The Boy Next Door

ten.

Ella moved around the kitchen, chopping up ingredients and throwing them into the pan. Harry was on the phone in the other room, but when he finished he perched himself on the edge of the counter and watched her.

“Something smell’s delicious,” Harry smiled, sticking his nose in the air and inhaling, “I’ll have to do more good deeds so you’ll have to cook for me more often.” Ella smiled to herself, shaking her head as she finished chopping up the mushrooms and throwing them in.

“I’ll cook whenever you want, I can’t have you wasting away, now can I?” Ella laughed, turning the hob down and putting it on to just simmer. She turned her body around to face Harry and leant back against the counter she had been using.

“Very true,” Harry pointed, “What sort of friend would you be if you allowed that to happen?” Ella looked at Harry when he called her a friend. She knew they were friends, but sometimes the flirting and touching made her feel like they were a little further than friends. But then again, maybe Harry was lacking affection in his life and was self-consciously putting it onto Ella.

“How about you set up the table and make us a drink?” Ella suggested, giving the food a stir. Harry jumped off the counter and began going to work to put the mats and cutlery on the table. He even lit a few odd candles he had lying around and centred them on the table. Ella bit on her bottom lip, realising this felt a lot like a date.

“Red, white or rose?” Harry asked, lifting out two wine glasses from the cupboard.

“Rose please.” Ella replied. Wine just added to the feel of all this being a date, but she knew it wasn’t because Harry had called them friends. He was just being polite and making this as nice as possible.

When dinner was ready, Ella set the plates down as they sat down and ate. Harry complimented her cooking, wolfing down the contents very quickly that Ella had to warn him that he would get indigestion. Harry had given her a sloppy smile and she just beamed back because his smile was irresistible, even when he had food in his mouth.

“Well that was absolutely fantastic, Watson!” Harry sat back and rubbed his flat stomach. Ella put her cutlery together, pleased she had finished the entire dish since she had gone overboard and made loads.

“I’m glad you liked it.” Ella replied, standing up and reaching out the grab the plates, but Harry’s hand reached out and stopped her.

“Just leave them and go pick a film, I’ll clean up in here.” Ella thanked him and headed into the living area where she fell to the floor by his DVD collection. Every time Ella came to his house, it became more crowded with his belongings, showing Harry was slowly but surely moving in. When she had originally saw little belongings, Ella worried he wasn’t planning on hanging around much longer.

“What did you pick?” His voice pulled her out of her little trance. Ella blushed realising she hadn’t even looked and was too caught up in thinking about Harry. She really needed to get herself together.

“Uhmm, how about The Hunger games 2?” Ella asked and Harry smiled.

“I haven’t seen it yet, so yeah sure.” Harry sat beside her and took the DVD from her hands, pressing a few buttons and placing the disc into the slot. Ella jumped to her feet and headed towards the sofa that Harry had already made up with lots of pillows and a blanket. However just as she was about to sit, Harry cleared his throat. Ella stared down at him and raised an eyebrow.

“What?” She asked, propping her hands on her hips.

Harry held a hand up, “I can’t get up!” He pouted, causing Ella to shake her head and roll her eyes.

“Seriously? You’re such a lazy arse!” She chuckled, slapping her hand in his and using all her strength to pull him to his feet. Harry kicked down and pushed himself up as well, so she almost went flying back, but luckily Harry reached his arms out and pulled her to him, steadying Ella on her feet. She let out a long sigh, before finally realising she was wrapped in Harry’s arms and he was showing no signs of letting her go. Awkwardly, Ella placed her hands on his chest and gently pushed away.

“Thanks for that,” She chuckled, watching as Harry hesitantly let her go, although he didn’t seem pleased to be releasing her.

The pair took a seat on the couch, Ella slipping her bare legs under the covers that Harry had spread over the large seat. Harry tucked his own body under the thick blanket, resting his arm across the top of the sofa as he kicked his feet up on the coffee table. Harry’s eyes were on the TV when Ella snuck a look and realised how tense he looked. She too felt a bit awkward just sitting there and wondered how he would respond if she snuggled against him again. It wouldn’t have been the first time and perhaps it would extinguish this awkwardness. It was strange, before today they were pretty comfortable and relaxed around each other. Ella wondered what had changed except the sudden closeness between them.

Ella decided she was done thinking and second guessing things all the time. She pushed her body closer to Harry’s and snuggled her head against his chest. She let out a sigh of relief when Harry’s arm instantly gripped onto her waist and pulled her closer to him. Ella laid one arm across his chest and the other stayed tucked under her own body. She felt comfortable, especially when Harry began to play with her hair.

The film played out in front of them, but Ella was too aware of how Harry’s fingers felt like playing with her hair and massaging her scalp. It also didn’t help that Harry’s smell was delicious and intoxicated her senses, and her ability to think straight. She couldn’t place the smell, but it was some faint aftershave and something she was sure smelt like lemon.

“That was a pretty awesome film,” Harry sighed, picking up the controller and flicking the credits to stop. Ella blinked a few times before realising she had been caught up in Harry through the entire film. She truly did have a problem and needed to sort it out as soon as possible before she embarrassed herself with these childish feelings. She had always scolded people who didn’t think boys and girls could be this close and be just friends, and here she was, thinking that maybe this meant Harry thought of her as more. She cursed her hypocritical mind, before sitting up and smiling at Harry.

“I saw it on the cinema and I’ve read the books,” Ella said, reaching out and grabbing her drink of rose, taking a healthy sip from the glass.

“You like reading?” Harry asked, turning so his whole body was facing hers.

“I love reading,” Ella blushed.

“I didn’t know that,” Harry said quietly, looking over at the window lost in thought. He suddenly looked back and a small gentle smile broke out on his face. “I wanna know more about Ella Watson.”

“You really don’t,” Ella laughed, lifting her feet up and sitting cross legged on the sofa.

“I really do,” Harry quickly added, his eyes serious and urgent.

“Nothing about me is interesting, Harry.” Ella sighed, knowing that whatever he wanted to know, would be a waste of time; nothing about her life screamed interesting.

“Please, Ella.” His soft stare and the way he reached out and touched her hand just softened Ella completely; and not to mention he had used her first name, which told her he must be serious.

“Okay, what do you want to know?” She asked, shaking her head and chuckling.

“Favourite colour?” Harry thought for a moment before speaking.

“Red.”

“Favourite animal?”

“Elephant.”

“What is you middle name?” Harry smirked.

“Victoria. Ella Victoria Watson.” Ella replied, placing her elbow on the back of the sofa and holding her head in her hand. “What’s your full name?”

“Harry Edward Styles.” Harry replied.

“I like it,” Ella smiled.

“Yeah, I mean it’s a little dated but I’m stuck with it, so what’s a guy to do.” Harry chuckled and Ella joined in.

For the next few hours, Harry and Ella threw questions back and forth and by the time the sun set, they had learned so much about each other that they had to stop because they couldn’t digest any more. Ella was glad they had done this, because already she felt closer than ever to Harry. She had learnt a lot about his family, including his sister and mum who were very close to him. Ella had then in return opened up about her family and friends. She had even told him about her previous relationships and physical relationships with other boys.

Ella decided as it grew later that it was probably best she headed on home, despite wanting to stay longer. Harry was yawning and she could feel the need for sleep creeping upon her.

Harry walked Ella to the front door as Ella stood outside, staring up and smiling.

“I’ll see you soon,” Ella said quietly as Harry stepped forward and engulfed her in a hug. To Ella, the hug felt different to the one they shared when Harry was round for dinner. Now with a lot of things in the open, the hug felt closer and more intimate.

“I’ll see you soon, Watson.” Harry whispered in her ear.

Harry watched as Ella snuck onto her front lawn, trying to make it seem like she hadn’t just come from next door and that she had returned from Clara’s. She gave Harry a little wave as she reached her front door, which he returned. When he watched her disappear inside, Harry let out a long, hard sigh.

He had moved here to live a peaceful and private life and here he was, letting a girl into his life. Letting Ella Watson into his heart slowly but surely.