The Boy Next Door

sixteen.

Things hadn’t yet been looking up for Ella, if anything she felt more miserable than ever. Knowing Harry was just next door didn’t help her moving on process. She had finally opened up to Clara about Harry and her friend had wanted to storm round and have a few words with him, but Ella had told her that’s the last thing she wanted. Instead, her friend took it upon herself to keep her friend occupied and sent Harry death glares every time they saw him. Ella never once looked at him and instead heard from her friend how miserable he looked. She could only hope he was suffering like her.

Ella thanked her lucky stars that they had only kissed and she hadn’t been dragged further into things with him, otherwise she would have been even more of a wreck. But she knew she had fallen pretty hard for him and the rejection just ate at her every day, reminded her of what she didn’t have and what she was left with.

It was the weekend after when things really took a bad turn. A turn that came in the form of a pretty brunette with dazzling dark eyes and pale porcelain skin. She was the complete opposite of Ella, but every bit more beautiful than her.

The girl appeared Friday afternoon when Ella returned home from school. Clara and Vick were there as they stepped out the car and chatted about some new guy who had just joined the school as well as the neighbourhood with his father and sister. Clara was adamant that Ella make a move on the guy- she said if any girl could have him, it was Ella. She had to admit he was gorgeous, with his dark hair that was styled in a messy way that could be described as bed hair. He had lovely blue eyes framed with thick lashes and had an athletic body. He had already joined there group and had fired a few smiles her way. His name was Flynn and he was probably someone she would have gone for; if it weren’t for Harry continuously fogging her mind.

“Flynn was talking about you today,” Vick said, slamming her door shut and chomping away on the apple in her hand.

“No, he was gushing about her. I heard him asking all sorts of questions to Jayden and Wes said he is always asking about you.” Clara wiggled her eyebrows and Ella forced a smile.

“Maybe, but I don’t want to rush into anything. I want to just stop thinking about boys for just a bit longer, please?” Ella pleaded with her friend, who agreed to stop talking about it.

“Oh, eyes down- Styles at ten o’clock.” Clara mumbled so Vicks wouldn’t hear. Their other friend didn’t know anything about Ella and Harry. To be honest, she felt there wasn’t a lot to tell; they kissed, she fell hard for him and he rejected her.

Ella usually was good at keeping her eyes down, but something in Clara’s voice was more urgent, like there was something else she didn’t want her to see. Looking up, her eyes locked onto Harry. He hadn’t seen them yet as he was too busy laughing and hanging his arm over the shoulder of a pretty brunette, who later on through Clara’s extended social network, they learned to be a university student called Lisa.

Ella had stopped and couldn’t move, completely rooted to the floor. Her eyes were wide and locked on Harry who finally looked up and his eyes met hers. She felt better that he wasn’t purposely rubbing it in her face as he quickly removed his arm from her shoulder and stepped away from the girl who looked momentarily confused until she spotted Ella.

The girl leant in to Harry and Ella watched her mouth the words, “who is that?” Ella felt a stab of pain when Harry’s lips read “nobody!”

“Come on, let’s get you inside away from this INCONSIDERATE BASTARD!” Clare yelled the last part and Ella looked away, noticing harry flinch from Clara’s words.

Inside, Clara had to explain to Vick everything since there was no getting around it now. She could trust both girls but she didn’t want anyone else to know- she would be the laughing stock of the school. Oh there is Ella, she was the girl who thought she had a chance with Harry Styles, what a dumb bitch.

Eventually both girls left when Ella just wanted to crawl into bed. As she lay tangled in her sheets, she ignored the constant ringing of her phone. She had deleted Harry’s number, but he still had hers and she recognised the number when it flashed across her screen. She saved the number again and instead under the name- inconsiderate bastard- it put a small smile on her lips.

Her phone finally stopped ringing and instead she was left with a few unread messages from him. She had been good at deleting his texts before reading them, but tonight her willpower was gone and she read the six messages. Most were to get her to answer her phone, but the last one was what caught her attention.

Please answer your phone, Watson, I need to explain it all.
I know what you saw couldn’t have been nice, and I promise
It wasn’t on purpose. I would never do that to you.
Harry x


Ella decided to tap back a reply.

I don’t care what you do. But it’s nice to see how quickly you move on!
Just stop calling, please.

ELLA

She put her name in capitals to show him that he had no right to call her Watson anymore. He never did text back and when her phone rang, she was pleased but slightly disappointed it wasn’t him. No, instead it was Niall and she hoped Harry wasn’t cruel enough to use his friend’s phone to fool her.

“Hello,” she answered wearily.

“Hey Ella,” Niall’s chirpy tone had her breathing out with relief. “Everything okay?” He asked.

“Everything is fine. What do I owe this pleasure?” She replied, wondering why the blonde was calling her. She knew all the guys had her number, but never had they or she used them.

“I was just ringing to see how things are. I know things with you and Harry are rocky and are in the middle of some sort of spat, but I was wondering if you wanted to come round mine for a small party tomorrow. I will warn you, Harry will be there, but so will all of us and Eleanor has promised to keep him clear of you, if that helps your decision.”

“I don’t know, Niall…” Ella sighed, chewing her bottom lip.

“Please just consider it. You can’t let him ruin your social life and whatever it is that is having you two so distant, I’m sure it can’t be that bad that you’ll miss a party; a Horan party at that.” Ella found it impossible not to laugh or smile when Niall was involved. She finally agreed to go and he said Zayn would swing by and pick her up at five tomorrow evening. Ella thanked him before hanging up.

She was nervous to be in the same room as Harry, but she was sure he must have gotten the hint now and her friends had promised to keep them both apart. Nobody knew what was wrong and she knew tomorrow she would end up opening up to Eleanor or Zayn since they both knew of her feelings. They obviously had clocked on that something was up.

Ella placed her phone on the bedside table and silenced it completely. She wanted to lay in tomorrow and just sleep away all this exhaustion that had taken over her body.

Tomorrow would be a test to both her strength and resolve. She could only hope Harry wouldn’t be there with Lisa and embarrass her further.

She could only hope.