My Whole World

Fitting In

Zach’s POV:
“Zach, what if your family doesn’t like me?” Brooklyn asks when I pick her up.
“They know enough about you to have an idea and my mom said she already likes you. So does my dad and Vic. You’ll be fine.”
“Have they ever hated any of the girls you’ve liked?” She asks.
“One.” I tell her. “But that never turned into a relationship so you have nothing to worry about.”
“Okay, Zach. I just hope I make a good first impression.”
“You will.” I tell her and pull into the driveway.
“Zach, hi!” Mom hugs me. “And you must be Brooklyn.”
“That’s me, ma’am.” Brooklyn says and my mom laughs.
“Oh, sweetie, you don’t have to be so formal around me. Goodness, it’s like you don’t know Zach.”
“Thanks, mom.” I say and run up to Vic’s room.
“Is she here?” He asks.
“Yeah, downstairs.” He runs down and I get down just as he finishes introducing himself.
“The better brother.” Vic says.
“But she chose me so back off.” I wrap my arm around Brooklyn and she leans her head on my shoulder.
“Oh, Zach, your brother is just trying to be funny.”
“I like her.” Vic says and Brooklyn grins.
“You didn’t let me finish. You’re trying to be funny, but failing.”
“Yeah, I definitely love you.” I kiss her and mom smiles.
“She already fits in to the family.” Mom says and I’m glad she feels that way.
“Are we going to see you around much?” Dad asks her and she looks at me.
“Only as often as I’m allowed. Either by you or by Zach.”
“Honey, Zach doesn’t control when you can visit us. I can really see you and him working out, so don’t think twice about stopping by.”
“Thank you, Mrs. Porter.” I squeeze Brooklyn’s shoulder and she’s turning red in the face.
“Stop embarrassing her, mom.” Vic says.
“I’m not embarrassed.” Brooklyn protests.
“Then why are you redder than a tomato?” Vic asks and I’m going to get him for that comment later.
“Oh, gosh.” Brooklyn covers her face and I kiss her.
“No one minds.” I tell her.
“Alright, let’s stop torturing her and go eat the lovely meal I slaved over.” Mom says and we run to the kitchen. She’s made her famous store bought turkey and mashed potatoes.
“This looks amazing.” Brooklyn says.
“The potatoes are the only thing homemade.” I tell her and she laughs.
“Who cares? It still looks good.”
“At least someone can appreciate the hard work I do. You’ve got to pick out the right turkey.” We all laugh and Brooklyn is starting to get more comfortable.
“We should probably go; Morgan will want to hear about all of this. Thank you so much for the lovely meal, Mrs. Porter.” Brooklyn thanks my mom and mom hugs her. We leave and I kiss her.
“That wasn’t terrible, now, was it?” I ask her.
“Do they like me?” She asks.
“Are you serious? Of course they do! I promise you would know if they didn’t.” I tell her and she looks at me.
“Good, I really want this to work out.”
“So do I.” I tell her and drop her off at her apartment.