Status: Complete

I'll Be Home for Christmas, Hopefully

I'll Be Home for Christmas, Hopefully

“I know and I will hop a flight as soon as we leave the arena.” Patrick spoke quickly over the phone.

“Okay, I will see you soon. I love you, Patrick.”
“Love you too, Sadie.” Patrick ended the call and walked to shower before they left the arena in Denver. ]
t was a short flight and with Sadie due in a few days, he was hoping she would have the baby over the Christmas break. It was a long shot but they had talked to the her doctor before he left and he had assured them they would have a baby in a few days. Climbing on the plane earlier that day, had been the hardest thing Patrick had ever done. His life had become a roller-coaster the last few years but finding Sadie was a God send. She had seen through him and made him want to be a better person. The chase had drawn Patrick in and he had fallen harder for her than any other woman he had ever had in his life. She pushed him away and made him woo her, something Patrick had never done. He knew once he was in though, he was in for life. She was the person he wanted to be. She was loyal, witty and smart. Her nursing career was important to her and she wanted to work for as long as she could.
“Mr. Kane, I’m sorry but your flight had been cancelled due to the weather.” The attendant behind the counter told him as he stood there.
“What do you mean, cancelled?”
“The airport in Chicago has diverted all flights.” She spoke matter of factly, never looking up.
“You don't understand, I have to get home. My wife is having a baby.”
“I am truly sorry but there is nothing I can do for you.” She dismissed him and he walked away trying to figure out what to do.
As he pulled his luggage behind him he figured he could drive. It couldn't take that long, right?
He walked to the rental car desk and stood behind a gentleman that was waiting as well. They talked for a few minutes, long enough for the man to get excited that Patrick Kane was standing with him. He was from Chicago and went on and on about how big of a fan he was. He learned that the man had been on the same flight that Patrick was supposed to be on and decided to just rent a car and drive the fourteen hours home.
“I have your keys sir, It was the last car we have.” The man spoke as the man signed the paperwork.
“That was the last car?” Patrick walked up behind them, interrupting their exchange.
“Yes sir, it was the last car that was available from any of us.” He pointed down the counter at the other rental places.
“I need a car, you don't understand.”
“I’m sorry, sir.”
“Fuck.” Patrick mumbled and he turned to find another way home.
“Wait.”
Patrick stopped and turned as the man started talking.
“You can ride with me. I am going to Chicago and if we both drive we can get home by tomorrow afternoon.”
“I don't know.”
“Its no problem, I want you to make it home for the holidays too.” He smiled. Patrick relented and decided it was the best option he had. He just hoped this person wasn't all kinds of crazy. He looked him over noticing that he was well dressed and looked to have been on a business trip. Not caring about anything but being home with Sadie he took the man's hand and shook it.
“My name is Rich, by the way.”
“Nice to meet you.” He smiled as the two men made their way out of the airport.

After navigating their way out of the airport and onto the highway, the man starting talking about the game earlier that day. Patrick spoke to him for several minutes before calling Sadie.
“There’s a problem.”
“I know, I heard the airport was closed.”
“I am driving, well Rich is driving for now but I should be home tomorrow afternoon.”
“Who is Rich?”
“He got the last car and he happens to be a Hawks fan so, here I sit.”
“Is that safe?” She chuckled.
“I didn't have any other option, except wait until the airport opened. I really didn't want to sit in the airport for three days.”
“Please be careful.”
“I will, I love you.”
“Love you too.” He could hear the smile in her voice and sighed as he hung up the phone.
“It really is nice to see you settled down.” Rich broke into the silence.
“She’s the best.”
“She has made you a better person. We fans were worried about you for a lot of years but she has really rounded you out.”
“You don't think is has to do with me getting older?”
“No, I think it is that woman. My wife will tell you that she changed me, I wasn't much different than you in my younger days.” He looked over and winked at Patrick.
“You can't be much older than me, what thirty two, thirty three?”
“Thanks, that is quite a compliment but I am almost forty five.”
“Really?” Patrick looked him over again.
“My wife makes me younger.”
“She does.”
Patrick looked over the highway as they continued driving.
“You hungry?” He asked Rich a couple hours later, “I could use some food.”
“Sure anything in particular?”
“Just something quick, the clock is ticking.” Patrick tapped his watch.
Rich smiled over at him, taking the next exit that had several fast food options. They settled on Wendy’s and grabbed dinner. After a short discussion, Patrick all but forced his card into Rich’s hand.
“Its the least I can do.”
Rich relented, passing the card through the car window and passing it back to Patrick with his drink.
Rich steered the car into a parking place and ate as they talked. A few hours later they were still chatting when there was a loud noise and the car swerved hard to the right. Rich was swearing as he slowed the car and got out to look over the damage. The front drivers side tire had blow out. They emptied out the trunk and pulled out the spare when they both noticed that there wasn't a jack. They were in the middle of no man's land and they both stood looking at each other.
“What do we do now?”
“Try to call a tow truck, I guess.” Rich answered with a shrug.
After several calls they found a place that could help but they were almost an hour away. They settled in the car and waited. After thirty minutes Rich had had enough and called the rental company. Patrick listened as Rich spoke to someone. He apparently wasn't very happy about what he was being told.
“You made me pay over a hundred dollars for a car that had no jack and I am stuck in the middle of BFE and there is nothing you can do. How about pay for the fucking tow truck charges?”
“I don't really care what your policy is, I wouldn't be in this mess if this car had decent tires and a jack.” Rich was tapping the steering wheel and he got more aggravated.
“I understand that but you are really not helping me.” He slammed his hand over the steering wheel and dropped the phone into the cup holder that only moments ago had held Patrick’s drink.
“Its fine man, we will get there. I don't mind paying for the tow truck.”
“I don't either but it’s the principle of it all. They should be trying to help.” Rich spoke looking out over the dark highway.
“I get it but what could they do?”
“I don't know be sympathetic?”
“I am sure that would have helped but you did say fuck.” Patrick laughed causing Rich to relax and laugh with him.
“Sorry about that.” Rich shrugged.
“That word is part of my work, so no worries.” Patrick lifted his drink to his mouth and leaned back into the seat. Four hours later they were on their way and things were going smoothly.
They were just about to cross over into Nebraska when a deer ran out in front of the car. The collision was much worse than Patrick had ever thought possible. He swerved to try and miss it but he didn't have a chance. They were between Lincoln and Omaha when it happened a little more than half way home. The car was not drivable and Patrick kicked the side of it, the frustration finally getting the best of him. They waited for the cops to get there and were thankful that one of them gave them a ride to a local hotel. The attendant told them that nothing was open until six in the morning. Patrick looked down at his watch, just after two.
“I guess give us two rooms and call a rental company when they open and book two rental cars.”
“Will do, Mr. Kane.”
Patrick handed Rich a room key and thanked him for everything. Rich smiled and shook his hand smiling.
“Glad I could help.”
“Contact the team and I will make sure you have tickets for the rest of the season.”
“Thanks, that would be great.”
“You saved me by getting me this far.”
“Would do it again, missing my second child’s birth almost killed me.”
“You missed it?” Patrick asked as they walked onto the elevator.”
“Yeah, it wasn't fun but kinda the same situation. I was on a business trip in Buffalo and there was a freak snowstorm in March.”
“Damn lake effect snow.” Patrick laughed.
“You would know.” He smiled getting back to the story.
“My wife’s c-section was scheduled for the Thursday after an important business meeting in Buffalo on Monday. I never thought anything about it until I couldn't get my flight home. She went into labor on Tuesday and I couldn't get a flight or a car. Thinking back I should have just bought a car and drove home.”
“The thought crossed my mind.”
“You have more access to money than I did then, wouldn't be a problem now.”
“what do you do?”
“I work in acquisitions.”
“Big business.”
“It can be, we mostly try to save big business from folding. Too many jobs lost, unfortunately.”
“At least you try.”
“Anyway, my wife went into labor and I missed it. I got there the next morning but I will never forgive myself for not being there, I have a lot of respect for you, for what you are doing. You got in a car with a complete stranger and drove halfway around the world, or at least that's how it feels.” he chuckled.
“It does, doesn't it.” Patrick spoke as the elevator doors opened.
“Thanks again Rich.”
“Anytime, Kaner.” He winked then disappeared into his room.

Chapter 2

“I don't know what to do.” Patrick spoke into the phone as he complained to the rental car company.
“I’m sorry sir but we wont have a car available until later this afternoon.”
“Well, I guess I will wait.” Patrick hung up the phone not wanting to make the call to Sadie.
“Pat?”
“Hey babe, looks like it is going to take a bit longer.”
“Ummm, how much longer?”
“I will be here until at least lunch time.”
“Where is here?”
“Omaha.”
“Nebraska?”
“Yeah, Nebraska.”
“Okay, well that may be a problem.”
“Why, is everything okay?”
“I have been having contracts since about three this morning.”
“Fuck...” Patrick dropped his head into his hands.
“It could be hours.”
“I know but I should be there with you.”
“Mom’s here.”
“I know but...”
“Patrick, just do what you have to do to get here.”
“I’m trying, call me in a bit.”
“I love you.”
“Love you too.” Patrick hung up the phone ready to buy a damn car if he had too. He stood walking down to the hotel restaurant to grab breakfast.
“He ran into Rich and sat with him while they ate.
“It will be nice to be home in a few hours.” Rich spoke as he sat his coffee on the table.
“A few hours?”
“Yeah, once I get done here, I will be on my way.”
“You got a car?”
“Yes, did you not?”
“No.”
Rich laughed, “I guess throwing your name around here does nothing for you. Come on, the adventure continues.” He slapped Patrick in the shoulder as he stood. Patrick stood following him out of the restaurant.
“Meet ya here in twenty?" Rich grinned.
“Yeah, twenty.”
After packing the car again, they were on their way.
“She is having contractions.” Patrick spoke over the steering wheel.
“I remember that, it was the longest twelve hours of my life.”
“Twelve hours?”
“Yeah it can take forever.”
“I hope so, I can't miss this.”
“You will be there.”
“I hope so.” Patrick’s foot pressed down on the gas pedal.
he looked over at Rich who was chuckling as he lifted his phone to his ear.
“Yeah, he is back in the car with me.” He spoke then listened as someone else was talking.
“I am sure he would make an exception.” He spoke again.
“Yeah, I should be home before dinner.”
“Sure thing son, see you soon.”
He placed the phone in his lap and looked over at Patrick.
“You wouldn't mind meeting my son, would you?”
“He can meet the whole damn team, as far as I am concerned.” Patrick smiled.
“That would make his whole year, I am sure.”
“He’s a hawks fan?”
“The biggest, although if I am honest he loves Crawford the best.”
“He’s a good goalie and and even better teammate.”
“My son is a goalie, he wants to play for the hawks one day.”
“Maybe I could get him into practice and he could play with us now.”
“You would do that?”
“Of course, you have saved me so many times in the last two days, I would do about anything.”
“Can I come to practice too?” Rich laughed.
“Whatever you want.” Patrick smiled over to him.

When they crossed into Illinois, Patrick sighed in relief.
“Almost home,” he nudged Rich who was napping in the passenger seat.
“Sorry about that, I am not used to being sleep deprived.”
“Yeah, well I am used to it. Sleeping on a plane isn't always fun.”
Patrick grabbed his ringing phone and saw Sadie’s name on the screen.
“Patrick?”
“Sadie, are you okay?”
“I am at the hospital, how far away are you.”
“At least an hour.”
“Can you hurry?” He frowned at the strain in her voice.
“I am trying baby.”
“I don't think it is going to be much longer.”
“I will be there as soon as I can. I love you.”
He sat the phone down and looked at the GPS. “Fuck.” He swore.
“She okay?”
“She is in labor and she said it wasn't going to be long.”
“Drive to the hospital, my wife can pick me up there.”
“Thanks.”
“You are about to become a father, I wouldn't do anything that would make you miss that.”
Patrick slammed the car in park running for the door. Rich laughed as he opened his door and made his way around to park the car.
“I’m here for Sadie Kane.”
“She is in room 627.”
“Thanks.” Patrick ran for the elevator. He stood punching the button impatiently. “Shit, shit shit.” He turned and saw the stairs and took off running. He took the stairs two at a time, thankful that he was in shape but by the fourth floor he was winded and taking them a bit slower. When he opened the door on the sixth floor he ran for the nurse’s station. He couldn't talk, his breathing so heavy.
“Mr. Kane.” A nice nurse spoke as he stood there heaving. “This way.”
Patrick nodded and followed her down the hall. He walked in and saw Sadie laying back her brow furrowed as she rode out a contraction.
“Sadie.” He spoke as he knelt beside the bed.
“Patty.” She smiled.
“They are coming back in, so I can push..”
“I almost didn't make it.”
“I knew you would.”
“I can't believe we are having a Christmas baby.”
“Its not Christmas, yet.” Sadie smiled then grabbed at her back as she was rocked by another contraction.
“What can I do?” Patrick asked as he kissed her on the forehead.
“Nothing.” She ground out.
“I love you.”
“I love you too but remind me when I say I want another one, that this hurts like hell.”
“You didn't get any drugs?”
“I couldn't, I was too far along when I got here.”
“Nonsense.”
“I have had some drugs but I can't have an epidural.”
“I hate to see you hurting like this.” He took her hand in his as a nurse and doctor walked into the room, pushing a cart.
“You ready?”
“Yes.” Patrick answered.
“Glad you made it, Mr. Kane.” The doctor spoke as he shook his hand.

“Okay one more.” The doctor said as Sadie leaned forward and pushed with everything she had. Patrick loved her but he realized that he loved her even more watching her give life to his son. He heard a loud cry and looked over to see a small baby in the doctors hands. The doctor stood placing the baby on Sadie’s chest and reaching back for a pair of scissors.
“Want to cut the cord?” The doctor asked Patrick.
“Yes.” Patrick took the scissors and cut the cord. He looked down at the squirming baby in his wife's arm and after placing a soft kiss on her lips and one on the babies head, he smiled down at her.
“I have the best life ever.” He spoke and for the first time in his life he knew that he meant it. He loved her and his baby more than anything else in the world and even if it wasn't Christmas, he knew that from this day forward no matter what, he would always be home for Christmas.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is for a contest (http://www.mibba.com/Forums/Topic/184105/Under-the-Mistletoe-a-NHL-Christmas-contest/). I may go back and write the back story of how they met. Not sure though, give me some feed back, if you want more I will write it...