The Boy Next Door

nineteen.

A single month has passed since Ella saw Harry look at her with such sad and disappointed eyes; the night he saw her kiss a guy just because she wanted him to hurt like she did. He didn’t know that though, and probably assumed Flynn and she was now an item.

Ella had seen Niall a few times, but after an awkward kiss, they both realised it wasn’t meant to be and Niall admitted that he knew she loved Harry- he could see it in her eyes when she saw him. As well as that, Ella was feeling more confused than ever. Flynn had understood she had been confused with the kiss, but still often asked her out on casual dates, which suited Ella perfectly. He never pressured her into anything, and slowly they began sharing single pecks at the end of the date. She was trying to open herself up to Flynn and knew keeping him at an arms distance forever wouldn’t work.

Tonight she was seeing Flynn again. It was a Saturday night and everybody seemed busy, so she had accepted. He had told her that there was a party he dad was throwing and he wanted someone sane to keep him from ‘shooting himself’ as he so gently put it.

“My sister is finally bringing home the new guy. I think I need all the back-up I can get.” He had chuckled and Ella had smiled at the sound she enjoyed.

“I’m sure everything will be fine. I’ll make sure you’ll never be dry- a beer shall always be on hand.” Ella had smirked and Flynn had then laughed again.

Ella had used the day to pamper herself a little because since everything had happened, she had let herself go a bit. Her hair was growing thin and dead at the ends, desperately needing a cut. Her nails were chewed and chipped with basic nail varnish. Her skin lacked the natural tan as she barely spent time outside unless it was dark out.

Luckily, her mother had noticed and had a close friend pop round and sort out her hair. Clara fixed her nails so they looked somewhat decent and for the first time, Ella added a little bronze onto her skin. She didn’t like looking pale and until her skin regained its glowing colour; she would have to turn to the fake stuff.

Flynn had told her the party was kind of formal, so to wear like a pretty cocktail dress. So Ella looked through her walk in closet and decided on a strapless white dress. She decided to accessorise with blue and chose her favourite heels and matching clutch. Her jewellery was gold and matched nicely with the blue and white theme she had going on. She had left her damp hair in a bun and after drying it, her hair fell into lovely beach style waves.

When it came to her make-up, Ella realised she hadn’t properly worn the stuff for a while. Even on dates she just slicked on one layer of mascara and a slick of lip-gloss. Tonight, she gave herself a subtle smoky eye look and painted her lips with a nude lipstick. She added a slight blush to her cheek, and since she already applied the fake tan to her face, she didn’t need any foundation. She didn’t like the stuff anyway and her skin was luckily always spot free, unless of course it was that time of the month.

Flynn couldn’t come pick her up himself because he was helping his father, so he sent over a taxi to pick her up and drop her off.

When she entered the taxi, she smiled when she saw a single white box wrapped with a gold bow. After fumbling for a moment with the bow, Ella removed the lid and smiled down at the simple white flower that resembled a corsage. With closer inspection, she realised it was a corsage and clipped onto the front of her dress. It was a sweet gesture that Ella would have to thank him for.

When she pulled up outside his house five minutes later, Ella felt nervous. Flynn and she were still casual, but a family party was quite a big step forward. She wasn’t sure if she was quite ready for that just yet.

Flynn had the door opened before she had a chance to knock.

“I was looking out for you. I know how uncomfortable it can be arriving alone.” He was always so thoughtful.

“Thank you for the flower,” Ella blushed, fingering the petals between her finger delicately.

“You look absolutely beautiful, Ella.” Flynn sighed, wrapping both his arms around her body. She relaxed slightly, but it didn’t stop her feeling slightly uncomfortable. “I’ll have to keep you close all night; can’t have these men getting their hands on you.” He winked and it was a sight most girls would scream with pleasure at. Ella’s stomach stayed calm.

Flynn walked Ella through the party goers. All the men were in suit and tie, whilst all the girls in evening or cocktail dresses. Flynn’s father was full of compliments to her and had told her they would have to arrange a get together between her family and his. Ella agreed, though Flynn shot her an apologetic frown- he had warned her that his father might assume more between the two teens.

“It’s fine,” She quietly reassured Flynn.

“Your sister just arrived. She should be around here somewhere with the new fella.” Flynn’s father, Freddie, warned his son, both sharing a secret look.

“I better get this out the way.” Flynn whispered against her ear, placing his arm back around Ella’s waist and guiding her back towards the entrance hall. Ella was in the middle of telling him about what Kye had said today, when she suddenly froze to the spot.

She blinked her eyes and would have wiped them if it wasn’t for the make-up, just to check she wasn’t imaging what she was seeing.

Harry stood by the front door. He was wearing skinny black jeans and a patterned shirt. His hair was slicked and he looked slightly bored, scanning the crowd of party people. When his eyes landed on hers, he froze too and in that moment, all those feelings came rushing back for both of them.

What was he doing here?

“Oh Flynn, come over here and meet Harry.” That voice. Ella turned to the girl walking down the stairs, with her dark hair and pale skin. Lisa. How had she not put two and two together. Flynn had spoken of his sister, but had always referred to her as Lees, an obvious nickname for her that he had. They both had the same facial structure and dark hair. Their eyes were both round and wide, with ski slope nose that Ella had found appealing on Flynn, but revolting on Lisa.

“Hey Lees,” He greeted, tightening his grip on Ella when he saw the way Harry was looking at her.

“Is this your date?” Lisa asked, looking Ella up and down. “Have we met before?” She asked, scrutinising her further. Ella never wore this much make-up and she wasn’t half as dressed up when she met Lisa in the past. She probably was trying to piece together who she was in that small head of hers.

“Yes, I’m Ella.” Ella replied, waiting as the familiar smirk settled on the brunettes lips.

“Oh yeah, the girl next door?” She directed the last part at Harry.

Harry simply nodded, his eyes still staring at Ella, something Flynn nor Lisa liked.

“Well it was nice to meet you Harry, but I promised Ella I would show her the garden.” Flynn shook Harry’s hand one more time before dragging Ella away.

“I had no idea my sister was dating Harry Styles, did you?” He asked accusingly once they were outside.

“I knew Lisa by what I’ve seen, but I’ve never seen a picture nor have you ever called her by her full name. I had no idea she was your sister.” Ella said sincerely. Flynn nodded, running a hand through his hair and guiding Ella down the footpath and to a seating area, surrounded by fairy lights.

Harry watched as Lisa’s lips moved, but he wasn’t completely comprehending what she was saying. He tuned out when he heard the familiar drone and accusations leave Lisa’s mouth.

“I can’t believe she is here and with my brother. God, I thought he had better taste than some fame hungry whore…” Harry caught onto the last part and instantly snapped out of his trance.

“Don’t call her that.” He said through gritted teeth, his green eyes warning Lisa not to say another word. But Lisa was stubborn as much as she was stupid and just smirked.

“It’s the truth. Did you see that dress? Her breasts were practically on show and how short was it? Slutty doesn’t even come close,” Lisa snarled.

“Just because she has something to show, doesn’t make her a slut. Stop with this jealousy already.” Harry snapped, turning to head into the garden, forgetting that Flynn and Ella had come out here five minutes ago.

“Jealous? I am not jealous of that fat cow.” Lisa hissed, walking right behind Harry.

“How the fuck is she fat? She’s got a knock out figure and you know it.” He replied, turning briefly before heading for the furthest corner of the garden so nobody would witness this spat between them.

“Stop talking about her like that. Stop complimenting her. Stop it now!” Lisa stomped her foot as they stopped at the bottom. She literally stomped her foot like a little child.

“Don’t tell me what to do.” Harry sighed, running a hand through his swept back hair.

“I’m your girlfriend, I can do as I please.” She pointed, prodding at his chest harshly. Harry rubbed the spot she pointed and decided he had had enough.

“No, actually you can’t and you are not my girlfriend, Lisa!”

“What?” She stepped back stunned.

“You heard me, I don’t want to be with you any more.” Harry said, realising he should have done this weeks ago. Heck, he should have never had dated her in the first place. “Ella is an innocent girl and the way you talk about her is vile; you’re a vile and bitter girl, Lisa.”

“You can’t do this Harry, I love you.” Lisa was close to tears and Harry usually had given in, knowing in the past he gave in to spare himself of her annoying jealous cries, but this time he wouldn’t. He knew seeing Ella tonight, beautiful as ever, had given him the push he needed.

“I’m leaving, Lisa.” He said.

“Do you know what, Harry? She can have you. You’ve done nothing but pine after her for months, but guess what, she doesn’t love you any more. She’s with my brother and I know she’s already told him she loves him. How does it feel? Hurts doesn’t it? To have the one you love, love someone else!” Lisa’s eyes were full of venom and although Harry didn’t want to believe her, he felt the sinking of her heart.

“Rot in hell.” He spat, before turning on his heel and storming towards the house and then the front door.

At the front door he stopped to look at the couple sat beneath the fairy lights. Ella was gently laughing, whilst Flynn looked at her with adoring eyes. Lisa had been right; he had lost her to him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Forgive my lack of updates! I promise to never leave it this long again.