The Boy Next Door

twenty two.

Ella still didn’t feel ready to face anything just yet and it had been a couple of days since she had been back. She had thought endlessly about the pros and cons of letting Harry back in, but still no matter how many pros outweighed the cons, she couldn’t allow herself to pick up the phone or march on over to his house.

It was now Saturday afternoon and Niall had tried calling her three times already. Niall was a connection to Harry that she wasn’t sure she could have around her yet, but still she missed the blonde haired friend and finally called him back.

“And she lives,” He cackled down the phone, causing Ella to smile for the first time in days.

“Hey Niall,” She laughed gently, snuggling herself in the corner of the sofa, nursing a cup of coffee in one hand.

“So now I know you are alive and kicking, tell me how are things?” Niall’s optimistic ring to his voice was infectious.

“Everything is fine over here. How’s life as a popstar treating you?” Ella asked sipping the scorching liquid, but relishing in the caffeine hit she had needed all morning.

“Busy as ever, but we have had some time off recently before we kick off the tour in a month’s time.” Niall replied. “And talking of time off, there’s a party tonight. Not sure if you know as I’m sure Harry would warn your parents of the noise, but it’s over his. All our close friends and work friends will be there and I know you are invited.”

Ella almost choked on the coffee in her hands. Yes she did know Harry was having a party. Her dad had told her last night after Harry came round with the warning. She remembered because she had felt slightly disappointed that he hadn’t asked if she was in. She had been; Ella had sat herself on the top step and listened to his voice as he explained the situation of the party. She had heard Harry extend the invite to her and Kye if they were both around and Ella had then buried her head in her hands and told herself to breathe.

“I can’t go, Niall.” She finally sighed into the phone.

“And why not?” She could imagine him pouting on the other end of the phone.

“Because… Because I just can’t,” Ella replied, knowing really she had no excuse.

“It’s because you’re scared, and I understand it, I really do Ella. But the thing is you have nothing to be scared of. Harry is crazy about you and he’s giving you time; he wants you to go to him because he has tried coming to you, but he knows that he needs to give you space to think. He’s waiting for you Ella, but I know even his love for you won’t keep him hanging on forever. You need to start making decisions instead of hiding!”

Niall’s words hurt but only because they bared the truth to her. Harry wouldn’t wait forever, and she couldn’t hide forever. But she still wasn’t sure if she was ready to give her heart another go with him.

“I can’t, I’m sorry.” Ella cried, hanging up before Niall could say anything else.

Ella took the mug to the kitchen and placed it in the sink before heading out into the garden. It was warm today with a nice breeze in the air. The smell of cut grass and BBQ smoke filled the neighbourhood, creating the perfect summer smell.

For a moment, everything was quiet apart from the odd car and tweeting bird. But then all that was ruined when the voice began next door. Harry’s voice invaded her senses he was telling someone where things were meant to go. Ella stayed and listened to the deep tone of that voice, remembering the times when it was all she lived for; she still did, but she was learning to not rely on the comforting noise. A few more voices were suddenly added to the mix and Ella cringed when she heard Niall’s voice.

“No luck mate,” His voice said and Ella knew already what he was talking about.

“Thanks Niall, but I can’t force her to do anything she doesn’t want to do.” The sadness in Harry’s voice tugged at her heart. “I just don’t know if all this waiting is going to get me anywhere. She obviously has cleaned her hands of me and as much as I want the girl back, I won’t force it upon her, it has to be her choice.”

“I think you should wait a little longer, I think she will be ready to make a decision soon.” It was Liam’s voice now that had joined the mix.

“It’s so hard just sitting back and waiting though. I miss her so damn much and there’s not much I can do about it unless I want to push her away even more. I will wait another month, I will give her that long to decide but if she doesn’t come back to me, I know she doesn’t want this and I will have to move on, no matter how hard it will be!” Harry now sounded defeated.

Ella felt terrible. Harry did sound so sincere about getting her back, but that didn’t mean he wouldn’t change his mind by next week.

Ella stood to her feet and walked back to the house. She didn’t want to hear anymore. She went up the steps and onto the back porch before taking a look over the fence. Niall’s blue eyes looked at her, but she simply turned around and headed into the house before Harry realised she had been eavesdropping.

That night, she could hear the party was underway. Ella’s parent’s had left for a meal and to stay at a hotel as they both didn’t want to stay up listening to a party. Ella was invited but she knew both needed time together as their work sometimes got in the way of things.

Ella sat on the sofa attempting to block out the noise of the music next door and turned the movie up until even she knew it was ridiculously loud. After another ten minutes she gave up and just switched the film off, throwing the control onto the opposite sofa.

Kye’s heavy shoes were heard coming down the stairs and as he stopped in front of her, he gave her a disappointed frown.

“What?” Ella said, crossing her arms defensively.

“You know exactly what.” Kye responded, sitting down beside her. “Go get yourself dressed and get that butt of yours over there.”

“I can’t,” Ella replied. It seemed these were the only two words she could say to people when Harry was mentioned.

“You’re being a hypocrite.” Kye raised an eyebrow, watching as Ella shot him a confused and defensive scowl.

“And tell me Kye, how am I being a hypocrite?” Ella’s crossed arms tightened.

“The whole reason you and Harry are in this mess is because he didn’t try and you resented him for it. Now look who is the one who won’t try and I can guess that eventually Harry will feel that resentment towards you!”

Ella stared at her brother, opening her mouth to respond but for once she was left speechless. Her mouth hung open, opening and shutting as she tried to form some kind of defence. But nothing came. Suddenly Ella realised she was becoming that person she always hated. She was becoming bitter and judgemental, when in reality she was no better than Harry right now.

“I don’t know what to say to him,” Ella said quietly, biting down and chipping the nail polish on her thumb nail.

“You don’t have to say anything. Showing up at that party will speak volumes to him, I’m sure of it.” And just like that Kye had broken through that wall that prevented any reasoning for going and seeing Harry. Ella felt a ton of weight lift off her shoulders as she throws herself into her brothers arms.

“Thank you,” She whispers, before taking off into a run up the stairs. Not wanting to waste too much time, Ella throws on the first thing she finds; a pair of her famous denim Levi shorts and a barely covering the navel top that had some famous band from the 80s. It was her mums when she was younger, so it looked more than worn and frayed. Ella pulled her hair out from the plait and smiled as her naturally straight hair cascaded into pretty waves- someone up there obviously was so far on her side. Quickly applying the bare minimal make-up and slipping into some black small chunky heeled sandals, Ella ran back downstairs.

Kye was already gone, but that didn’t matter, she was ready to do this on her own.

Ella crossed her front lawn and slipped onto Harry’s. She tried knocking, but knew it would be pointless as nobody would hear. Feeling another wave of bravery, Ella pushed open the door and was welcomed by a sea of bodies dancing and chatting in small groups. Ella kindly pushed past them, searching in the kitchen and lounge before seeing some recognisable blonde spikes/

“Niall,” Ella called, watching as the blue eyed boy stopped and turned to face her. His face broke into a brilliant smile as he marched straight over and picked Ella up into a bone crushing bear hug.

“You came!” He exclaimed.

“I did, but I don’t have time to explain, I just need to find Harry.” Ella gave him a small smile.

“Oh, I see,” Niall’s smile grew wider and brighter- if it was even possible. “Well last time I checked he was headed upstairs.” Ella didn’t take the time to thank Niall, she just placed a kiss on his cheek and took off towards the stairs.

Firstly, Ella checked both bathrooms, but they were either taken by someone else or completely emptied. She slowly moved towards his bedroom door and stared at the modern wood panels, wondering if she should knock or just barge straight in. As she was about to build up the confidence to push through the door and make herself known (if he was even inside)- Ella stopped and pressed her ear to the wood, thinking she heard some raised voices inside.

Harry’s voice was softer than the other voice, but it wasn’t the tone or volume that caught Ella, it was the name she heard him utter at least three times; Lisa.