The Boy Next Door

eleven.

Harry had been MIA for a few days now. No texts or calls. Nothing.

His house was vacant, his presence missing from the large building. His car was sat on the drive, unmoving and untouched. The door to his house stayed eerily silent through the quiet neighbourhood; no door banging against frame. Nothing.

And then there was Ella. She was here, more present than ever and wondering exactly what she had done to deserve this sudden silence. Had she become addicted to Harry’s attention? Yes. And now he was gone, she felt like she couldn’t quite breathe properly.

A week finally passed and still nothing. School was back and Ella was thankful for the distraction. She used her upcoming exams as a means of dealing with the rejection she felt. Just when she felt closer than ever to Harry, like maybe something more could happen, he just left without a single word.

“Ella, are you okay?” Clara waved a hand over her friend’s eyes, waking the blonde up from her trance. Ella forced a smile and nodded.

“Sorry, just got this terrible headache.” Ella replied, stabbing at her lunch with no appetite whatsoever.

A group of them were sat outside on the field. The weather was nice; a little cloudy, but still nice enough to sit outside. Oscar kept his distance after his failed attempt at apologising. Ella didn’t know if she felt bad for shouting at him in the school hallway for everyone to hear; but for a guy who forced himself on her, perhaps he did deserve it.

“Well we were all discussing your belated birthday party.” Clara smiled. Ella smiled a sincere one back. If anything could put a smile on her face, it was throwing a great party and celebrating with her close friends.

“Well my parents have given me the go ahead for next weekend.” Ella said, earning a few girls to cheer and the boys to high five.

“Have you picked a theme, because myself and Clara came up with a list of ideas,” Vick said, handing Ella a piece of paper. Ella smiled at the suggestions.

“I like movie characters.” Ella replied.

“Oh perfect!” Clara clapped. “We should go shopping this weekend for costumes. I already have the perfect outfit in mind for myself!”

All the girls agreed they would go shopping this weekend and the guys just talked about all the alcohol they would get their hands on. Ella’s parents would supply a lot of it, but it wouldn’t be enough for these boys who loved a chance at getting wasted.

When the final bell rang for the day, Ella felt happy to be heading home. Clara was getting a ride with Wes, so she headed straight for her own house. As her car was only minutes away from her home, Ella was more aware that she would have to see the vacant house that only a week ago held her most valuable memories. An ache in her chest told her she really did miss Harry and wished he would at least text her, letting her know he didn’t want anything else to do with her. This not knowing crap, was driving her insane.

Ella pulled her car onto her space in the drive, cutting the engine and leaning over her seat to rummage in her school bag for her house key. When she finally found it and sat up straight, she suddenly let out a small scream. Standing by the bonnet of her car was Harry. He had the biggest apology smile on his face.

“Harry, what are you doing here?” Ella sighed, getting out the car and locking it up. Harry moved around and met her by the driver’s door.

“I’m here to apologise for being a dick and not calling you.” Harry replied.

“You don’t need to apologise, you didn’t promise me anything.” Ella pointed out, heading towards her front door. Harry’s hand grabbing her upper arm gently stopped her.

“But I do, Watson.” When he used his familiar nickname for her, Ella’s cold exterior warmed. “Can I come in, I promise I will explain everything!” Harry’s eyes were pleading with her, asking her for another chance. Ella nodded, heading back to the door, conscious that Harry was just behind her.

When they got inside, Ella didn’t stop as she headed for the stairs and towards her room. She didn’t care that Harry hadn’t seen her room till now, she was more interested in hearing what he had to say.

Inside her room, she threw down her bag and sat down at her desk. Harry hovered by the door.

“You can come in,” Ella gave a small smile, gesturing towards her bed for him to take a seat. Harry scratched the back of his neck before smiling and taking a seat. “Okay, shoot.” Ella said, watching as Harry leant forward, interlocking his hands and resting them on his lap.

“The night you left my house, about an hour later, I received a phone call from management. The guys and I had to be whisked off to America last minute to do some album and tour promoting. It was completely last minute and unexpected that when I rushed out the door, I didn’t realise until I was on the plane that I left my phone at home. I would have called, I promise I was desperate to get home and speak to you. I didn’t want you to think I just upped and left!” Harry’s face was so strained and sorry, that Ella instinctively stood up and sat beside Harry on the bed.

She grabbed hold of his hands and held them in hers, staring right into his green eyes that were so beautiful close up.

“You don’t have to say anymore, I understand.” Ella smiled, leaning her head on his shoulder as Harry removed one hand from her grasp and laced it around her waist.

“I don’t know why I doubted you would. I had this horrible image that you wouldn’t believe me and didn’t want to see me again.” Harry smiled but it didn’t reach his eyes. Ella realised he had truly beaten himself up about this.

“Well I do, and I realise your job calls for things like this. As your friend, it’s my job to understand and support you.” Ella reassured him.

“I haven’t had a proper friend since becoming famous. Obviously the guys are, they’re like brothers in fact; but nobody like you. Nobody I could trust my life with.” Ella’s breathe hitched in her throat as Harry announced his complete and utter trust in her.

“Through all the people I have close to me, there isn’t one that I miss half as much as I missed you.” Ella responded, knowing that Harry had opened up with his trust comment that she felt she should open up a little more too.

“I know I might be asking too much here, but do you fancy skipping school tomorrow and coming down to the studio with me and the guys?” Harry smiled.

“Sure, I only have two lessons tomorrow, most the day I have free study periods.” Ella replied, nodding her head, happy to finally feel like things were back to normal. It had only been a week, but she had missed her times spent with Harry.

Harry left a while later as they two cuddled on her bed. It felt weird having Harry in her room, but oddly comforting. The double bed had never felt so comfortable before.

The next day, Ella said goodbye to her parent’s like usual, but instead of heading out for school, she grabbed her bag and shoes, and went to Harry’s.

Harry drove them past the gates and into downtown London, where the studio was situated. The radio was on loud and Harry enjoyed mumbling along to The 1975 album, drumming his hand against the steering wheel. Ella smiled, singing along too, realising she was more than comfortable to expose her less than horrible voice to this guy. Harry chuckled and sang louder, his voice the sound of perfection.

“Don’t tell the other guys, but I think you’re my favourite singer.” Ella winked, causing Harry to chuckle.

“Good, I was worried there that you might be a sucker for Zayn’s high notes.” Harry pretended to wipe his brow with the back of his hand.

“Actually, now you mention it…” Ella snickered.

“Hey, you said it now, no backsies.” Harry pouted, Ella reached over and pinched Harry’s cheek. “Less of that, Watson.”

“Oh alright, Styles.” She replied, watching as they pulled into a secure car park. Harry parked up and cut the engine.

“We’re here.” He smiled, patting a hand on her knee and giving it a little squeeze. Ella shivered against his touch, luckily it went unnoticed by Harry, who was now grabbing his things and exiting the car.