The Boy Next Door

six.

Image

Last night had been nothing what Ella had expected. Harry and she had spent a good two hours speaking non-stop about each other and later he had asked for her number because he thought it would be cool to hang out one day.

Ella wasn’t sure he was serious, but when she woke that Sunday morning, she had a text from him asking if she wanted to join him for lunch. He was having a BBQ and a few of his friends would be over. Ella had text back saying she would be there and had even offered to help him set up. She cursed herself for seeming eager, but when Harry replied telling her that would be great, she couldn’t help but smile.

The sun was shining and England was experiencing an up and down with the weather. Today was hot, but who could tell what tomorrow would be. Ella slipped on a pair of light denim shorts that were slightly frayed and were getting closer to the bin every time she wore them. She pulled on a loose fitting plain white tee that hung off her slender shoulders, exposing a small part of the tattoo that decorated her skin. She threw her blonde hair into a scruffy bun and placed some shades over her eyes.

Running down the stairs, Ella realised the house was vacant. Her parents had told her they would be away until the next morning since they were visiting some friends outside of London. She hadn’t expected them to leave so early, but her mum had left her a sweet goodbye note, stating she didn’t want to wake her up and had left some money on the side for dinner.

Ella grabbed the handful of cash on the side that also included her pocket money, and decided to head to the local supermarket to pick up some bits to take to Harry’s. She would feel rude turning up empty handed and with BBQ parties she went to, she and her friends always took some drink as a contribution.

She put the roof down of her car and pulled out of the driveway. She arrived at the shop only ten minutes later, parking up and grabbing a shopping trolley on the way in. Moving up and down the aisles she grabbed a few things the house needed as well as grabbing a couple of crates of beers, a bottle of vodka and two bottles of coke to go nicely with the spirit. Wondering if Harry had forgotten anything, she reached for her phone and pulled up his number. Before thinking, she dialled his number.

“Ella,” Harry’s voice was soft and surprised.

“Hey Harry, sorry I haven’t called at a bad time, have I?” Ella asked, biting down hard on her bottom lip.

“No… No of course not. What can I do for you?” She could picture him smiling as he spoke, perhaps balancing the phone between his ear and shoulder as he prepared for today.

“I’m just at the supermarket picking up some things, and was wondering if there is anything you need whilst I’m here?” Ella replied, stopping to the side so she didn’t get in anyone’s way.

“Oh you life saver,” Harry sighed with a little laugh, “I forgot crisps and I promised Niall I would marinate some of the chicken with Nandos sauce, so if you could pick me up some, I will pay you back and be in your debt forever.” Ella laughed, moving towards the crisp isle, picking out some big packets of different flavours.

“Forever you say?” Ella smiled, slightly embarrassed by the flirty tone her voice had taken.

“Am I going to regret saying that?” Ella was surprised to hear Harry using the same flirtatious tone, though she tried not to read anything into it. He probably spoke like that to many girls.

“Maybe,” Ella laughed, “Anyway, I will grab the sauce and crisps and be at yours in about half an hour to give you a hand, because I can only imagine what sort of disaster would occur with one guy running the show!”

“I’m not going to even argue with you there, having your help would be wonderful.”

“Okay, well I charge twenty pound an hour.” Ella added; she just couldn’t herself. Just say goodbye and hang-up she kept telling herself.

“Watch it, Watson!” Harry used her last name and it made Ella’s insides turn to jelly. Oscar had called her that before, but never had she reacted quite like this.

“See you in a bit, Styles!” Ella mocked back, hanging up and smiling. She loved how easy Harry and her got on, and realised she might have found another good friend in him. She already felt like she could talk to him for hours.

When she arrived back home, Ella put away her side of the shopping and thankfully Harry came running down the drive so she didn’t have to carry these heavy bags alone.

“Did you buy the entire store, Watson?” He joked, giving her that dimpled smile.

“Is this last name thing going to stick?” Ella dropped the bag and stood with her hand on her hip.

“Probably,” He laughed, walking towards her door with a couple of bags in his hands. “It makes me feel like Sherlock Holmes and you’re my trusted sidekick!”

“Oh hardy har,” Ella rolled her eyes, following Harry into her own kitchen. She finished tidying away her bits and pieces before they grabbed the rest of the bags and carried them over to Harry’s house.

Harry lead the way and Ella realised she hadn’t seen the inside of his house yet. His house didn’t have much in it and it looked like he had only just started putting up his own bits. There were a few music awards and plenty of personal pictures hanging around, as well as some utensils and kitchen equipment. She wondered if he ever used the kitchen or could cook; but then she saw the bin littered with empty fast food cartons and smiled.

“Not counting last night, when was the last time you had a proper home cooked meal? Ella raised an eyebrow as she set the bags down on the kitchen counters as she began to get to work removing the beer cans from the box and putting them into the ice buckets Harry had made up.

“Probably like 2 weeks ago when I visited my mum,” Harry laughed, scratching the back of his neck. Ella turned around with eyes wide and her mouth agape.

“That’s so bad, Harry!” She said surprised, “You need to eat better than all this fast food crap.”

“Is that some roundabout way of proposing you cook for me one day?” Harry laughed, leaning back on the counter opposite her.

“20 pound an hour, remember though?” Ella smiled.

“I’m not sure you’re worth that much, Watson.” Harry chuckled as Ella reached out and smacked his shoulder. Before she made contact, Harry grabbed her wrist and held it in a gentle grip by his side.

“Violence is never the answer!” Harry raised an eyebrow and his lips turned up into a small smile. Ella wanted to speak or reply, but his touch had rendered her speechless. He stood up straighter and closer to Ella, which wasn’t helping her current state of silence. He was staring at her, his face almost judging the situation. Just as he was moving closer, the door was heard and seconds later, obnoxious laughter filled the house.