The Boy Next Door

three.

Image

Ella stared at the finished test paper in front of her, every multiple choice box ticked and ready to hand back to her teacher. History had never interested her, but the subject went hand in hand with her passion of photographing the old and vintage. She got to go on some amazing school trips and get even better shots of ancient architecture. The work didn’t excite her, but it was a small price to pay and anyway, she had been pressured to pick a fourth subject when entering her first years of sixth form. Apparently Photography, Business Studies and English Literature were not a sufficient amount of subjects to take in her teachers eyes.

Finally the clock struck three thirty and their History teacher dismissed them for the day. Ella didn’t hesitate in leaving the classroom and building, swiftly heading out the gates to her car. Clara was already waiting by the vehicle, tapping away on her mobile.

“How do you always get here first?” Ella laughed, unlocking the door and stepping into the driver’s side.

“My teacher hates being here as much as us,” Clara shrugged, sitting herself down in the passenger seat. She put on her belt and instantly went to work on the CD player, attempting to find some songs she liked. Suddenly a One Direction song was blasting through the speakers and Ella had to laugh. “What’s so funny? Does this band amuse you?” Clara smirked.

“No, actually it’s funny that you chose this song; quite a coincidence.” Ella sniggered, pulling out of the car park and heading in the direction of her house. Clara would come back so they could do some of their English homework together.

“I’m confused.” Clara scratched her head, turning the volume down slightly.

“You haven’t asked me about my neighbour yet?” Ella raised an eyebrow, eyeing her friend from the corner of her eye.

“What, are you going to tell me One Direction are your new neighbours?!” Clara laughed sarcastically, but when she realised Ella wasn’t laughing, she stopped. “Wait! Are they?”

“Well not the entire band,” Ella chuckled, “Just one of the members.”

“Oh please tell me it’s Niall or Liam. Man, those boys get my ovaries going!” Clara sighed, day dreaming about the idea of having them living right next door to her.

“No, it’s Harry I’m afraid.” Ella said, pulling into her driveway. “Speaking of which…” Ella pointed a finger over the short fence to next doors front porch. Speaking on the phone was none other than Harry, whose eyes landed on Ella’s four by four parking up.

“He would have been my third choice,” Clara shouted, pushing open her door and basically charging to the fence. Harry ended his call and made his way over. Ella followed behind her boisterous friend.

“Hey there, sweetie,” Clara beamed, holding out her hand with a huge grin, “My names Clara and I’m Ella’s best friend.” Clara had no shame and had always oozed confidence.

Harry smiled politely and shook her hand.

“Nice to meet you,” His eyes moved from the brunette to Ella, “How was school?”

“Boring. Tedious. Mind-numbing- take your pick.” Ella sighed, but a smirk was tugging at the corner of her lips.

“I don’t miss it one bit,” He added, his eyes still on Ella, overlooking Clara completely. It wasn’t that he didn’t find the brunette good looking, it’s just he didn’t find the in-your-face attitude appealing. He liked a girl to hold back a little, at least. He wasn’t interested if there wasn’t a faint hint of mystery there, despite what the tabloids liked to think.

“You’re sooooo lucky!” Clara whined, pouting in her usual manner.

“I am very lucky,” Harry smiled.

“So what’s a big star like yourself doing in a neighbourhood like this?” Clara asked, leaning forward a bit closer. Harry pulled back slightly and looked back towards her, finally let his eyes trail away from Ella.

“It’s a secure and private neighbourhood. The gate gives me comfort that I can choose when I let the public into my life. Behind these gates they can’t touch me!” Harry’s answer was everything Ella had assumed about him. He wanted that privacy he hadn’t had since before the XFactor. He wanted to at least pretend he was a normal teenage boy.

“Anyway we have homework to do, so we better get going. I’ll maybe catch you later?” Ella said, knowing that any minute, Clara would embarrass herself with one of her non-filtered remarks.

“Definitely! Have fun girls.” Harry said, watching as Ella pulled her friend away from the fence. He turned and headed for his own house, but only to be stopped by his name being called. He looked over at Ella, smiling as his name left her lips.

“I forgot to mention, my mum invited you over for dinner one weekend.” Harry smiled fondly. “You don’t have to, but the invitation is there if you would like.”

“Sounds great. I’m free this Saturday!” Harry called back.

“Perfect, I’ll let my mum know and we’ll sort out a time.” Ella gave a quick wave before both girls entered the house. Upon closing the front door, Clara was sending her a disturbing smirk that could only spell trouble where her friend was concerned. “What that’s look for?”

“Oh nothing, just that you are so hard for Harry!” Clara laughed, running towards the kitchen.

“I am what?!” Ella shouted, before storming after her friend.

“I said you have a massive boner for your new neighbour, but I don’t blame you one bit; if I thought you didn’t, I would totally make a move. It’s a big loss, but you need it more than me.” Clara was raiding the fridge, laughing to herself like the loon she was.

“I really don’t know what the hell you’re talking about, so I think I’ll just choose to ignore you.” Ella rolled her eyes, grabbing a packet of crisps from the cupboard and settling at the kitchen island.

The two girls spread out their homework and for the next two hours, Harry Styles didn’t come up in conversation, which Ella was thankful for. Sometimes when Clara had an idea, it was really hard to get her to shut up. Ella was sure this wouldn’t be the last time she heard about her supposedly having the hots for her neighbour. Of course she found Harry very good looking, she and the majority of the female population did, but it would be ridiculous for her to pursue such a absurd dream.

Harry Styles would never look twice at a nobody like Ella Watson.