‹ Prequel: Wretched and Divine
Status: active

Ohio Is for Lovers

Chapter Nineteen

Jake was sound asleep next to her and Andy was in the next room over, passed out on their couch. Jake was going to wake up in the morning and see a hungover Andy on their couch and wonder what happened. What was she supposed to say? That she picked up his wasted ass off the sidewalk and brought him back to their place so he could crash? She knew that wasn't going to fly with Jake and she knew deep down that Jake was still mad at Andy for everything he had done. And what had Andy meant by "Jake will be mad when he finds out I'm still in love with you"? Her mind felt like a tangled bunch of earphones that could never be undone. It was almost 4 AM and she hadn't gotten an ounce of sleep for the past two days with thinking about all this.

She rolled onto her side so her back was facing Jake. The last thing she wanted was to be looking at him . She felt guilty, but why should she? She let her weary eyes begin to close. They hadn't rested in over 48 hours and her mind was beginning to go stir crazy from lack of sleep. She drifted off into slumber and heard Jake's alarm sounding softly in the background. She was gone before she could hear him turn it off.

Jake sat up and looked over at Lena sound asleep next to him. He let his heavy hand stroke her soft blonde hair and he yawned deeply before drawing back the blankets and letting his feet make contact with the hardwood floor. He passed through the doorway of the bedroom and rubbed his eyes as he yawned one more time. Without noticing Andy, he passed by the back of the couch and headed into the kitchen. The fridge always held the same things despite his hopeful imagination that something new might have magically appeared overnight. Sighing, he closed the fridge and noticed a plastic crushed up water bottle abandoned on the side table next to the couch.

"I don't remember leaving that there..." He muttered to himself as his bare feet shuffled against the carpet. When he approached the couch, he saw a person who he wasn't expecting to be there. He furrowed his eyebrows and rubbed his eyes again, believing he must be still asleep and this was all a dream. Why would Andy asleep on his couch?

He extended a hesitant hand and started gently shaking Andy which didn't do much except get a small groan out of him.

"Lena, please..." Andy mumbled in his sleep.

Jake's foggy mind immediately cleared out and the puzzle pieces began to click into place. Andy was here because of Lena. "What the fuck?!" Jake yelled, pushing Andy off the couch and onto the floor.

A startled Andy jumped up off the floor and stared at Jake. His head began to pound and he reached up with one hand to soothe his throbbing temple. "Jake? What are you doing in my apartment?" Andy wondered.

"Excuse me?!" Jake was furious. "You're in my apartment. Why are you even in my apartment? Trying to steal Lena away from me again? Just when things are starting to look up for me... For us... For me and her... you have to go and screw it all up again. That's all you're good for, Andy; fucking everyone over."

Andy could feel his anger rising. Jake was yelling at him for no reason. He didn't even remember last night or how he got to Jake's apartment in the first place.

Jake's phone alarm sounding from the other room broke the two apart for a moment. Jake shook his head. "I forgot to shut off my stupid alarm..." He hurried back into his room to silence the alarm before it woke up Lena. He knew she hadn't been getting much sleep lately. He typed in his password and noticed an unread text from who other than Andy.

Jake, I'm really drunk and I think I'm in love with Lena

Jake dropped the phone on the bed and stormed out into the living room where Andy was now sitting on the couch, clutching his head.

"Oh, your head hurting you?" Jake asked as he approached Andy from behind.

"Yeah," Andy groaned without bothering to turn around. "I think I drank too much last night."

"You don't say..." Jake said ominously. "How about I help you make that pain go away, huh?"

The next thing Andy knew, he was pinned to the ground and Jake was throwing blow after blow to his face. He struggled against him but Jake was too strong and Andy was too hungover to fight back. He started yelling, but what good was that going to do.

"Lena, help, please!" Andy shouted but Lena couldn't see where he was.

"Andy?" She called out to him to which he responded with more cries for help.

Jake appeared from the shadows and cut through the dark gray fog as though he were made of knives. "Don't worry, Lena. I took care of Andy so we could be together. He won't bother us anymore, I promise."

"What?" Lena was confused and scared. Jake's eyes began to turn red and a devilish grin crawled across his lips. He reached for her hands and her skin burned at his touch.

"Don't worry, Lena." He repeated, his voice becoming distorted and strange.

"Help me!" Andy's cries for help sounded again.

Lena looked in the direction of Andy's pleas and tried to escape from Jake's fiery grasp but he seized her again. She stared into his blood red eyes and a switch blade appeared in his fingers. The blade glinted in the light and he held the cool metal to the skin of her neck. Just as he was about to pull the blade...


Lena shot up in bed and wiped the tears from her cheeks. She could hear Andy yelling in the living room and when she looked next to her, Jake was gone. She bolted out of bed and into the living room where she saw Jake sitting on top of Andy and wailing punches on him.

"What are you doing?!" She cried hysterically. "Jake, stop!" She yelled and grabbed his arms.

He stopped, looked at her, looked to Andy, then looked at his own two fists covered in Andy's blood. "Oh my god." Realization came over him like the wrath of God and he stood up immediately. "What am I doing? This isn't me."

Lena rushed to Andy's side and helped him sit up. Luckily he was able to block some of Jake's punches and only came out of it with bruised up arms, some bleeding where his lip piercing was and busted brow but he was in much better shape than he could have been.

Lena guided Andy past Jake and to the bathroom so he could wash his face clean of the blood that was beginning to dry and cake.

"What is wrong with you?" Jake turned around to see Lena standing there with her arms folded across her chest in utter disbelief and disgust.

"Lena, I don't know what that was. I just..."

"I don't even know who you are anymore." Her words stung like a thousand scorpions. She pushed past him and ran into the hallway outside their apartment door. "And you wondered why I moved back to Ohio." She said before she slammed the door shut in his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
So... I really don't know how it went into this direction but it did and yeah have some drama