The Boy Next Door

eight.

Ella sat on her bed crossed legged as she applied the last touches to her make-up. She smiled at her appearance, happy her eyelashes had looked semi decent with the mascara and for once, both eyes look identical.

She stood to her feet and wandered over to her closet, pulling out a few outfits she had considered for tonight. She and most her year had been invited to Thomas Jacob’s house party for his birthday. Ella wasn’t too pleased who the host was, since he was the other guy she had hooked up with in the past, but luckily, unlike Oscar, Thomas had moved on and only sometimes flirted with her and joked about their rendezvous in the past.

Ella looked out her bedroom window like routine and saw Harry taking out some trash to the bins located round the side of his house. She smiled, remembering last weekend when she had been at his for the BBQ. The whole week at school had seemed boring and tedious compared to that day. Thankfully, Easter break was upon them and they had two weeks school free. Thomas’ party was like a celebration to kick start their two weeks of freedom.

Ella threw on some black denim shorts that frayed at the ends, which was actually for once not her doing and was part of their design. She put on her best underwear set as well, so she was pleased how her not massively big cleavage looked in the cut off top that scooped lower than most tops she owned. She had a good cleavage, but nothing that was worth boasting about- Clara on the other hand could out-bust anyone with the sizing of her chest.

Ella gave her blonde hair a quick boost with a bit of back brushing and hairspray, before throwing on some jewellery and heels. She was ready and just in time as Clara pulled up outside in Wes’ car. Ella quickly pushed her phone and money in her pocket, not one who liked to carry around a clutch or purse; and ran as best as she could in her heels out to the awaiting car.

“Thank you for swinging by and picking me up,” Ella kissed Wes on the cheek in a greeting that most their group did, and jumped in the back of his BMW. He was one of the boys who liked his fancy cars.

“No worries, El.” Wes smiled, one hand on the wheel and the other on Clara’s leg. Apparently Wes had promised Clara commitment and a proper go at a relationship, so the couple was on again. Ella found it hard to keep up with them.

The three chatted about the party and their plans for Easter break before they pulled up outside the party. Most people had walked, so they parked easy enough.

“Are you not drinking tonight, Wes?” Ella asked, jumping out the car and adjusting her shorts and top. Wes threw an arm over both girls shoulders and smiled at Ella.

“Hell yes,” He smirked, “I’m kipping here tonight, so don’t worry, I won’t be driving under the influence.” He gave her a wink and Ella just rolled her eyes. Wes was always flirty with her, but in a very innocent way. Clara didn’t care, she knew Wes and Ella bantered like siblings and Ella just wasn’t into his type.

The three entered into the party and were instantly greeted by everyone they knew. Guys complimented Ella, but she wasn’t interested and just thanked them with a small smile.

Oscar approached the three and greeted Ella with a hug and his usual handsome smirk.

“Hey beautiful,” He smiled and Ella just laughed and rolled her eyes. Tamera was just behind him and Ella realised he had been dancing with her until she walked in. Ella felt guilty that she was that girl who ruined it for the other. It wasn’t her fault that Oscar wouldn’t get over her already. Ella hugged Tamera, who thankfully accepted the embrace.

“You look Gorgeous, Tamera.” Ella complimented her, watching as her eyes fell on Oscar who wasn’t looking anywhere but at Ella.

“Let’s go find, Laurie and Vick.” Clara grabbed Ella’s hand, shot Oscar a cold stare and pulled her further into the party. Oscar looked longingly at the two as they disappeared.

“That boy seriously needs to get the hint.” Clara scolded as they stopped at the pool table as a game of beer pong was going on. Laurie was there, Vick hanging on his arm and shooting him those lovey dopy eyes. The couple was new and they were besotted, but sometimes it got a little overbearing.

“Oh hey girls,” Vick shouted over the music, approaching the two and pulling them into hugs. “Cool party, right?” She smiled, looking over at Laurie who gave them all a little wave before taking his shot.

“The best,” Ella smiled.

“When are you going to throw one of your parties?” Vick asked, grabbing a drink for both girls as they all sipped on the alcoholic drink that tasted a lot like vodka and pineapple juice.

“I’m hoping soon,” Ella replied. She usually always threw a few parties a year. Her birthday had been at the beginning of the school year as she was one of the oldest in the year, but she hadn’t thrown a party. Her parents had promised her one, and she would have to remember to nag them for it soon.

“I can’t wait; you always throw the best parties!” Clara clapped, linking her arm through Ella’s.

“I’m just going to find the toilet. I’ll meet you back here!” Ella said after a few more moments of drinking. Clara nodded as Ella headed off to find the bathroom.

She eventually found it, but as she went to shut the door, a foot got in the way. Ella went to shout at whoever it was, but when Oscar pushed himself into the room and locked the door, she was a little surprised.

“What’s the matter, Oscar?” Ella sighed, getting fed up with these games. He seriously needed to get the hint.

“Look I’m sorry, but I can’t help it.” He knew she was fed up, but he couldn’t help himself. “I’m crazy about you and I just want you to give us a shot.”

“Oscar, I…” She didn’t get to finish her sentence before he was pushing her against the sink and attaching his lips to hers. For a brief moment, Ella was left surprised and frozen. Then she kissed him for a second and then finally realised it wasn’t right so pushed him away.

“No, Oscar.” She shouted, gripping her hair, “Why do you insist on making this difficult for me?” Ella was annoyed and upset now. She hated how he was making her look like a bad person. Everyone questioned why she wouldn’t go out with him and others felt for Tamera who would never get him whilst he pined after Ella.

“I think I love you, Ella.” Oscar breathed, pulling her to him and smacking his lips back to hers, but this time it was harder for her to push him away because he had such a strong grip on her. She used her fists to hit his chest and push him away, but he wouldn’t budge. She started panicking, wondering if Oscar would ever stop. Not wanting to know the answer, she lifted her knee to his crotch, watching as he keeled over in pain, gripping his crown jewels.

“Never force yourself on me again or I will do more damage next time.” Ella warned, unlocking the door and pushing through the crowds. She distinctively heard Oscar call after her, but Ella wasn’t going to stop. She headed for the front door and stalked down the front drive. She lived a fifteen minute walk from here, so kicking off her heels, Ella headed in the direction towards her house.

When she finally reached home, Ella realised she couldn’t just walk in because her parent’s would ask questions. Knowing she had no choice, Ella opened the door to her car, thanking her stars she never had to lock it because of the zero crime rates in this area. She sat herself in the driver seat, pushing herself down in the seat so her parents wouldn’t see her. Ella usually didn’t return home from a party until early hours of the morning, so any time before that would look suspicious to her parent’s. She would just have to wait it out.

Ella wasn’t sure how long she was sitting there when a knock on the window made her jump. Expecting to see her mum or dad there, she was surprised to see Harry.

“Ella, are you okay? Why are you crying?” His eyes were soft and caring and Ella then realised she had been crying; she had no idea. Wiping away the damp tears, she forced a smile.

“I’m fine,” She lied, her shaky hand still trying to rid all the tears that had spilled down her cheeks.

“You’re not fine.” Harry said softly. “Come on…” He held out his hand to her and because she didn’t have the energy to fight, Ella took his hand. She was surprised when he didn’t take her to her house and instead navigated her quietly over to his.

“Harry,” She said quietly, but he didn’t let her try and stop him.

“You can stay at mine until you’re ready to go home.” He said sternly, his voice telling her there would be no arguing.

Ella was thankful for Harry. He got her some of his clothes, which she slipped into in the bathroom and then set up some blankets on the sofa. She snuggled under them and watched as Harry went to sit on the other sofa.

“Harry,” Ella said again, her green eyes still held some leftover tears. Harry looked over and his face was so soft and beautiful that it hurt Ella to look through her stinging eyes. “Can you sit with me?” He didn’t answer, instead Harry just smiled and sat beside Ella, lifting his arm as she snuggled under his arm. “Thank you.” She whispered against his chest, inhaling his scent that had recently become familiar to her.

“You can tell me all about it tomorrow, but for now, get some rest.” He whispered, placing his lips against her hair. Ella sighed out contently as she closed her eyes.