The Parting Glass

escape

Kili puffed on his wooden pipe, staring blankly at his boot covered feet. He glanced over to Nerida, who was sleeping soundly on the bed. She wanted to leave a couple of hours ago, but Kili insisted that she rest. Even if that stone had healed her wounds, traveling at night would not be wise. It would take almost a day to reach Fangorn on foot from their current location. He wondered how the rest of their journey would far without ponies. They’d never be able to outrun the wargs on foot; they wouldn’t even have a fighting chance.

Kili pulled the pipe from his scruffy face and blew out a couple of smoke rings. His eyes ventured to the open plains of Dunland. He licked his lips and ran his fingers through his dark brown hair. The dwarf put the pipe back into his mouth and puffed on it a few times. His eyes drifted in the direction of the Blue Mountains. It had been a week to the day since they had left and he wondered how his brother was faring. He leaned back in his chair and it creaked slightly under his weight.

“What are you thinking about?” Nerida asked tiredly.

Kili apologized, wishing he hadn’t awaken her from her slumber. He stood from his chair and walked over to her, kneeling down beside the bed. She smiled weakly at him and sighed softly.

“You don’t have to come with me,” she told him, meeting his warm brown eyes.

“Nonsense,” Kili commented, scrunching up his nose. “You can’t do this alone, I told you before. I’m coming and I will not take no for an answer.” He smiled at her, causing her to snicker.

“I wouldn’t blame you if you turned back,” Nerida assured him.

Kili huffed and shook his head. “I’m not talking about this,” he stood up, “you need help, so just accept it.” He put his pipe into his mouth and ventured back to the chair beside the window.

Nerida stared at him a for a moment and sat up in the bed. “You won’t be much use if you stay up all night.” She watched as he slowly turned his attention to her. “We can share the bed, it’s human sized after all.” Nerida scooted towards the other side of the bed and patted the empty space beside her.

Kili stared for a moment, debating if it was a good call. Nerida was a beautiful fairy, her was a scraggly albeit handsome dwarf. He was slightly taller than her, of course he was tall for a dwarf in general. His brown eyes ventured back to the window, watching the stars twinkling in the dark skies. Kili put his wooden pipe into his mouth and puffed on it.

“I don’t bite,” Nerida commented as she laid back on the bed.

Kili chuckled lightly and shook his head. He was about to retort, but a horn sounded off from outside the window. The dwarf got to his feet and stuck his head out the window to see what was going on. To the right, running down the main road were several men clad in heavy armor. Kili furrowed his brows and looked to the main gates of the village.

“What’s happening?” Nerida questioned as she came up to Kili.

Kili narrowed his eyes and yelped when and arrow pierced the wooden pane. He quickly grasped the arrow and yanked it from the wood, examining the tip carefully. His eyes widened as he realized it was the tip of an orcs arrow. Kili dropped the arrow and quickly shut the window, taking a few steps back. He turned on his heels and looked to nerida, who immediately understood and nodded her head.

“I told them this would happen,” Nerida muttered bitterly as she was slipping on the fur cloak Thorin had given her. “They’ll all be killed.” Her eyes started to water at the thought of more innocent blood spilled because of her.

Kili grabbed her arms and forced her to face him. His calloused hand gently graced her skin, sending shivers and jolts throughout her entire body. When their eyes locked, Nerida felt her heart skip a beat. “This isn’t your fault,” Kili told her firmly. “Don’t blame yourself.” He rubbed her cheek with his thumb, brushing away a single tear.

Nerida nodded once and Kili smiled at her. He let her go and grabbed his quiver and bow. They looked at each other once more and Kili let out a breath before going to the door. He placed his hand on the handle and pulled it open. In one fluid motion, Kili reached for an arrow and gracefully placed it on the wooden bow. He walked out into the hall and carefully moved towards the stairs.

“Kili!” Alice whispered from the first floor. She gestured for him to come down quietly. He nodded his head and looked back to Nerida, gesturing for her to stay close. As the two ventured down the stairs, Alice waved for them to follow her out the backdoor. She slipped through the door with the two of them on her heels. “They are looking for you,” Alice said when they got into the small alleyway behind the house.

“I told you,” Nerida replied sadly. “I’m sorry.”

“They want something,” Alice said, looking at Nerida. “Come, I will help you escape.”

“Why are you helping us? This is our...my fault,” Nerida informed Alice, who stiffened for a moment.

The redheaded woman sighed softly and looked back at Kili and Nerida. “Whatever they want...it can’t be good. I will help you because I don’t want them to get whatever it is they want.” Alice smiled weakly and continued on.

They didn’t go far before they reached what seemed to be an old pub. Alice opened the door and ushered the two inside. When they were both inside, she rushed in before someone spotted them. She pulled the door closed and locked it.

“Where are you taking us?” Kili asked.

“There is a secret passage,” Alice informed them as she ran around the bar.

A warg howl sounded and echoed through the small town. Nerida stared out the window and closed her eyes as the warg descended upon the village. An orange glow flashed out and the fairy princess swallowed hard as she watched the flames spread. She heard children screaming, sword clanking, men shouting, and horse hooves beating on the ground.

“Nerida!” Kili hissed from the other side of the bar.

The fairy princess shook her head and looked at Kili. He waved for her to hurry along and she nodded. When she went around the bar, she saw Alice had lifted up a wooden panel from the floor.

“Where does this lead?” Nerida asked, looking to Alice.

“It’s an old slaver route,” Alice explained, looking down into the dark square hole in the ground. She licked her lips and sucked in a sharp breath when the glass in the window shattered. “Quickly! Go now!” Alice urged, pointing to the entry.

“What about you?” Kili asked, turning his attention to Alice. She stood up and smiled at him weakly. “You could come with us.”

“No,” Alice said with a single shake of her head. “I must stay. Now go.” She waved them off and looked to the window as a warg came stalking forth. When Alice looked back to where Kili and Nerida once where, they were gone. She swallowed hard and quickly shut the panel, turning her attention to the warg as blood dripped from his jagged fangs.

The wiry haired beast snarled at her and crouched low, preparing to strike. Alice glanced to the back door she had lead Kili and Nerida through. She took in a sharp breath and jumped for the door as the massive monster lunged at her. Thousands of glass shards and wooden splinters flew through the air as the large wolf like creature charged. Alice didn’t dare look back at the creature, she only scrambled for the door.

When she flung the door open, she felt a sharp pain in her stomach. Her eyes shut tightly and tears started to form. Alice let out a shaky breath and slowly looked down, seeing a silver hooked blade piercing through her. She dropped to her knees and the brutish orc came forth with loud heavy steps. Alice stared up at him as he smirk maliciously and yanked his sword from her gut.

“Where are they wretch?” the orc painted with blood growled at her. His skin was black and covered with old battle wounds. His teeth were twisted and stained yellow with black and purple colored gums. “I can smell them,” he snorted, kneeling down beside her.

“Burn in hell,” Alice managed to choke out, blood oozing from the corners of her mouth.

The orc narrowed his beady eyes at her and grasped her head. In one quick motion, he snapped her neck and let her fall to the ground. As the orc stood he turned to the large warg behind him and mounted the beast.

“Burn the village to the ground!” he roared, lifting his bloodied sword into the air and urged his warg forward.