The Boy Next Door

eighteen.

Harry watched Lisa as she paraded around his room in a white towel. Her pale legs were lean and long, but yet he found himself turning from the sight of her. He knew it was because he couldn’t stop comparing Lisa to the image of Ella when she had been wrapped in his towel. Her naturally tanned skin looked beautiful against the cotton white material, her blonde hair having cascaded down her back in damp waves. Her green eyes had been bright with amusement with her cupid arrow lips opened into a wide smile. Lisa, on the other hand, was currently scowling as she tried to find her hairdryer. Apparently wet hair looked lank and horrible and she needed to get ‘volume’ into it right now- her words.

Harry sighed inwardly, realising that having started something with Lisa had been a foolish idea. The girl had been after him for a while, with Gemma having to often play the middle man for her. Eventually Harry agreed and whilst Gemma and the others questioned his sudden change in mind, he knew exactly what it was. Lisa was the complete opposite to Ella and someone he could distract himself from- he didn’t really think it through, all he knew was he didn’t mind hurting Lisa if he had to up and leave and not contact her, he wasn’t prepared to do that to Ella; she deserved someone better. And then she remembered seeing her with Oscar and had thought that they were together again, so he had acted rationally. When he found out it was just her forgiving him, he felt foolish.

“Are you listening to me, Harry?” Lisa’s voice cut through his thought process.

“What?” He harshly bit back, hating that he was sat here bored to death when he could be doing something else. He couldn’t help thinking of all the things Ella and he would be doing.

“Are you thinking about her again?” Lisa spat, hands on her hips as her dark eyes scrutinised him. Lisa wasn’t a dumb girl, she was very observant. From the moment Ella stared with hurt eyes at Harry on her drive, Lisa hasn’t stopped questioning him on who the girl was. And then there was the party and how Lisa and Ella had a small spat. She had criticised Harry for not sticking up for her and then questioned him further on how he felt about Ella and if there was something there. He had lied. He had lied badly and said Ella was a girl who had a crush on him and he never reciprocated those feelings.

But then Harry thought it was some crush. How wrong he had been.

Ever since Ella admitted her love for him, his heart had ached. He knew he had fallen for her, and pretty hard.

“See you’re doing it again!” Lisa threw her arms in the air and stormed into the bathroom. Peace at last.

Harry quickly grabbed his things and left her house. He felt bad leaving her without telling her bye, but Harry was slowly not caring about the bossy brunette who he now regretted ever getting involved with.

Back home he parks his car up and just sits there, staring at her house like somehow it will give him all the answers. He knew he could dump Lisa, tell Ella that he loves her and wants to give things a go, but it wasn’t that simple. Ella probably would never give him a second chance and would probably call him a liar or something. He had screwed up big time.

Just as he was about to exit the car, the front door opens and Ella steps out. He sucks in his breath when he takes her in. Her blonde hair is in its natural waves, with half up in a ponytail on the top of her head. He can see her face is free of make-up, which just adds to the appeal to this girl; so beautiful without trying. She was naturally gorgeous.

Ella was wearing some denim shorts that sat in the curve of her waist and a plain white tee that cut off below her bust. Her tanned smooth stomach was on show and it made him yearn to touch it, to run his hands over the smooth tight skin.

A car pulls up onto her drive and Harry shuffles down further into his seat, hoping not to be noticed, though he knows it would be hard with the tinted windows.

The car is a convertible and sitting in there is Clara, the other girl from the other day and two boys that Harry didn’t recognise. Ella locked up and ran towards them, a small smile on her face, but even Harry could tell it was forced and should have been much bigger. He knew that was a result of him and his fucked up behaviour.

He notices her hesitate by the car and briefly her eyes look over at his house and then to his car. He knows she can’t see him, but he almost wished she did because then she would see how sorry he was and how desperate he was to see her again.

She looks away and gets into the car. Harry waits an extra ten minutes after they leave for exiting the car.

Ella sat back in the car, watching Clara and Wes exchange soppy words as Vick and Laurie sat snug beside her. She felt like such a third wheel, or in this case, a fifth wheel. Luckily it was only for the car journey as they were being joined by Oscar, Tamera, Flynn and a couple of the boys from their group, including Jayden and Thomas. One ex and two ex sex friends; Ella could only imagine the awkwardness.

They all were meeting by their little spot beside the lake. With the hot weather they all decided it was a good time to go back to their favourite spot and have a swim.

A few others had joined them, mostly just some girls who the guys were seeing or sleeping with. Thomas was manning the small BBQ, whilst everyone sat around in bikinis or board shorts, drinking beers and talking about the usual.

Ella felt completely out of things. Flynn was trying hard, talking to her, complimenting her, but all she kept thinking was that Harry had said those things as well.

“I was wondering if you wanted to do something tomorrow, maybe catch a film or grab some dinner.” Flynn suggested, running a hand through his dark hair. He smiled shyly, showing off a single dimple in his right cheek. Harry had two dimples, she thought solemnly; two dimples that brought his smile to life when he looked at her. She remembered poking them and both laughing, the sound still echoing in her mind.

“I would but I kind of already have plans with Niall.” Ella said before cursing herself. Why did she mention Niall’s name. Yes, they did have plans, but Flynn didn’t need to know who with.

“I hear Harry Styles is your new neighbour, does that mean this Niall is the Niall from that band?” Flynn was definitely smart and now Ella wasn’t sure how to get out of this. “I guess I can’t compete with him. Don’t worry; I won’t say anything if that’s what you want.”

“It’s only friends with him; maybe we could plan for the following weekend?” Ella felt bad, but Flynn had these lost brown eyes that were bright and round and had that effect on her that meant she didn’t want to disappoint him.

“That would be great.” Flynn’s smile was now bright again and that single dimple popped. “And don’t worry; I won’t mention Niall to anyone. I know that sort of will travel like wild fire at school.”

“Thanks, Flynn.” Ella smiled, and for once it was a genuine smile. It was just a shame Flynn came into her life at the wrong time because she could have seen herself falling for someone like him.

For the rest of the day, Ella felt completely out of sync with everyone else. She didn’t drink the alcohol, eat the food, and swim in the lake and when it came to socialising, she was able to force a smile and laugh here and there. Flynn was watching her, and she knew that he knew something was wrong. She definitely knew when he fell down beside her and gave her a small smile.

“Did you want me to drive you home?” He asked, and Ella wanted to hug him for that.

“That would be great.” She sighed, taking the hand he offered to help her up.

She said goodbye to everyone, rolling her eyes at Clara who was making small comments about Flynn taking her home. Ella just ignored her friend and followed Flynn to his four x four, being a gentleman and opening the door and everything for her.

They headed from the spot and towards main city London and then in the direction of the gates. Most the journey they talked about school and Flynn told her a bit more about his family.

“My sister is at university at the moment,” He replied to Ella who had asked about his older sister. “She’s not around a lot, especially now as she has started seeing this new boy. She won’t tell dad or me about him and so she’s been avoiding us these past weeks.” Flynn sighed, giving the guard his ID and then driving through the gates.

“I’m sure she’s just seeing where things are going with him before bringing him home to you guys.” Ella pointed out, always having the need to stick up for girls, especially when it came to situations with boys.

“Maybe, but you don’t know my sister. She has a habit of clinging onto a boy so early on and then when they get sick of her, she is left hurt and crying at my door. Sometimes I wonder who is older out of the both of us.” He chuckles slightly, but Ella realises this is a sore subject for him.

Just then, they pull up outside her house and Flynn cuts the engine.

“Well I had a good time, I hope whatever is bugging you is sorted soon. I’ve been told you’re usually such a party animal,” Flynn chuckles and nudges her shoulder gently, causing Ella to smile a little.

“You could say I’ve been going through some stuff. Walk me to my door?” She asked, feeling like she didn’t want to stop talking to him yet. Talking meant less time for thinking and Ella knew as soon as she stepped into her house; her brain would kick into overdrive. It was the effects of being so close to him.

Flynn obviously agreed and after holding open the door for her, they took a very slow stroll up the drive.

“Does all this stuff have to do with a guy?” Flynn asks, stuffing his hands into his pockets and looking at her through those thick lashes that any girl would be jealous of.

“Yeah, it’s always the story of my life. Boy troubles just pile up at my door, you’ll soon learn that. I mean, tonight you met most my exes.” Ella tried chuckling again, but it felt sour on her tongue.

“Well I don’t want you to think you need to overthink things with us here. I do like you a lot, but I understand what trouble it causes to get into something new when you’re holding other emotional baggage. Just know you have an admirer here waiting when all is good in the life of Ella Watson.” Flynn’s smile is boyish handsome and would usually have Ella swooning.

Over the other side of the fence, Ella hears the familiar sound of a door opening and closing. Over Flynn’s shoulder she sees him. He’s wearing a beanie, but his curls are still a giveaway as they protrude from the sides. Knowing he will spot them any second, Ella knows what she will do next could be a big mistake. But the image of Harry and Lisa fog her mind and Ella stops thinking.

Grabbing the back of Flynn’s head, she brings herself up to his height and slams her lips against his. Flynn is momentarily stunned, before he tangles his fingers in her hair and deepens the kiss. He pushes Ella up against the wall of the house and slips his tongue against hers.

Pulling away, Ella sees the smile on Flynn’s face and over his shoulder she sees the stunned Harry, who is staring towards them. Suddenly Ella felt tremendously guilty.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have done that. Good night, Flynn, thank you for tonight.” Ella didn’t wait for a reply and ran inside her house. Inside she slipped down and knowing nobody was around to hear her, she let the tears crash around her.

How pathetic had she become?