Sequel: Black & White
Status: Complete! Check out the sequel Black & White!

...And a Happy New Year

Easter Festivities

April 20, 2014

Chaney woke up actually excited for the holiday for once. Typically, it was spent at home with her parents and close relatives. She got along with them about as well as she did her mother and Alex. Her mother’s side of the family was intolerable as they were just as nit picky about her life as her mother was. However, unlike her mother, their comments were directed more to her family as a whole. Needless to say, she was ecstatic when Halvo invited her to join his family for Easter brunch. She had always gotten along with the Halvorsens and was excited to share their first holiday as a couple with them.

She woke up a few hours earlier than she normally would because she wanted to look as presentable as possible. In the past, she was never that concerned with how she dressed when spending time at the Halvorsens because appearances didn’t matter to them like they did to her family. However, this year, she was more nervous than anything. She wanted to impress them and was unsure if they would expect more from her now that Halvo and she were dating.

She took a long, hot shower, gently massaging her aching muscles from the stress of the past week. She took the time to meticulously scrub every inch of her body, willing herself to relax and not stress out about lunch today no matter how excited she was.

After drying off, she wrapped her towel around her body, and wiped off the mirror, looking at her stringy, wet hair. She sighed as she plugged in her curling iron to heat up. She decided to pick out her outfit in the meantime and throw her wet hair into a clip until she dried it.

She walked out of the bathroom, and quietly made her way across the hall into her room. She made her way over to her closest as she dissected what to wear. She finally settled on a simple patterned dress that she bought the year before. She never wore it much because she hated wearing dresses or skirts, however she felt it would be appropriate to wear today.

She got dressed and made her way back over to the bathroom to do her hair and makeup. Luckily the mirror had de-fogged so she could see her reflection to do her hair. She dried her hair and lightly curled it to give it some body. She then grabbed her makeup bag and did light makeup. She didn’t want to over-do it, but she didn’t want to be as casual as she normal was.

After she finished, she looked at the time on her phone and saw that she still had a little over an hour before she had to meet the Halvorsens at their house. Despite her growing nerves at the feeling of having to impress his parents, she felt more at ease than she would at home. She loved the Halvorsens and at times, they felt more like her family than her actual family.

The time came for her to make her way over to their house for brunch. As she got closer to their house, she started to panic as she didn’t know who else would be there. She knew his parents and sister would be there, but she didn’t know beyond that. Would any of his extended family be there? Would she have to try to win over more than just his parents? Why was she getting so nervous about being around people she’d known practically her entire life?

She pulled in front of the Halvorsen residence and took a deep breath before turning off her car. She slipped her keys into her purse as she got out of her car and made her way up their driveway.

She didn’t see or hear him coming, but she was about to walk up the path connecting the driveway to the front porch when a “psst” and a small jerk on her arm had her going in a different direction.

She was surprised to find a dapper-looking Halvo as he drug her to the side of the house where they couldn’t be seen.

“Halvo, what are you—”

He cut her off by answering her with a kiss. He pushed her slowly against the wall, his hands moving to her hips.

She responded by moving her hands to his shoulders and slowly up towards his hair.
After a few moments, he pulled back, leaning his forehead against hers. “Sorry, I’ve been waiting all day to do that,” he laughed lightly.

She smiled and leaned her face enough to connect their lips in a quick peck. “It’s alright. I’ve been looking forward to it as well.” She bit her lip after as she leaned back against the wall.

Halvo leaned his forehead back against hers. “Talk to me. What’s going on? I can tell something is bothering you.”

She laughed airily. “You can read me well Halvorsen. I uh, I’m just nervous about today.”

That caused him to lean back quite a bit and look at her with confusion. “Why the hell would you be nervous about today? It’s just brunch with my parents and sister.”

She sighed a small breath of relief as she now knew it would just be his immediate family. Her stress levels just decreased significantly. “That does make me feel better, but I’m still nervous…” She continued to bite her lip in nervousness.

He moved one of his hands that was still gripping her waist and moved it to her face. He took his thumb, rubbing it over her lower lip in attempts to get her to release it. “C’mon Indy, don’t be nervous. Seriously. How many times have you had lunch with my parents and sister?”

She shrugged slightly, understanding his point.

“See? There’s nothing to worry about!”

She sighed, “There’s everything to worry about! We’ve never been a couple before. What if your parents expect more from me? What if they think you can do better than me? What if—”

“Chaney, listen to me. Stop worrying. My parents have always loved you and think you’re great. Dana thinks of you like a sister despite her being a few years older and never getting to hang out with you much. They’re not gonna think any differently of you. Promise.”

She sighed. “I guess…It doesn’t make me any less nervous though. I still feel the need to impress them.”

He chuckled, “If it helps, I’ll be right here beside you the entire time.”

She smiled and leaned forward, kissing him lightly again before leaning back. “I enjoy the fact that I can do that now,” she laughed. “But seriously, thank you. I wouldn’t want to go through this with anyone else.”

He smiled, kissing her a little more passionately than before. After a few minutes, he leaned his forehead against hers again and laughed slightly. “We better get inside before my mom questions what I’ve been up to.”

She laughed as he moved to straighten his shirt back out and make sure it was still tucked in. He began to adjust his tie, only making it crooked, before turning to her. “Does this look okay? I mean, it doesn’t look messed up or tacky right?”

She found his concern endearing. She looked and saw his crooked tie and moved to help him. She readjusted and straightened his tie as she pecked him on the lips. “You look great.” She then smoothed his hair back down from when she messed it up a few minutes prior. “Now you’re set. Let’s head inside.”

He smiled and offered his bent arm towards her to take.

She chuckled at his gesture and put her arm in his as he led her towards the front door. He opened the front door and called to his mother, “Hey Ma, Chaney’s here!”

His mom peaked her head around the corner of the kitchen. “Glad you could make it Chaney! Would you guys mind helping me in the kitchen? I’m almost done and I could use help setting the table.”

Chaney and Halvo smiled at each other before heading to the kitchen to help his mom.

As soon they entered the kitchen, his mom engulfed Chaney in a hug. She moved to give her son a hug as he arrived to the house not long before Chaney and she hadn’t seen him yet that morning. As they pulled apart, she said, “Nice lipstick Eric. It’s a great spring shade for you. I’m glad Chaney thinks so, too, as she’s wearing the same shade.”

Halvo blushes profusely at getting indirectly caught and called out by his mother for kissing Chaney.
His mom only smirked at him as she turned to Chaney and said, “For the record dear, I’m glad it’s you he’s canoodling with than some of the other girls he’s dated. You two are a much better fit, and I’ve told him that for years. I’m just glad he’s finally listened. Also, that is a lovely lip shade, dear.”

Chaney was the one blushing now as she moved to grab the plates from the counter and head to the dining room to begin setting the table.

Mrs. Halvorsen took the dishrag hanging from her shoulder, wetting it under the faucet a little, before going over to Halvo and wiping the lipstick off his mouth. “Here dear, just need to wipe this off. If you think it was bad enough with me, just imagine how your dad would’ve responded,” she smirked.
Halvo rolled his eyes and groaned, “God, I don’t even want to think about that.”

His mom only laughed. “Well, now you won’t. Here, take these glasses and silverware and help Chaney set the table. And only that. We don’t need to go in there to find the dishes helter skelter on the table or the tablecloth bunched up in random places,” she smiled accusingly at him.

His face turned even more red than it already was as he quickly grabbed the glasses and silverware off the counter.

Chaney could instantly tell something was up because Halvo refused to make eye contact with her upon entering the dining room and his face was super red. She tried calling out to him a few times, but he didn’t acknowledge her. She moved to the other side of the table where he was currently setting out the silverware and placed a hand on his arm.

He quickly looked up at her.

“Halv, what’s wrong? Is everything alright? Did I do something?”

His face only turned more red and he felt horrible that she thought she had done anything wrong. “No uh, you didn’t do anything. It’s nothing. I’m fine. Just uh, still embarrassed from being called out by my mom about you…” he nervously chuckled. “I’m fine now that you’re here though,” he said as he leaned and gave her a quick peck on the cheek.

Her heart melted at his words. She gave his arm a gentle squeeze before returning to setting out the various plates.

The two made quick work of setting the table and bringing the various dishes over to the table.

Soon enough, brunch was ready and Mrs. Halvorsen called her husband and daughter to join them at the table. They both embrace Chaney before taking their seats at the table.

The five of them had a nice, quiet brunch. It consisted mostly of them all asking updates on Chaney and how she was doing as they hadn’t seen her in a while. Her nerves calmed shortly after brunch started. She felt stupid for ever feeling nervous about having lunch with them. They made her feel as welcome as they always had. Despite his mom indirectly finding out about her and Halvo, Mrs. Halvorsen never did more than give the occasional wink in Chaney’s direction.

It helped having Halvo sit next to her. He’d prop his arm on the back of her chair, and she would lean against the back. This looked discreet enough that no one but his mom knew what was going on. He would also occasionally keep his hand under the table and place a comforting hand on her lower thigh or hold her hand. When he could sense her nerves begin to kick in, he would rub small circles into her hand with his thumb. He would see her visibly relax and take a calming breath before resuming in whatever she was doing.

Halvo had no idea how much his presence beside her meant to Chaney. She would have been a nervous wreck without him. She knew, even now, that she had no reason to be nervous around his family, but still felt like she had a reputation to uphold. She didn’t want to disappoint them. Their opinions of her mattered just as much to her as Halvo’s did.

After brunch, His parents made their way to the living room and Dana left to go home early. She didn’t live nearby and could only stick around for a couple hours. Halvo and Chaney offered to clear the table in thanks for the delicious brunch.

Once the room was cleared and everyone was out of earshot, Halvo quickly leaned over to Chaney and gave her a short, but passionate kiss. “So, not as bad as you thought right?”

She smiled and nodded. “Yeah, I was worried over nothing. But thank you for being here just the same.”

“Of course I’d be here! I mean, it is my family…I’d be a bit worried if you were invited to my family Easter brunch over myself. Especially considering I’ve been a member of this family longer than you have,” he smirked.

Mouth wide, she playfully hit his chest. “Hey now! I’ve become just as much a part of this family as you…”

“Which is exactly my point. You’re part of this family. Nothing is going to change that. Not us dating. Not us being only friends. Nothing you do will ever erase your role in this family.”

Tears started to fill her eyes as she leaned forward to give him another quick peck. “Do you mind if we chill at your place after this? I’m getting pretty beat and I’ve missed your company.” She looked at him pleadingly from under her lashes, batting them heavily in hopes of convincing him.

“You make it sound like you have to convince me to say yes to this. Naturally I’m going to say yes to anything that involves alone time with you. Even more so if it can happen without the parent vision. Let’s head out.”

Chaney frowned slightly, “I didn’t mean we had to head out now…we can catch up with your parents more if you’d like. I don’t want to rush you.”

He scoffed, “Please. I’ve had a lifetime of brunches with my folks. I’ll still have more. What I haven’t had an abundance of is alone time with you. I fully intend on making good of that time,” he challenged with a raised eyebrow and hint of a smirk.

“Fine,” she giggled, “let’s go tell your parents bye and head out.”

They said their goodbyes to her parents before she followed Halvo to his place in her car. They parked and quietly made their way upstairs to his floor. He unlocked his door, leaving the door open behind him so Chaney could enter.

She turned to close and lock the door. When she turned back around, Halvo pinned her to the door and began passionately kissing her. His hands went straight for her waist, pulling her to him as he tried to find a respectful way to show how much he needed her.

Her hands went directly to his shoulders and up through his hair, messing up the slicked back hairdo he’d had before.

He reached down with one of his hands and grabbed the back of one of her knees, hiking it up beside his waist as she hooked her leg around him.

She began to undo his tie and threw that off to the side as he slid her cardigan off her shoulders. She began to unbutton the first few buttons of his shirt when she pulled back and stopped.

Chests heaving, he looked at her with confusion. “What’s going on Chaney? Is everything alright?”

Flushed, she replied, “Yeah, it’s just a little too fast. I’m not quite ready yet…”

He nodded, a bit confused at her words as memories of their day at the lake rang through his mind.
She could see the look of rejection filling his features and she felt terrible. She didn’t want him to think she rejected him because that wasn’t the case. She knew that she seemed more than willing to take things at a faster pace when they were at the lake. However, she felt differently now. Something about the magic of the day at the lake made her bolder than she normally would be. Today was just a normal day. She wasn’t bold on normal days. She couldn’t be. She was still the same scared and timid girl as she’s always been. She just hoped this wouldn’t interfere with her relationship with Halvo.

She put a hand on the side of his face. “Hey, I’m not saying ‘no’ forever. Just for right now. That doesn’t mean that I still don’t want to make out with my boyfriend because I totally do.”

He got a devilish smirk on his face as he threw her over his shoulder and brought her towards the couch. He laid her down on the couch before hovering over her. “Good, because I want to make out with my girlfriend.” He then leaned down, reconnecting their lips as they continued what they had started before.

Halvo couldn’t deny that the slight rejection hurt, especially after she seemed more than willing to be with him at the lake. He wasn’t sure what had changed since then, but he wouldn’t pressure her into it. He wanted their first time together to be just as special as she was to him. He just hoped she didn’t think he wasn’t worthy enough to be so intimate with her.

Chaney felt bad for not being able to do more with Halvo than what she was doing now, but she wasn’t ready. It was like it just clicked with her what was about to happen. She didn’t know if she was ready to risk her friendship with Halvo over that yet. Right now things were fine, but would they still be that way if their relationship got more serious? At this moment in time, she was ashamed to admit that she didn’t feel their friendship would survive it. She wouldn’t ever tell him that though, and decided to relish the time they had together now. Besides, what was the harm in living in the moment? She was going to embrace what she and Halvo shared now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! Sorry for the lack of updates lately. Life is getting really hectic right now. I have a huge senior presentation on the 29th, so until that's over, updates will be few and far between. My schedule will lighten up significantly after that, so be expecting more consistent updates. (Possibly back to more than one a week) So, here's another Chalvo chapter, and it's dedicated to WhiskeyPrincess118 who wanted more Chalvo fluff. Here ya go :) As always, thank you for reading, subscribing, and commenting :)

Replies:
recycledsweaters So Chalvo fluff. Here's more. haha. Yes, enjoy the fluff with a bag of popcorn for now. More to come!! Design stuff is going pretty meh unfortunately. Lack of motivation isn't my friend with this project at the moment. But yeah, thank you for your kind words as you inspire me more than you realize :)

princewentz I'm so glad you're enjoying this!! After next week I hope to be more consistent with updating regularly again, so just hang tight!! Thanks for reading!!

jvlienne Any more Chalvo feels from this chapter??? Also, I'm not trying to sway anyone onto any particular "team" just for clarification :) Hope this update was worth the read. Also, good to know what Macca's is! haha. I had no idea.