Status: One shot (:

The Will of St. Nicholas

1/1

The air was frigid in the park, but the atmosphere was filled with a sense of warmth. Families were reuniting for this joyous occasion. There seemed to be a perpetual smell of gingerbread wafting from the bakery down the street. It was Christmas Eve once again and the city of Baltimore was buzzing with excited children, last minute shoppers and grumpy workers who just wanted to go home. But Alex Gaskarth was none of those things; he was faced with much more 'real' problems than whether Santa Claus was coming tonight or not.

Poor Alex was currently sitting on a frozen bench in the middle of downtown; shivering like there was no tomorrow in his thin jacket. Why is Alex subjecting himself to this torture rather than rapping himself up in a cozy bed at home? That's an easy question; that bench that Alex was coveting, was his home. That's correct, Alex is homeless, living on the streets with barely a penny to his name. His possessions include the clothing on his back, a piece of ratty cardboard to shield himself from wind and his own personal treasure, his acoustic guitar.

With said guitar, Alex can manage to feed himself. It's not a steady source of income and he can't support himself off of it, but it's enough to keep him from starving; especially during the holiday season when some people are feeling extraordinarily generous. Even though when Alex found himself in this situation in June, he told himself that he'd be ok by the holidays, he certainly wasn't. He had hoped that his parents in England would come to look for him after not hearing from him for such a long time or he'd have come across someone that would hire such an inexperienced worker, but no such luck. Alex is seemingly alone and most certainly unemployed; currently playing and singing his little heart out hoping for anything as the sun began to set in the background.

"I can't believe we have to work the night shift," he heard a passerby complain to his companion.

"I know it sucks dude!" the other agreed, "I'd much rather be at home with my girlfriend! Who the hell stays open on Christmas Eve anyways?"

"I don't man, I don't know," the original complainer answered, making awkward eye contact with Alex as he walked by.

Alex gave the man a gentle smile as he continued to play. Only to have said man roll his eyes and walk away, his co-worker in close tow. Alex shouldn't be surprised that he didn't stop, he's used to it by now. More people ignore him rather than stop to listen. He's had many people say very unkind things to him. But Alex doesn't let those cruel words get to him anymore. For those people are the lucky ones, the ones with families, with friends, with homes to return to. Alex had known of these things. All of the fortunate people in the world probably thought he was pathetic.

When the men passed him by completely, Alex started to play again. He decided on a simple Blink-182 cover of "Give Me One Good Reason." Even if it wasn't one of their more popular songs, Alex liked it nonetheless. He liked what it meant to him if nothing else. Alex poured his soul into that cover; getting out all of bent up emotion while he was alone. What he didn't notice was the sole passerby that stopped to listen.

"That was really good," said man commented after the song ended, "You like Blink?"

Alex's head shot up. He hadn't realized he was being listened to, "Yeah, they're pretty good," he shrugged.

"They're my favorite," the man said with a smile, running a hand through his spiked, two tone hair, "I'm Jack by the way."

"Alex," Alex responded hesitantly, "Don't you have somewhere to be or something? It is Christmas Eve..."

Jack chuckled awkwardly, "Wow, you really get to the point eh?" Alex felt his cheeks heating up, "But yeah, I guess you could say that . But my family makes me crazy, you know? I just needed a break. What about you?"

Alex bit his lip and looked downwards, "I- Uh- This is where I'll be spending tonight," he mumbled, "What's your favorite Blink song?" He asked quickly, trying to change the subject. Even if this Jack guy was a stranger, it's not everyday Alex gets a chance to have a normal conversation. So, needless to say, he's going to take this opportunity.

Jack cocked his head to the side and stared blankly at Alex.

Alex felt himself blushing once again. Why does he always make a fool out of himself? "You said they were your favorite band, so what's your favorite song by them?" he elaborated.

Jack shook his head and chuckled, only slightly fazed by Alex's sudden subject change, "I'd have to say I Miss You. Or maybe Reckless Abandon. I don't know, that's a hard question. Do you have a favorite Blink song?"

Alex smiled, "Call me stereotypical but I really like What's My Age Again."

The time passed quickly for the two boys. They sat on the park bench Alex called home and talked and talked. They brushed upon any subject that would be somewhat interesting for two 22 year old males. Alex was surprised by how easy it was for him to talk to Jack. He was never one to participate wholeheartedly in conversation-a real downfall when looking for a job. But it was different with Jack; he wasn't judging Alex or scrutinizing his way of living. To Jack, Alex was just another guy, and Alex really liked that.

"You did not!" Alex exclaimed through a fit of giggles, "Jack that's disgusting and really unsanitary. Do not tell me you ate it ate it afterwards!"

Jack's face reddened deeply, "It's not that bad! I mean, at least I was drunk... And don't even tell me you've never been sexually attracted to a piece of food before!"

"I can honestly say that's never happened to me," Alex said, still laughing.

He opened his mouth to make fun of Jack some more-the man had just admitted to fucking a burrito, anyone in their right mind would make fun of him-when he was cut off by a shrill ringing sound. Jack rolled his eyes and sighed before fishing a mobile phone from the pocket of his leather jacket.

"I should take this, I'm sorry," he said after glancing at the caller ID.

"Hey Ma," he sighed into the speaker after answering.

"...I'm sorry, I got tied up..."

"...Yeah I know, they just make me want to shoot myself. I just needed some air..."

"...I really don't think you can ground me anymore, considering I'm 22 and have my own place..."

"...Yeah fine I'll be there soon bye..."

Jack sighed again, "Alex I'm sorry, my mom's throwing a fit. My entire family's at her house and they're waiting for me to start eating dinner..."

Cue Alex's stomach growling-thankfully not loud enough for Jack to hear. "That's fine Jack," Alex said, smiling at the other boy, "Try not to let them get the best of you."

Jack chuckled, "That's doubtful, but thanks for the encouragement. I feel bad for leaving you out here; all alone and in the cold."

Alex shrugged, "Don't, I'm used to it. Besides, it's peaceful at night."

A forceful gust of wind swept through the park. A chill ran through Alex's bones; it took all of his willpower not to shiver. He'd never admit to Jack how cold he was, that would just make the younger feel worse about leaving him.

Jack must've somehow knew that the cold nights were hard for Alex because he was shrugged his jacket off and handed it to the other, "It's not much, but it's better than nothing."

Alex stared at the jacket that was being held out in front of him. He felt his eyes start to water at the gesture. He didn't remember the last time someone did something so nice for him without expecting something in return. Which is why he was hesitant to accept it, fearing that the seemingly innocent man would expect something in return that Alex most likely couldn't give.

"Alex, please," Jack said softly, a small smile playing his lips.

Alex melted at the look in the taller man's dark eyes. He couldn't help but smile back and take the jacket. He kept eye contact as he put it on, relishing in the warmth it provided. Like Jack said, it wasn't much and he'd still be cold tonight, but Alex loved it nonetheless.

"I want to see you again," the words came out of mouth before he could stop them.

Jack smiled and sighed a breathy giggle, "I was hoping you would," he said shyly, "Because I planned one coming back to see you tomorrow."

Alex furrowed his eyebrows, "Tomorrow's Christmas, spend it with your family, not some bum at the park."

Jack shook his head and sighed, "I'm having Christmas with my family tonight-which I really have to get to. My plans for tomorrow included watching Christmas movies alone at my apartment with hot coco... I'd much rather spend them with some else, that being you."

Alex smiled, "I'd like that Jack. I'd like that a lot."

"Good," Jack said gently, "It's a date. I'll see you tomorrow," he leaned down and laid a gentle kiss on Alex's forehead before walking out of the park.

A blush painted Alex's cheeks as he watched Jack walk away. He bundled up in Jack's coat and cuddled his face into the dark leather. He inhaled the scent embedded in the material and smile; pine cones and gingerbread, most likely the byproduct of a cheesy Christmas themed candle, but Alex loved it. He loved how it made him feel, he felt secure and happy and warm.

Alex couldn't wait for Jack to visit him again the next day. But little did Alex know, he'd be back the day after that and the day after that until Alex was finally off the streets.

But after that, Jack would disappear. Alex would look for him for a long time, but he would never find the man that was so precious to him. The only thing that Alex would have to prove that Jack even excited was that old leather jacket. Alex would never forget about the signal of hope that helped to pick him up during his worst time. Jack was a blessing to Alex. And even though he left Alex alone and heartbroken, he would always consider Jack his saving grace; his own personal saint.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you all enjoyed this one, I've been working on it since about a week before Thanksgiving...