Status: Are you brave to read this story?

Remember Who You Are

5

The celebration start right after sun down. People dance around a large fire, as others tells stories or play music. Jack is dancing around the fire with one of the girls. She won’t go to bed wit him though, I already warned everyone. Only if he proved to be a true warrior would he be able to wed one of the girls here.

Hawk sits next to me and holds my hand. When we were children, we would dance around the fire as well, but not tonight. Hawk father calls for silence and for everyone to sit down so he can tell the story of my father. I lean my heck on Hawk shoulder and he puts his other arm behind my back and rub his thumb up and down on my side.

“It was before Emily or her brother was born. We came face to face with a man, he meant us no harm but simply wanted to help us. In time of need and staring, he went in a search to save are people. He saved are people some how, how he did no one knows.” he says throwing his arms in the air and then they drop. “Years pass since the first time we seen him and saving are village. He came back a second time, to announce that his wife would have a second child. I told him with my wisdom it would be a girl.” he says gesturing to me and that only makes Hawk tighten his grip on me and kiss me on the head. “Weeks passed and I visit him, when I do his wife give birth to this young woman that sits before us. On this same night, I dream that my son is born and he was. This was and is a sign for them to be wed.”

A smile forms on my lips as Hawk kisses me on the head again.

“On the night of the falling stars, they will wed.”

Falling stars? “When is that?” I ask him, as Hawk starts to rock me a little bit.

“With in a month.” his father tells me simply.

A month? Would I even be back threw here in that amount of time? Would I have saved my brother by then?

Everyone starts to dance and sing once again.

Hawk gets up and helps me up, we walk to my tent. “What’s wrong?” he asks me, as he closes the flap.

“Will I be able to bring my brother back with in a month?” I ask softly, not facing him. I don’t want to do this now, I’m to worried.

He walks up behind me and puts his arms around me. “There nothing you can do Emily, he is gone.” he says softly.

I get out of his grip, as tears threaten to come out. “He’s not gone, he was taken and he needs to come home.” I whimper out.

“If he wanted to come back home, he would. You know that.” he tells me as he puts his hands on my hips. “Please, lets not talk about this tonight.”

“When then?” I whisper.

He kisses me softly. “Soon, I promise. Just let me be here with you now and let us be together.” he whispers back.

We kisses some more and soon are clothes are on the ground and we are naked together. He kisses my scares on my side and my leg, then we take the plunge together.

<*>

I’m awake and feel-different. I feel free, if that would make since. I turn on my side and look at Hawk sleeping face. He snores a little bit. We took the plunge together and now, we had one another in one another’s arms. Kissing him on the lips, he smiles agents mine.

“I’m sorry I’ve been gone for so long.” I whisper to him and then I get up to put on my clothes from before and go outside. Walking out on the rock the over looks the valley, there is sleeping hours along with their babies. Smoke is among them as well.

A dog comes running over to me, haply with its tale wagging. Leaning over I’m a little sour but it’s not to bad.

“How have you been doing Blue?” Blue is Hawk wolf dog. Given he has more dog in him, then wolf.

He licks my hand and whimpers, then sits on my feet.

I can’t help but smile at him. “I missed you to.”

There is soft laughter, that pulls my eyes away from Blue, My eyes land on Hawk as he walks over to us in a pair of leather pants with a smile on his face. “I missed you the most.” he says as I stand up right. He puts his arms around me and kisses me tenderly. “How do you feel?”

“Little sour. I’ll live.” I tell him.

He let’s go of me, picks up a stick and throws it for Blue to go after. “Guess you couldn’t sleep could you?” he looks over his shoulder at me.

I just shake my head no.

“What are you thinking about?” he asks softly as he stands up right.

Hawk has always been taller then me, but now he is a good foot taller, his broad chest is hard as stone, his stomach is strong just like his arms and legs, his hair is short and his dark brown eyes are sure of himself. This is the future leader of the Tribe. “Everything.”

He puts a stand of hair behind my ear and watch’s me closely. I can still remember the first time he became a wolf. I was so scared of him, that I ran and hid behind my mother. Only soon after we were playing and made up the game ‘I won’t back down’ course I have always gotten him to back down first. “There was nothing you could had done to stop what happened.” he tells me.

He’s right, I was young and I barley knew how to control my fire. Half the time when I was sick, I would calf and a fire ball would come out of my mouth. “I can get him back now.” I tell him softly.

Hawk and my brother never got a long, not when we were children at least. Though in his eyes, I can see that he still doesn’t like Brent. “Let him go Emily, he would come home to you if he wanted to.” he tells me, just like everyone else has for years.

I shake my head and walk to the edge of the rock hill, watching the horses eat. “Father once told me all the powers that man has, he could taken Brent memories and twisted them. I have to go find him.”

“Emily, I respected your father just like everyone else here did-but you have to understand that he was a full blood vampire just like your grandfather. They trick people easily and get what they want.” he says angrily.

Some how I thought if I got him mad at me, it would make things easier and so far, it’s only making me want to cry. “And me Hawk, do you trust me?” the sun will soon come up, I can feel it.

He walks up behind me and raps his arms around me and puts his face in my neck. “I love you Emily, I always have.”

“Then love me enough, to understand that I have to go get him. I need to bring him home.”

The sun comes up, showing that it’s a new day and in this new day, I would have to leave. Hawk says nothing, he just holds on to me as if, the girl he holds on to will be here tonight.

<*>

I left the village some time ago, with my journal to write and to give Hawk some space. He is angry and that’s good, but I don’t know how long he will be--he has always been quick to forgive me.

September 16

I want to stay with him, I want to stay with the people. Sadly though, not yet I can’t let my mission get away from me, no matter how happy I am.

When the sun starts to for the afternoon I will leave. It will give me time to say goodbye to the people, that my father befriend many years ago. I feel I have done the same, but they are still scared of me all the same. They are scared of what I am and fear that they will be the next victim I take. I have already feed from a fox trying to get their hen’s.

It’s ironic I think for what father said to me many years ago as a child, ‘I had the temper like a fox going after the hen’s’ and the fox is what I had.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looking up at the sky, it’s clear out and so it will make traveling easy-but not for long. I can feel the seasons start to shift, soon it will be winter and making traveling harder in some ways. A hawk fly’s over head screeching out, as it goes to the village. Getting up Smoke walks over to me and nudges me in the head, to let me know he is ready to go when I am.

Putting my journal away, I get up and get on Smoke, then we ride back to the village. Blue runs over to us as soon as he sees us. He dances around us with a happy wagging tail. “Where Hawk at Blue? Go find him.” I tell the dog and right away Blue goes in a hot run to go track down his friend.

Stopping Smoke, in front of my tent I grab my stuff and put his gear on. Then I lead him on ahead.

The people smile or wave at me, nothing more though. The Chief comes out of his tent and greats me. “Have something to show you.” he tells me and then he leads me to a small compact hut. He pulls back the flap to show baskets full of dead animals. “We hunted for you a few days ago, Hawk had a feeling you would come back.” he looks at me and his eyes are oh to sure of me. “But you are leaving us now, aren’t you.” he doesn’t ask, he just knows.

“Yes and he’s not happy about it.” I take two baskets of dead animals and put the on back of Smoke. They will feed my human side and my vampire side. As I am putting the last basket on the back of Smoke, I look up to see Hawk watching me with wanting and needing eyes. Sorrow fills my body, but I have to do what I have to do, no one can change or stop me. Not even him.