The Parting Glass

princess

Thorin was enraged and Kili knew it. Anyone with a drop of common sense could see the future King Under the Mountain was storming with anger. The city that lay beneath the high peaks of the Blue Mountains had been stained with dwarfish blood. His kin, friends, and followers had been ruthlessly slaughtered by a wave of orc and wargs, not to mention the savage cave trolls they unleashed. To Thorin it seemed like a repeat to the calamity of the dragon that took away his home. Fire had burned down many homes and shops, innocent lives lost, and now they were left in a ruin.

“We can rebuild, they didn’t destroy the whole city,” Kili spoke after several minutes of silence. Thorin turned to his nephew and narrowed his eyes, shaking his head in disappointment. Knowing he had said something he shouldn’t, Kili looked down in defeat.

“Thorin Oakenshield,” Nerida spoke softly as she sat in a wooden chair, wrists and ankles bound by chains. “You must let me go.” She stared into his eyes, hoping to find reason behind all the anger. She understood this kind of loss, it was all too familiar to her. Just as the warg pack had ravaged the Blue Mountains, they had done so to her own home.

“They came for something,” Thorin said in a gruff voice, approaching Nerida. “What is it?” he questioned, narrowing his eyes at the young maiden.

“They are looking for me,” Nerida responded harshly. “They will come again. If you wish to save what’s left of your city, you must release me.” She gazed at Thorin, watching the shadows caused by the flickering firelight to dance across his face. Nerida could see the uncertainty within him, which did not bode well for her.

“They didn’t want you,” Thorin seethed as he slammed his clenched fist onto the wooden table.

Nerida sighed heavily and looked to Kili. He bit his lip and gestured for her to speak the truth. This was not a struggle for dwarves and she hated their stubbornness. They could easily be removed from this problem if they would just let her go. All she needed was a little food and water and she would be on her way. These dwarves though seemed relentless in letting her go. She understood they had questions, but there was no time. Nerida could feel the evil coming closer and closer. Another warg pack would be at the Blue Mountains again in two days time. If she left now, they’d never come near the dwarves.

“Your hostility is wrongly placed, Thorin Oakenshield,” Nerida hissed at him, deciding she would be forceful now. She would do anything she could to protect this city. Her heart and mind could not handle another city falling because of her. “If you wish for your people to live, let me go!” she snapped, struggling in her bounds.

“Uncle,” Kili intervened.

“Not until you tell me what they are after, it destroyed our home,” Thorin said firmly.

Nerida scoffed and shook her head. “That is no concern of a dwarf,” Nerida shot at him.

“You think I was born yesterday?” Thorin snapped at her, reaching for her neck. Kili was about to stop his uncle, but Thorin pointed the tip of his blade at him. Staring at his uncle in disbelief, Kili held his hands up and took a step back. Thorin grabbed the thin silver chain around Nerida’s neck and slowly pulled it out from beneath her dress. “Lacrima Vesperum.”

Nerida looked into Thorin’s eyes as he held the stone in his calloused palm. She cursed at him when he pulled the chain hard, ripping it from her neck. He held it before her face and she looked away in annoyance.

Kili looked at the teardrop stone for a moment before turning to look at Nerida. He knew that there was something odd about her. When he was a young dwarf, he heard the old dwarves in the blacksmith shops speaking of jewels and precious metals, one in particular they talked about was Lacrima Vesperum. It was found by the dwarven people during the first age and was given to the King of the White Willow in hopes of healing medicines for a terrible sickness that had overcome the dwarves.

The King of the White Willow agreed to help the dwarves and saved them from their illness that slowly turned their bodies into stone. They could it Stone Sickness and it nearly wiped out the dwarf race. The King provided the medicine and as a payment the dwarves gave him and his people the Lacrima Vesperum. As the King had taken his payment, he placed the teardrop shaped jewel into a sacred chamber within his kingdom.

“You are of the White Willow,” Thorin said to Nerida, who slowly nodded. “What has happened?”

“It is none of your concern,” Nerida replied bitterly.

Thorin was growing angry again and licked his lips. “This stone came from my people.”

“That stone belonged to mine,” Nerida corrected. “It was not yours to own. It is a piece of the Hesperus.”

Kili tilted his head, he’d never heard of that name before. His interest had been peaked. He stared at Nerida and could see that she was slowly losing her will. Whatever she had been through before had worn her down. For some reason he couldn’t seem to stop himself, even though he knew his uncle would not approve.

“Uncle,” Kili interrupted, taking a step forward. “Perhaps we should let her rest and think about what is too come.”

“Are you mad!” Nerida barked, glaring coolly at Kili. “We have no time! Untie me at once!”

The door of Thorin’s home came open and all three turned to see who came. Fili stood in the doorway, covered in sweat and blood, looking like death itself. His hair was matted to his face, his arm scratched and torn, and his weapons dripping with orc blood. As he stumbled in, panting heavily, Kili ran to his side to help him before he fell.

“We’ve killed them all,” Fili managed to say just as Kili got him to a chair.

“Rest now,” Thorin said to his fair haired nephew, patting his shoulder in an approving manner. “You’ve done well.” He smiled weakly and turned back to Nerida.

“Your people barely survived this attack and this was only a small wave,” Nerida explained, hoping that Thorin would listen to reason. “He will send more and more until he finds me. I’ve been running from him for weeks, please let me help you.” Her green eyes were shining with a dim hope.

“How can we trust you?” Thorin asked.

“What reasons have I given you not to trust me?” Nerida shot back with narrowed eyes. “Your stubbornness will be your downfall.” She fell silent after those words and watched him as he turned away.

Kili looked at Nerida, slightly impressed that her sharp tongue was able to fight Thorin. His uncle was more stubborn that most dwarves and he knew it was because of the horrors he had seen. The young dwarf sighed softly and looked to his uncle, who closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose.

Just when Thorin was about to speak, Fili began coughing up blood. Kili gasped and tried to keep his brother upright, watching in fear as the blood poured from the corners of his mouth. Thorin went to Fili’s side and commanded that Kili help get him over to the bed. As they moved him across the room, Nerida watched and spotted a large tear on his pants. She knew that an orc’s blade had pierced his skin, meaning he’d been poisoned. When they laid him down, Kili scurried over to the kitchen to get a wash cloth and some water.

“He’s been poisoned,” Nerida said, watching as the two dwarves removed Fili’s armor. She could see his skin was paling and his body was becoming clammy with sweat. His eyes were becoming cloudy as the poison spread through his blood. “He will not last long.”

“Can you save him?” Kili asked, walking towards her. In his hand he held a sharp knife and looked at her with hope. “If you can, please save my brother.” She could see the worry and sorrow in his eyes. When she looked away, she heard Fili coughing again.

“I will save him,” Nerida spoke out and looked up at Kili. “Untie me.”

Just as Kili went to undo the chains, Thorin called to him. “I’m not losing my brother,” Kili said and undid the chains, letting them clamor onto the floor. He took a step back and nodded to Nerida. As she stood up, she smiled at Kili weakly and went over to Fili. He was beginning to shake and Nerida could see the evil spreading through him. She would have to work fast or he would be lost forever.

“Place the stone on his chest,” Nerida commanded, looking up at Thorin. As he did was she said, Nerida waved her hands over the stone and along the length of Fili’s body. “Heal the hurt, banish the evil, change the fate, save the lost, and bring back life.” The stone of Fili’s body began to glow and Nerida brought her hands together, palm to palm, and bowed her head as if she were praying.

Moments later the light faded away and Fili started breathing normally. Nerida took the stone from his chest and touched the side of his face and closed her eyes. She smiled softly and removed her hand from his face. The fairy princess turned from where she stood and looked into the eyes of Thorin Oakenshield and his nephew. They seemed bewildered and amazed by what they had just witnessed.

“He will live,” Nerida said as she stood to her feet. “I am Princess Nerida Whitewood of the White Willow. I am all that is left of that realm.” She tied the chain back around her neck and let the pendent rest on her chest.

“Thank you,” Kili said with a warm smile.

“Tell me,” Thorin began, “what happened to your people.”

Nerida had finally given in. She could see that Thorin would not let her leave until she explained herself. Running her fingers through her hair, she took a seat in the chair beside Fili’s bed. It was not something she cared to speak of.

“My mentor, Oren, betrayed our people. He wanted to use the power of Hesperus, but in order to get there he needed Lacrima Vesperum,” Nerida paused for a moment and stared at Thorin and Kili, “My father locked Hesperus away, so that no would be seduce by its power.”

“But Hesperus was a healing jewel,” Thorin said.

“Yes,” Nerida replied with a single nod. “However, if put into the wrong hands it could be a weapon of calamity.”

“So where are you taking Lacrima Vesperum?” Kili asked.

“I’m taking it to the Fountain of the Gods,” Nerida replied.

“You saved my brother’s life, I will accompany you.” Kili stood up and smiled at Nerida, who looked at him in surprise. “And you will not talk me out of it.”

♠ ♠ ♠
comment. recommend. subscribe.
thanks for reading everyone! I hope you are enjoying this story.