The Boy Next Door

four.

School finished on Friday and Ella was relieved to finally have the weekend upon her so she could let go for a few days. There was only one week left until spring half term where they would get two weeks off, and Ella was more than anticipating this long awaited break.

Tonight, a group of them were heading out beyond the gates and into town to hit the bowling alley. It was something they usually did to keep themselves entertained and show just because they had rich parents, they didn’t feel above anyone else.

Clara arrived at Ella’s house so they could be picked up by Oscar, the boy Ella had an on-off thing with. As of this point, it was off, but they were still best friends and he would do anything for Ella, despite her always turning him down for a proper relationship.

A horn outside signalled Oscar had arrived, and when Ella looked out the front window she smiled when she saw his familiar and very expensive car. He was your typical rich boy, with every known possession, but instead he was down to earth and didn’t brag or pose with it all. It’s what Ella liked about him, but unfortunately apart from that and his gorgeous looks, there was nothing there, not even a single spark.

“Hey girls, looking beautiful as ever,” He was now standing by the driver side, ready to open the doors for them like the gentlemen he was.

As Oscar pulled Ella in for a hug and placing a kiss to her cheek, her name was called. Turning around she smiled as Harry approached the group.

“Sorry I don’t want to hold you guys up, but I just wanted to see if tomorrow is still okay for dinner?” He was now in front of them and Ella realised she was still somewhat in Oscar’s arms. She quickly removed herself and found herself closer to Harry than ever before. She noticed for the first time his eyes held these yellow flecks throughout the gorgeous green and they were both framed with thick long lashes.

“Tomorrow is perfect,” Ella breathed, moving a strand of hair from her face. Harry smiled at her for a second before his eyes moved to Oscar.

“Hi, are you a friend of Ella’s?” Oscar asked, his protective and hard stance telling Ella that he was doing that whole male sizing up thing.

“I’m her new next door neighbour, but I like to think I’m her friend.” His eyes briefly met Ella and she blushed slightly at the smile on his face. “Are you her boyfriend?”

“No, Oscar is a good friend.” Ella stuttered out, knowing if Oscar answered he would have probably have said yes or worse, said ‘fuck buddy’, despite them having not slept with each other for a good month now. She was over the meaningless flings with him.

“Well it’s nice to meet you Oscar, and it was good seeing you again Clara,” Harry said, looking over at Clara who was tapping away on her phone, most probably angrily texting Wes again.

Clara gave him a brief wave and Oscar sulked off to the driver’s side.

“I’ll see you tomorrow then?” Ella said quietly. Harry smiled down at her and nodded his head.

“I look forward to it.” Harry replied. “See you tomorrow, Ella!”

Harry turned on his heel and headed back to his car and for the first time, Ella noticed a guy and girl standing waiting for him. When they noticed Ella looking they both smiled and waved. She waved back.

“Bye Harry.” Ella shouted back, smiling to herself as she jumped into the passenger’s side. Oscar put the car roof down and turned on the radio. Ella smiled when her favourite band, Bastille, began blaring and it was her favourite song, Pompeii. Clara seemed to perk up and as they pulled out of the drive, both girls burst into song. She didn’t care if anyone, particularly Harry, was listening because this was her song and when she was with her friends and on her way out of town, it sent a thrilling buzz through her. She always felt free when she left the confinements of these gates.

When they arrived at the bowling alley, they were greeted by a large group of their friends. They had done their usual and hired out two lanes and split down the middle. Clara had somehow found her way back to Wes and was sat happily on his lap, but Ella knew it was so he didn’t go with any other girl. She didn’t want him, but would play along if it meant no one else could have him.

Oscar stuck by Ella, to the dismay of their friend Tamera who had been hoping something could happen between the two since Ella had stopped their thing a month prior.

“I think if looks could kill, I would be one hundred feet under.” Ella teased after taking her shot and only managing to knock half the pins down. Oscar looked at her with confused eyes but soon they found Tamera and he smiled knowingly.

“She has jealousy issues. We kissed once and now she had a claim over me. Perhaps if she lightened up, then maybe I could be down with it.” Oscar spoke with that cocky charm that so many girls loved.

“You’re such a pig, Oscar.” Ella laughed, pushing his shoulder gently. “She really likes you. Things like that can bring out the worse in a girl; she just needs reassurance, that’s all.”

“You never did. You were never clingy or jealous.” Oscar pointed out.

“I wasn’t, because what we had was fun, not serious. Tamera is obviously serious,” Ella replied, sitting down beside him. She could sense where this was going, it always went in this directions.

“We could have been serious.” Oscar said quietly.

“I’m going to walk away right now if we end up having this same conversation.” Ella said sternly. Oscar’s eyes went wide and he grabbed out and held her arm.

“I’m sorry; I promise I won’t bring it up again.” His blue eyes were so wide and innocent; Ella just sighed and nodded her head. She just hoped Oscar would eventually get over this ridiculous idea that they could somehow be together. She had never led him on. It had always been about sex and when she realised it was more for him, she told him straight and cut things off. He was her best friend and she wouldn’t lose that over sex.

And anyway, how could she ever think of being with another guy when at this moment in time, there was one face clouding her mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the song mentioned in the chapter. I love this band and it's my favourite song out at the moment.

I will say, there will be more Harry in the next chapters. I just don't want this story to be just him, because Ella is a big part too and it is based on both them. I want you to see more about her friends and background before anything else.

Thank you for reading, recommending or subscribing.

-Becca x