‹ Prequel: Wretched and Divine
Status: active

Ohio Is for Lovers

Chapter Twenty-One

Her mind was reeling with anxiety. The more she thought about the situation, the worse her feelings grew. Deep down, she knew this wasn't her fault but she couldn't help but think it was. She brought Andy back to their apartment. If she hadn't, none of this would have happened. But it was Jake's rage that was the problem. She had to stop blaming herself for everything that happened.

With shaking fingers, she reached for the pack of cigarettes she just bought that sat in her back pocket. She shook a stick out into the palm of her hand and placed it in between her lips, striking the lighter and inhaling a gallon of smoke into her lungs. She needed something to calm her erratic nerves. CC had told her to just wait by the subway station near this small cafe that he loves.

She blew smoke out into the air above her head and gazed up at the sky. The sun was hiding behind a cloud but the sky was the most blue she'd ever seen it in the city. It reminded her of home.

"Lena?" A man's confused, and shocked voice sounded from about 10 feet away from her.

She looked over to see a surprised Derek rushing over to her. "Derek?!" Her anxiety joined the hiding sun behind the clouds and her lips spread into a wide smile. She had never been so happy to see someone in her whole life. "What-What are you doing here?!" She flicked her cigarette out and dropped it on the concrete sidewalk, stomping on it as she hugged him. It was one of those 'I missed you' hugs; the ones where the larger person of the two wraps their arms around the other in a protective embrace holding the other person tightly against their chest. She felt warm with him. She felt home in his arms.

"I'm here on a business trip, actually!" He exclaimed, releasing their close contact but still holding on to both of her hands. He honestly never thought he would see her again.

"I'm so happy you're here." She stated, tears welling up in her eyes and reaching for his muscular trunk of an abdomen. She buried her face in his chest and tried not to let her tears stain his expensive looking oxford shirt.

He rubbed circles on her back and rested his chin on the top of her head. "Well," He began, pulling away from her. "Since I'm here, what do you say we do lunch?"

"Oh..." She trailed off. "I don't have any money on me. I--" She was about to tell him how she left the apartment in a distressed flurry but he cut her off when he started shaking his head.

"Don't worry, it's on me." He insisted. She gave him a weak smile and agreed. She was getting a little hungry after all.

They started down the street and their hands quickly found each other. His touch was gently and warm. A pool of heat welled up in the center of their contacted palms. Was this wrong? Was this cheating? She wasn't sure but she also didn't really care at this specific moment. Derek was like a piece of home that she needed in this moment. Andy and Jake were the source of most of her frustration and stress at the moment. Derek was like a breath of fresh air after being cooped up in a small room for days. So she let Derek hold her hand; she let the feeling of home was over her as his grip on her hand grew snug; she allowed herself to be happy.

Jake, in a panicked haste, burst through the doors of the apartment complex and ran down the street, pushing through groups of people with no regret or apology. He reached the end of the block where Derek and Lena had just been. He stared across the street and glared as he saw his girlfriend holding hands with another man.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if this is short and also I apologize for the late update. Barely anyone is reading this on here anymore anyway.