The Man and the Moon

Ethan Crowe's Big Night

“So what are you planning to do with all of this junk anyway?” Ms. Parker asked as she rounds up the prices.

Ethan Crowe helped the cashier put the items in bags, marveling at his new idea.

“I’m trying to get closer to the moon, remember? It’s always been a dream of mine, ever since I was a little spurt,” He said, smiling to himself.

Ms. Parker could recall the times when she’d run out of her house around the same time every night at the age of twelve. While escaping the rage of her arguing parents, she’d run down the road and through the woods to Ethan’s house. On the way there, she'd pick at salamanders and flowers that she'd find by the streams that led the way. She knew she could count on him being there almost any night, even through the cold and rain, looking up at the sky. He’d hear her steps crunching the leaves and twigs and turn to her, causing her heart to beat faster. He’d help her up onto the boulder that they made their hideaway and then they’d sit for hours, feeling, watching, talking.

“I’ll meet you someday, Ms. Moon,” she’d hear him whisper.

She’d smile and grab his hand, hoping for him.

“Well coming from anyone else, I’d say that you have got to be the maddest man I've ever met,” she laughed lightly, “but I can’t put down a big dreamer like you.”

“Thanks, Elaine.”

Ethan tipped his hat to her before picking his bags up and leaving the store. As he walked home, he hummed happily; taking glances at the afternoon sky, spotting his life-long friend faded from the daylight. When he got home, he set his bags down and took off his hat, placing it on the table by his foyer. He then hooked his jacket onto the coat rack and commenced to work on his project.

By eight that evening, his invention was complete. Ethan put on his best suit, grabbed his contraption, then headed out the door. Not before grabbing his hat first, of course. He took his flashlight out of his pocket and made his way through the woods to the opening that he used to visit when he was younger. He set his things down and sat on the boulder that looked so big at the age of twelve. He chuckled as he pulled a rope from his small pile of belongings and looped it, tying a knot to make a lasso.

“Today is the day,” he exclaimed.

He got up and whipped the lasso around, twirling it into high speed. He finally set the rope free and tossed it into the direction of the moon. Excitement filled him as he watched it go up and up…then fall back down. He frowned as he picked it up, thinking that this idea would work. ‘It has to work,’ he thought.

After multiple failed attempts, Ethan was flabbergasted.

“This is outrageous!”

He flailed his arms in anger and concluded that this was a foolish idea. Ethan was so fixed on the idea of meeting this beautiful, glowing planetoid. But it was not meant to be. He wrapped up his rope and started to gather his things when he noticed the ground around him get brighter and brighter. He stood erect slowly, looking around suspiciously. He cautiously turned around to be greeted by the craters of the moon.

“Whoa!” He fell back onto his bottom, ignoring the pain from amazement. “Is it-”

“Yes, it really is me,” the moon interrupted. She had a soft feminine voice, sounding a bit like mother had in Ethan's younger years.

“But how did-why-All these years,” Ethan started, finally getting his thoughts together, “I’m finally meeting you.”

He got up from the ground and brushed himself off. He laughed out of content, stepping over the streams and patches of muddy ground to get closer to her. He reached out his hand to touch her, but hesitated.

“Don’t worry, I don’t bite,” she offered.

He stuck his hand out all the way and ran his hand across her smooth yet crumbly surface.

“This is amazing,” he whispered. He examined his hand to look at his finger tips which seemed virtually polished. “Oh wait!” Ethan held up a finger to the moon, asking her to stick around for another minute or two. He went back to his belongings and picked up his homemade Polaroid camera. “I made this,” he started, “out of scratch. It took some time, but it was worth it.”

“What is it?” She asked.

“A camera. I promised an old friend that if she wasn't there the day I met you,” he started smiling to himself, “that I’d find a way to capture you in some way. That way, she could have the pleasure of meeting you too.”

“That’s so sweet of you, Mr. Crowe.”

“How do you know my name?”

“A little girl told me about ten years ago,” the moon glowed lightly, seeming to shimmer. "She told me all about your dream to meet me, and how happy it would make her. That’s why I came; a greeting long overdue, Ethan Crowe.”

Ethan bit his lip. “That little Elaine Parker always was a kind girl,” he grinned.

“That’s right. Now come snap that photo of yours, I have a job to return to,” she giggled lightly.

Ethan smiled big as he set up the camera on a tripod and approached the moon. He pressed down on the timer connected to the camera and the light flashed, signaling that the task was done.

“Thank you so much Ms. Moon,” Ethan said enthusiastically.

He skipped over to the camera and picked out the Polaroid, waving it around to see the outcome. Boy, was it perfect!

“No problem, Ethan. Now go give your friend that photo, I’m sure she would appreciate it.”

“You can count on it,” Ethan waved, his eyes staring to get watery.

He watched the moon as it seemed to just appear back into the night sky and look as beautiful as ever. He tipped his hat to the moon, then gathered his things and left. Before making his way to the shop, he stopped by his house to drop off his things, except for the picture. Mr. Crowe marched up to the Parker family’s shop and was glad to see that they were just starting to close up. He spotted Elaine in the far corner of the shop reading a book, a hobby that she had developed at the age of seven. A smile spread across his face as he approached her. When she looked up at him she smiled in return, setting the book down and getting up from her seat.

“Look at who it is,” she raised an eyebrow, “back so soon?”

“Yes, and I bare gifts.” Ethan’s smile grew bigger with the anticipation.

“Oh, really?”

“Well, no. Just one actually.”

Elaine laughed as she examined his face, looking for an answer. Ethan slowly revealed the Polaroid that he had been hiding behind his back. At first she thought it was a joke, laughing nervously. But then when he gave it to her, she took a closer look and started to tear up. Ethan stood beside her, wrapping his arm around her shoulder.

“She told me that an old friend asked her to meet me.”

“I didn't know that she was actually listening to me,” Elaine smiled while sniffling.

“Well she was, and she wanted to make sure that I got this picture to you,” He smiled, pulling her closer. “I hope you like it, love.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys liked it. :)