The Boy Next Door

twelve.

“So we pretty much have the song down, but both Liam and I aren’t too happy with verse two.” Louis spoke, biting down on the end of the pencil as the five guys mulled over the song. Eleanor and Ella sat back on the fancy sofa near the back, nattering about this and that and sipping on expensive tea.

“So is everything okay with Harry and you? I hear he was anxious to get home from America.” Eleanor stated, leaning forward like she was preparing herself for some latest gossip.

“He left his phone at home and had left without telling me. Bless him; he thought I would think he left for good without saying goodbye.” Ella smiled, briefly looking over at Harry. He was deep in thought as he stared at the paper in his hand.

“I’ve never seen Harry act like this before.” Eleanor spoke, looking over at him before her eyes landed on Ella. “He’s different with you, like he would lay in dirt just so you wouldn’t get your shoes dirty- do you get what I mean?” Ella chuckled, shaking her head.

“I mean, he told me he trusted me with his life, but I can’t see him getting his Selfridge’s shirt dirty for me.” Ella said, causing Eleanor to chuckle.

“Trust is a huge thing for these guys, so Harry proclaiming his entire trust in you is like… Well It’s almost like a marriage proposal.” Eleanor’s eyes grew wide. “Can I ask you something?” She whispered, eyeing the boys to ensure they couldn’t hear.

“Yeah, sure.” Ella replied, leaning closer.

“What are your feelings for harry, exactly?” Eleanor asked, her eyebrows raised as she intently watched Ella.

Ella wasn’t sure how to respond. She trusted Eleanor; she was lovely and sweet and had treated her like a true friend since Harry introduced Ella to the group. But could she tell her just exactly how she felt for Harry? Would the girl tell her she was being ridiculous or stupid for thinking Harry would fall for a normal girl like her. Or maybe she would tell her she wasn’t stupid, that Harry and her were a good match and that Ella hadn’t been imagining the close bond between them. Ella felt stuck and could only barely manage a stutter over words.

“I think I know the answer and to be honest, I am one hundred percent sure he feels the same. I haven’t seen him act like this before, not for Taylor or Kendall, or even Cara. Harry has never been in love and well, I think I recognise the look in his eyes when he looks at you and I’m certain that is love.” Ella’s eyes bugged out as Eleanor waited for the blonde to respond. Eleanor thought Harry was in love with her. She wasn’t the only one who had felt or seen the connection between Harry and her.

“I don’t think he does,” Ella finally spoke, “I won’t lie, I have fallen for him. He’s incredible and I was scared to admit it because of the label that could be placed upon me, but I did fall for him, not the popstar.” Eleanor nodded.

“We all know your intentions are pure, Ella.” Zayn suddenly spoke from beside them. He had obviously heard her last comment, but thankfully it was only him.

“Is that what you meant by that comment you made at his? You also believe Harry could possibly like me too?” Ella felt like a little girl asking, but Zayn’s smile told her not to be ashamed of what she was admitting too.

“No, I don’t think he likes you. I know he loves you.” Zayn spoke confidently. “He looks at you like I look at Perrie. He is besotted, honestly.”

“This is so great!” Eleanor clapped a little too loud, causing everyone to look up and stare at them. She apologised quickly, and luckily they went back to what they were doing. “What are you going to do?”

“I… I don’t know.” Ella replied truthfully. She felt great admitting her feelings aloud, but was she prepared to put her trust in both their judgements.

“Well you need to think of something, I need to see this boy happy.” Eleanor smiled, Zayn nodding in agreement.

Ella just smiled shyly. She just couldn’t see how someone like her could make someone like Harry Styles happy.

After another hour of chatting to Eleanor and the guys and Harry told Ella he was ready to head home. Ella thanked everyone and shared a few hugs with the guys, who were as lovely as ever about having her around. Zayn had hugged her tightly and whispered in her ear “believe me” and from those words, Ella held onto that glimmer of hope that her feelings for Harry could possibly lead to something and were, maybe, reciprocated.

In the car on the way home, the only sound heard was the background music of Ed Sheeran as his album played on quietly. Ella stared out the window, unaware of the few glances Harry kept sneaking in. Although it wasn’t awkward, Ella was happy to hear Harry finally speak.

“Did you have fun today?” He asked, looking straight ahead at the road.

“I did,” Ella smiled, turning to face him, “I mean, it beats school any day.”

“What do you plan on doing when you leave school? I mean, it can’t be long till you’re completely finished, right?” Harry always seemed interested in knowing everything about Ella, and she liked that they had that sort of friendship where they both wanted to know more about the other.

“I’ve applied to a few photography degrees at universities and already had a couple of offers since I attended the interviews earlier on in the year. Sometimes I feel though that I’m completely done with school and would love to travel the world with my camera. But it’s an unrealistic dream.” Ella sighed, leaning her head against the window. Harry’s hand reaches over and he places it on her leg. He pulls into his drive and cuts the engine, turning to face Ella.

“Do your parent’s push you towards university?” Harry asked, looking concerned but interested. Ella keeps on looking out the window.

“They tell me they will support me whatever. I mean, they would like me to get the support of a university degree, but they both know that a career isn’t always assured after. If I decide to not go, they won’t be disappointed; they’ve always been amazingly supportive.” Ella finally looks at Harry.

“You’re parents are pretty cool,” Harry smiled, “And your dream of travelling isn’t unrealistic. If you want to do it, then do it!” Harry gives her leg a squeeze, which Ella finds herself smiling at. She reaches down and places her hand over his and stares into his green eyes. They both sit there and Ella can feel her breath halting as Harry leans forward. His face is inches from Ella’s when he reaches over and brushes at her hair.

“Harry,” Ella whispers, his name falling from her lips unintentionally. Harry seems to snap out of it and pull back, running his hand through her hair. Ella wanted to speak and tell him that she didn’t mean to stop him, that she wanted things to carry on, but the words never leave her mouth.

“I had fun today; you’ll have to come along again sometime.” Harry’s voice sounds distant and Ella hates that. She nods her head before opening the door. Harry doesn’t seem to be leaving the car and she realises he probably is off out again. A surge of jealousy rushes through her when she thinks of him meeting a girl.

Ella was about to shut the door when she stops and turns.

“Harry,” She speaks, watching as Harry looks at her, “Just to warn you, I’ve got a birthday party this weekend at the house. You’re invited of course, but I realise it might be hard for you to come and I understand if you can’t.”

Harry’s face softens, “It’s your birthday?”

“No, my birthday was earlier in the year, but I always have a belated summer time party around this time.” Ella replies.

“Okay,” Harry finally smiles, “How about I see you the next day and take you out? I would love to come, but I don’t want to take the spotlight off you and I’m not that brave to walk into a house full of teenage girls.”

Ella smiled, “I understand, don’t worry. And I’ll keep you on that offer.”

“Bye Ella,” Harry waves as Ella steps back. She doesn’t wait for him to drive off or watch him leave; she just heads straight for her front door.