Status: updating when I can

That One Summer

Chapter 13- Something Real

Dean drummed his fingers on the steering wheel, his eyes flitting nervously around the college campus. Shit, if only she’d hurry up…if anyone saw his Impala parked here he would have to endure questions he wasn’t quite ready to answer yet.

“Damn girl, could you be any slower?” he grumbled to himself.

“Reign it in, big boy,” her voice was suddenly coming from the outside the passenger window. “Crowley had me shelve a couple extra books, no need to get in a snit.”

Dean felt a smile spread across his face as she opened the door and slid into the passenger seat. Fuck, how did she always look so damn pretty? Today it was red Capri pants and a black tank top. Simple, but hugging those exceptional curves perfectly.

“Just didn’t want anyone to see us, that’s all,” he reached over to push a flyaway strand of hair off her forehead. “Not sure I’m ready to face the barrage of questions from the people we call our friends.”

December Rae leaned into his touch, an understanding smile on her face. “I know what you mean. Well then, get over here and give me a proper hello kiss and we’ll get going.”

Dean’s smile stretched even wider as he leaned over to press his lips softly to hers. Fuck, he could never get tired of kissing her. Today she tasted like spearmint bubble gum and cheap chapstick. He let out a soft sigh of contentment against her lips.

“Mmmmm, just as good as I remembered,” December Rae teased playfully, giving him a last soft peck on the lips before pulling away. “Now, good sir, take me away from this dreary place!”

Dean laughed, putting Baby in reverse and pulling out of the parking lot. They chatted amicably as they drove back to his apartment, big silly smiles plastered to both their faces.

“So I was thinking pizza and a movie?” Dean said, glancing at her out of the corner of his eye. “I’ve got all sorts of movies, pretty much everything except mushy romance girl crap, of course.”

December Rae giggled. “Sounds perfect. I’m not one for romance movies anyways. I think I’m up for something with Eastwood tonight, haven’t watched him in a while.”

Dean eyes widened. “You like Clint Eastwood?”

“Dude, of course I do,” December Rae replied, looking at Dean like he had three heads. “Dirty Harry is fucking brilliant.”

“You just got like, a thousand times more attractive,” Dean let out a low whistle, grinning. “Fucking pretty as hell girl who hits like a dude, can drink and loves Clint Eastwood? Where have you been all my life?”

A soft blush spread across her face, her pink lips parted in an embarrassed smile. “Oh, you know. Around.”

Dean smiled softly at her flushed cheeks, his heart doing an erratic flip in his chest. Without a second thought, he reached over and gently tangled his fingers between hers. “Well, I’m glad you’re around here now.”

December Rae squeezed his hand, her sweet blue eyes shining. “So am I, Dean. So am I.”

An hour and a half later they were settled in on his beat up couch, surrounded by greasy pizza boxes and empty beer bottles, A Fistful of Dollars playing on the small screen in front of them. Dean laughed as December Rae did another horrible Eastwood impression, her beer bottle flying around as she waved her arms recklessly. They’d both had a few beers, and were feeling warm and tipsy.

“Do ya feel lucky, punk? Well, DO YA?” she practically shouted in his face, giggling as he pretended to screw up his face in disgust at her beer breath.

“I’m not feeling lucky right now, chew some gum,” he grinned, pushing her playfully away. “And your impressions are terrible!”

“Oh shut up Winchester,” December Rae fell back against the arm of the couch, still giggling. “I’ve had like 4 beers, I am not up to par. And your breath smells just as bad!”

“Poor manners for a second date,” Dean took another long swig of beer. “I should have brought my breath mints.”

“You don’t have any here?” December Rae teased. “Though you would keep some next to your condoms.”

Dean coughed, his mouthful of beer getting stuck in his throat. “Who says I have any condoms?”

“Oh come on,” December Rae prodded his thigh with her foot. “I can put two and two together. Cocky attitude, hot body…you are one hell of a ladies man, Dean Winchester. Not to mention Meg and Jo might have said something about your, uh, extra curricular activities.”

“Damn gossips,” Dean groaned, rubbing a hand over his face. Perfect. He didn’t need December Rae to know all the dirty details of his past hookups. Damn Meg and Jo and their loose mouths when they got drunk.

“Hey, it’s all good,” December Rae shrugged. “What’s in your past is in your past. I ain’t here to judge. You should see my best friend Kitty. Girl’s open all over town.”

“It’s not something I’m proud of. Well not anymore,” Dean shifted uncomfortably in his seat, suddenly feeling hot at the direction the conversation was headed. “I like sex, sure, but, those one night stands, they got empty over the years, you know?”

He looked over at December Rae, who looked as if she knew exactly what he meant. “I just,” he sighed, “I just want something real. I’m 30 years old, December Rae. I’m too old to be chasing tail and having a different girl in my bed every weekend. I want one girl who I can be loyal to, who I can take care of and who will keep me warm at night. I just want someone who wants me for me, all of me, not just the fun and the sex. It’s time for something serious, you know? Enough of being that guy, the one who leaves before the sun is even up, who never calls you back and can’t remember your name. I’m done with him. For good.”

He finished, shaking his head almost incredulously at his sudden speech. Fuck, where had all that came from? He was like a fucking lifetime movie. Since when did a few beers turn him into a such a pussy.

“Fuck, I can’t believe I just said all that,” he let out a shaky laugh, scratching at the back of his neck awkwardly. “Kinda heavy for a second date.” He gave December Rae a nervous glance. Shit, what was she thinking right now? He didn’t want to scare her off. He really, really fucking liked her. And he knew she liked him too, but he basically asked her in a weird roundabout way to stick around for a long time. Was it too soon for that? They’d only just decided they even actually liked each other. He was still an emotional mess, and she was obviously hiding things too. Getting serious would involve reopening wounds, digging up what had been buried. Was she ready for that? Was he even ready for that?

December Rae answered his internal questions for him. Before he could open his mouth to say anything else, she was across the couch and in his lap, hands in his hair and lips covering his. She kissed him like he’d kissed her two days ago on the sidewalk, hard and full of purpose. He responded in kind, his arms winding around her body like a vice. A low groan built in the back of his throat as she twisted her hips into his, her nails scratching against his scalp. Without thinking, one of his hands slipped beneath the back of her shirt, and his crotch twitched enthusiastically at the appreciative mew that escaped her mouth. HE spread his hand flat against the small of her back, reveling in the soft skin.

That action caused her to pull back out of the kiss, and he quickly removed his hand from under her shirt guiltly.

“Sorry, getting a bit carried away,” he mumbled sheepishly, choosing to settle his hand on her denim clad hip instead.

December Rae smiled softly at him, her hands leaving his hair to rest gently on the sides of his face. It was a sweet gesture, and he felt his heart stutter in his chest.

“Its okay,” she said quietly, one finger absently tracing along his hairline. “I started it.” She looked down, taking a deep breath as if to steady herself. When she looked back up at him, her eyes were uncertain.

“Look Dean,” she continued her methodical tracing. “What you said, it should scare the crap out of me. I mean, we’ve only known each other for a month or so, and we spent most of that time hating each others guts. This is only our second date. But this feels so fucking right, me and you. You want something real? Well I do too. With you. But,” she sucked in a breath through her teeth, a pained expression crossing her face, “but I can’t give you everything you want. At least in the bed warming department, not right away. I’ve had, well, some not so great experiences in the past. Sure, getting trashed and having sex is one thing. But sober sex with someone I care about, that’s a whole other story. One I will tell you, just not right now. We’ll get there. If you can respect that, then I’m in. I’ll be your something real.”

Dean sat in stunned silence as she finished her speech, looking at him with expectant eyes. Well, tonight had certainly taken a turn he hadn’t expected. The old Dean would be balking at such things, commitment and a lack of sex. But this Dean, he didn’t care. He wanted December Rae for her. He wanted to know what (or more likely who) made her hurt, and he wanted to tear them to pieces with his bare hands. He wanted something real, and it was right in front of him, all wrapped up in a brown haired, blue eyed, soft pretty package.

HE gently leaned his forehead against hers, feeling the soft whoosh of her breath wash over his face. He rubbed his nose gently against hers, watching her eyes close at the contact. “December Rae, be my something real.”

Her eyes stayed closed, but her lips spilt into a wide smile. “Dean Winchester, I would love to be your something real.”

Dean chuckled, reaching up to gently cup the back of her head. “Seal it with a kiss? I promise my hands will behave.”

December Rae laughed, a happy sound that warmed his body to the very core. “Oh Dean, you are too much, you know that right?”

But he didn't respond, because his lips were far too busy kissing the laughter off of hers.