The Parting Glass

hunted

“What troubles are you letting your brother into?” Dis, the mother of the two brothers, asked as she was preparing dinner. “We know nothing about this girl and you both just bring her back.” She shook her head, knowing her sons were being very reckless. The girl seemed harmless, but time has taught her that even the smallest things could be a threat. As she began peeling some potatoes, she heard footsteps approaching and turned to see her youngest standing in the doorway.

“I know you think I’m being reckless, but we couldn’t just leave her out there. She would have died on her own.” Kili walked over to the table his mother was standing at. He smiled weakly at her and she touched the side of his face before glancing at Fili, who shrugged his shoulders. “You worry too much, mother.”

“No, I worry just the right amount,” she scolded, patting his cheek before returning to her cooking. “You are reckless.”

“I hear it’s hereditary,” Kili said with a cheeky grin, earning a scowl.

“He fancies her,” Fili chimed.

Kili turned to his older brother and snorted before looking back at his mother, who bore her all-knowing smile. He shook his head, telling them they were wrong. Deep down though, he knew it was true. She was a pretty girl and she was mysterious, it was enticing to him.

“I will be going now.” All three had turned to the person who had spoke. “Thank you, but I must keep moving.” She bowed to the three of them and sighed softly, looking at Kili. Ripping away her emerald gaze, the young girl turned on her heels and began walking towards the door.

“Wait!” Kili shouted, going after her. She didn’t stop though, she continued on her way and didn’t even glance back to him. “Your wounds haven’t even healed yet and you haven’t had anything to eat. It gets cold here durning the nights, you’ll freeze.” He was standing behind her as she stared at the door, her hand inches from the metal handle.

She let her hand fall back to her side and brushed a strand of hair behind her ear. Licking her lips, the young girl turned around and stared at Kili curiously. He was the first person she had come across in a long time that seemed to have a genuine interest in her well being. His eyes were so warm and filled with kindness and mischief. For the past two years all she had known were cruel, heartless, emotionless stares. This change was so foreign to her, she almost didn’t want to believe it.

“I have healed up fine,” she said simply, glancing down at her ankle. It was true, she had used the magic within the stone to heal her wounds. Before she was taken from her people, she used to be a healer. “I must go.” She turned back to the door and placed her hand on the handle. Just as she pulled it open, Kili ran up to her side and pushed it shut. She growled and glared at him.

“Stay for dinner,” Kili requested gently and she shook her head. “Mother’s cooking is wonderful.” He smiled at her and she rolled her eyes, knowing he wouldn’t let her leave. Removing her hand from the handle, she huffed and crossed her arms over her chest. A long time ago, she never would have been submissive, but after years of being slave to men it was all she knew how to do. She used to fight, she used to argue, but after lashes to her bare back and being locked in a cell to the brink of starvation; her will had been broken.

“You are persistent,” she told him and glanced to the entry way of the kitchen where Fili and their mother stood watching. “Please, let me go.”

“What are you running from?” Dis asked, drying her hands with a dish cloth as she walked forward. Her eyes examined the girl closely, searching for answers.

“That is none of your concern,” the girl replied simply.

“I’m afraid it is, because we are involved,” Dis shot back, narrowing her dark brown eyes. “So tell us.”

“I am being hunted,” she stated firmly, hoping it would get them to let her go. She assumed they wouldn’t want any trouble. “They will find me, I must go before they find me.” She was staring right back into Dis’s eyes.

“Who is hunting you?” Kili asked, his curiosity peaked. The adventure he had been waiting for was finally here and had come in the package of a beautiful young maiden. When she looked at him he could see the worry in her eyes. They were glowing with a desire to run before these hunters found her. “We can help you.”

“Kili,” Fili scolded, knowing his brother was about to dig their graves. They knew nothing of this girl, they didn’t even know her name yet. It was obvious that Kili had fallen under the spell of her beauty. “We don’t even know her name.”

When Kili turned to face his brother, the young maiden took this as her chance to run. She grabbed the door handle and flung it open, running out before any of them could stop her. The one named Kili had called for her to come back, but she didn’t. She had to leave, she had to get the Hesperus and return it to its rightful place. This was something she had to do on her own, something she could tell no one about.

As she raced through the streets of the village, she hoped that they would not be outside its walls awaiting to bring her down.
Image

He sat atop a stallion so black it seemed like darkness had become embodied in a horse shape. The stallion snorted and kicked at the ground, becoming impatient as they stared at the village at the foot of the Blue Mountains. He pulled on the reins, causing the stallion to lifted its head higher. His face was covered by the shadow of his black hood.

“She is down there,” another spoke, coming forth on foot. The wind blew past them and caused their cloaks to flap like bird wings. “What shall we do my lord?” the man asked, looking up to his leader.

“Send in the wargs, cut down anyone in your path,” he answered in a deep voice.

The orc beside him nodded once and walked towards his beast. They were large like horses, but more like wolves with wiry dark brown hair. Their fangs were sharp and their eyes cold, anyone who crossed a warg pack would never be able to forget the terrifying sight. Just like the beast they rode, the orcs were monstrous creatures with black mouths, yellow teeth, and gray skin. Their hair was matted and their armor was dark and bore many spikes.

“Go!” the leader of the group shouted, raising a jagged blade into the air.

As the warg pack and their riders descended from the cliff side they were on the figure atop the stallion chuckled lightly. “Run as much as you like Princess Nerida, I will find that stone.” He turned his stallion towards the shadows of the trees and urged his horse forwards. When he looked up through the trees, he smirked as the golden moon slowly began to turn red like blood.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment. subscribe. recommend.
I hope you all are enjoying this story so far.
Most of the chapters are going to be between 1000 to 1500 words in length for more frequent updates.
Until next time, lovelies!

Image

-Crystel