‹ Prequel: Streak of Black
Sequel: Ryder Homecoming
Status: This story is told back and forth between Lovett and Ryder's points of view. The chapter bar says who's speaking at any given time. This is the last installment of this series

Aspen County

Chapter 15: Lovett

I walk out of my room the day after the Full Moon, only to see Louve once again curled up on the couch wrapped around a pillow. I sigh and sit beside her, pulling her to me and wrapping my arms securely around her. She leans into my shoulder.

“What's wrong?” I ask even though I have a pretty good idea of what the answer is.

She stares straight ahead at the wall, her voice devoid of all emotion. “He was talking to me again today. He was telling me how much he missed me and how he'll find me. He told me how much he loved me and that they have a way to find us. I keep trying to tell myself that it's because we're mated, but the truth is that he probably would've said all of the stuff he's been saying even if I hadn't taken him as a mate.”

“Don't be crazy,” I whisper, squeezing her. “Everyone knows what a mated bond can do to a wolf. It can make us obsessive and crazy.”

“It's not crazy, Lovett,” she says quietly, pulling away slightly. “I'm not crazy.”

“I never said you are, but you know I'm right.”

She sighs, standing and beginning to pace. “Are you? You don't know what he said to me, even before we were mated. He told me he loved me back when all of the craziness began. He said that he's felt that way for years. Even if I hadn't given in, he would probably still be telling me all of this. Don't you get it, Lovett?” She pauses. “No, of course you don't. You don't because you're not mated. You've never been, and so you don't know what it's like to be separated from someone you care about so much. Someone who holds your heart in their hand… At least that's how it feels. And I know that he feels the same way because he told me so last week.”

I stand and put my hands on her shoulders, looking into her eyes. “Louve, don't give in and tell him. You made the right decision—you know that you did. If you were to go back, you wouldn't do anything differently. So please, stop listening to him. Just shut him out for a while—I know you'll feel better.”

She shrugs my hands away. “I won't feel better! I can't shut him out because I need to hear his voice, as much as it hurts. It's all that helps.”

I shake my head, trying and struggling to be understanding. After all, I am trying to convince my sister to forget about her mate, the very guy I used to hate, and that's a fact that she'll no doubt remember for a very long time.

“Just leave me alone, Lovett.” She turns away and begins walking towards her room.

“Louve,” I call, grabbing her arm. My hand immediately drops when she turns around and glares at me with a cynical smile masking her face. “Get out,” I growl, backing away.

“Now, Lovett. That's no way to talk to your sister. I thought that your mother would've taught you some manners.” She laughs. “Oh that's right, she can't because she's buried six feet under.”

“Shut up! You're not my sister.”

“Well I am in her body, so I should get some points for that one.”

“You may be in her body, but you're not her, you vile little—“

“Uh-uh-uh. Be careful what you say, Lovett. Some children may be listening. Besides, it doesn't matter what you say. You should know that by now. I'll stay here for as long as I very well please, and there's nothing that you can do about it.”

“Leave her alone!” I growl under my breath.

“God, you werewolves are so monotonous. 'Leave me alone,' she'll tell me. 'Leave her alone,' you and Ryder will tell me. Get a larger vocabulary.” She actually looks bored.

"Leave. Her. Alone!" I command, this time more vehemently and with my teeth gritted menacingly.

She gazes at me with excitement in her eyes. "Not happening—I'm having much too much fun torturing you right now."

I snarl. "Why are you so annoying?"

"Why do you and your sister ask so many useless questions?"

"Why don't you leave her alone?"

She guffaws, Louve's shoulders sagging. "I already told you. Torturing others is how I create my amusement. But I'll tell you right now: things are changing very soon."

"What do you mean?" I demand suspiciously.

"Very soon I will leave her alone."

I raise my eyebrow. "What's the catch?"

"I'll be jumping to your head instead."

"Why would you do that? I thought that you and my sister had some type of a connection or something."

"We do. But very soon, things will be changing for you, Lovett. Things are going to get interesting."

"How?"

She gets a mischievous glint in her eyes. "Just know that I'll be waiting and, very soon, I'll be watching. I'll always be watching." She throws her head back, beginning to shriek with an awful, shrill laugh.

Snarling once again, I storm out of the hut, unable to deal with my sister and the voice in her head right now.
* * * * *
I slam the door behind me, furious with Louve and that Voice! I don't even notice Keene until I almost run into him. I sigh. “I'm sorry,” I mutter stepping back.

He smiles that knowing, gentle smile of his. “What's wrong? I can tell that something's got you down.”

“That 'ability' of yours again?” I ask, my voice harsher than I intended.

He keeps a light face, understanding my frustration. “No need, you look like you're ready to kill someone. Go on—tell me what's wrong.”

“Alright, but can we go somewhere else. I don't want anyone to hear this stuff about her. I just need to get it off my chest.”

He nods understandingly, leading me to his hut. We shut ourselves in his room, and I lean against his desk as he sits on the bed. I still hesitate, but then I hear myself telling him all about the fight and about the others 'discussions' I've had with Monique and Louve about Monique since arriving at the village. I just need someone to talk to, and Keene is just so nice and understanding. He stays silent as I rant about how bad my sister has become since we left France. I don't even realize how much everything has been upsetting me until I finish.

I'm left feeling vulnerable, having just gushed to him everything that's been going on with my sister. I feel like I wouldn't tell anyone else any of that, not even my Pack, but telling him seems right, and it feels good to have someone that I can talk to without being afraid of being judged.

“Wow,” he mutters in a particullarly un-Shaman-like way after I finally manage to clamp my mouth shut again. I'm kind of relieved at the feeling that he's responding like a friend and not an outsider. “I'm sorry. It's really awful what that thing is doing to your sister. I'm sure that not even Grandmother would see just how much damage the entity is causing.”

“Yeah, it is pretty bad.” I sigh and rub my hands up and down my face in frustration. “And I miss my Pack. We were dysfunctional, but we cared about each other. I almost wish they were here. But I guess it is for the better that they don't see Louve this way, especially Ryder. He'd be heartbroken to see her struggle with this thing the way that she has been." I chuckle humorlessly. "I'd feel bad for him, and the funny thing is, that I'm not even that fond of him.” I look at my feet and kick the floor. “It's tearing me apart already as it is.” I almost feel like I'm about to cry purely from the feeling of defeat by the Voice in my sister's head.

Keene gets up and sits beside me on the desk. "I'm sorry that you are being tried in this way. It is no way for anyone to live. But Grandmother says that once Louve gets rid of that demon within, she'll be herself again. She just has two people in her head right now fighting for control of one mind."

"Believe me, I know." I sigh and kick the floor. "I just want my little sister back—no. I need her back."

"I know that it's not what you want, but if you ever need someone to talk to, you know I'm here for you."

"Yeah, I know. Thanks. It's nice having someone to talk to. Back with our pack, I knew that they would give their lives for me like I would for them, but I always felt like an outsider, especially after Ryder joined us and took so much of Louve's attention. While I'm glad she finally had a friend other than just me, I couldn't help but feel even lonlier, maybe even jealous, at their friendship. Everyone always had someone, and even if they didn't—I don't know. I guess they were just intimidated. I will admit that I was a little antisocial and mainly focused on the safety of the group, namely my sister.” I can't stop babbling for some reason, and I will my mouth to just clamp shut or for him to interrupt. “I guess I'm just saying...thanks. For being my friend, that is." I feel heat rising in my cheeks and wonder why I'm so embarrassed or why I was just saying all of this to a guy, especially one I barely know. I mean, sure Keene's a nice guy, but still. And even more important, why am I suddenly so aware of how close he is and how much heat his body is emitting? I jolt away, immediately feeling bad at the hurt look on his face. "I'm sorry. I should go."

"What happened? You don't have to leave." He looks sad. "What's wrong?"

I open my mouth but don't know what to say. I don't know what's wrong. In fact, I don't feel like there's anything wrong except for the fact that I liked being so close to Keene on the desk. And that's what scares me. If I leave, all of those weird feelings will be gone and everything will make sense again. I abruptly and vaguely remember seeing part of a movie as a kid where two guys were in a couple but that it wasn't accepted by members of one of the guy's family. I begin getting nervous and back a little away from Keene.

"Lovett, just tell me what's wrong." His voice is gentle and patient as always, and I don't know what to say. If I tell him what I felt, what will he say? Will he laugh? Will he shun me? Will he tell others and have me exiled or killed? I've only ever seen a woman and a man in a couple—never two people of the same sex. But I've lived in a forest for the past 6 years and always lived within the protective walls of my childhood homes before that, rarely roaming. What do I know? Maybe it is okay.

"Um, I don't know. I think my mind is just playing tricks on me. But I really think I should go home and rest for a while."

He looks away briefly and whispers in a small voice, "You don't have to go."

I swallow, wanting to bolt from these strange and alien thoughts. "What do you mean?"

He looks up at me with vulnerable, hopeful eyes. "I mean that you could stay here—with me—for a little longer. But, I mean, only if you want. I...I feel as comfortable with you as you do with me." His cheeks begin to turn red. "But, I mean, only stay if you want."

I can't believe that this is the same Keene that I've gotten to know over the past couple of weeks. He doesn't seem serene and wise like he usually does; he looks nervous and insecure, a side of him I never thought I'd see. Right now, he's as far as he could be from the future Shaman of the village; he's just a regular guy barely out of his teens who's spent most of his life almost as isolated as my own. Still feeling a tight knot in my stomach, I sit back beside him on the desk, leaning my hand on it so that there's only a millimeter of space between his hand and mine.

He looks away from me. "I feel like I should tell you right now that even though I've never picked a mate...I'm gay,” he mumbles. “That's actually why I've never picked a mate. I seem to be the only gay werewolf there is, actually. Ever." I've never seen this much emotion on his face, let alone any form of embarrassment.

"I've heard that word before but don't know what it means."

"Right, you weren't exposed much to the world.” He sighs awkwardly, and I'm again confused with how scattered he seems. “It means that I'm not attracted to girls. I find them pretty but don't want to be with them." He now refuses to meet my eyes, which is completely out of character for my normally friendly and open companion. "I'm attracted to other guys, and...I like you." He breathes out a sigh and glances up at me.

I bite my lip and silently move my hand by slow increments to cover his. Our eyes meet, and we lean in closer to each other. I want to close the space between us, but I'm still scared. "But isn't it wrong. I'm one of the 'Chosen Two,' and you're to take your grandmother's place as the village Shaman when she passes on."

"Lovett, how many times must I tell you?” he asks with a smile. “Our people don't judge, or at least not the ones who exist here in the village. No one will care. And grandmother says it's a sign of my individuality and that it shows that I will be great when the time comes to take her place. The only thing that would hold us back is if you don't want me the way that I want you. If you don't, I would—"

I stop him by leaning in and pressing my lips gently kissing him. He reciprocates eagerly, and we soon find our arms wrapped around each other.

We finally pull away, smiling shyly at each other. We untangle our arms from around each other, but my right hand slips happily into his left.

"I suppose we'll have to tell others, huh?" I ask.

He nods. "The woes of being a figurehead in a small community."

I sigh and slip off of the desk, still holding his warm hand. "I better get home and check on Louve. I can feel her through the Bond, and she's sorry for earlier."

"See you tomorrow?"

"Of course." We smile at each other once more before I turn towards the door. I feel a tingle in my mind, and warmth surges through my body as a translucent strand of silver connects Keene and me. "Bye," I whisper. I brush a soft kiss against his cheek and hurry out of his room towards the entrance of his house with a goofy grin on my face.

As I open the door, I'm hit with a gentle wave of a familiar scent that feels alien in the valley. "Keene," I call.

He rushes to my side, concerned. "What's wrong?" His dedication to my safety is adorable, and I crack a wider smile.

"Nothing's wrong. I just wanted to know if you wanted to meet my Pack."

He looks confused. "Of course, but I thought that you and Louve left them in France."

“We did." I gaze out at the entrance of the valley where I see a familiar figure creeping out ahead of the others from behind the trees. "They found us."
* * * * *
I run back to my hut, throwing the door open and skidding into Louve's room. She looks up, alarmed.

"Lovett—hello, Keene—I'm sorry for how I was earlier. It wasn't—"

"Never mind that. It isn't important. Come with me."

She looks back and forth between Keene and me. "What's going on?" she demands suspiciously.

Finally, I roll my eyes and grab her arm, dragging her off of the bed and out the door. "Smell the air and look to the hills."

She does as I command, and I hear her breath catch as her eyes widen. "Ryder," she whispers. She shakes free of my grip, forgetting why we left our Pack in France and how she wanted to stay away from Ryder until she got rid of Monique, and focuses only on the fact that her mate is 50 meters away from her.

She runs faster than I did to get to her, and I watch as she launches herself into Ryder's open arms. With Keene in tow, I follow my sister and find my entire pack on the outskirts of the village behind Ryder. The twins welcome me first, enveloping me into a hug. Then I'm handed off to Eyulf and Zeeva, followed by Rudi. Ryder and Louve finally separate, but she grabs his forearms and turns them so that his wrists face up, revealing horrible burn marks similar to Louve's scars.

"What happened?" she demands, her voice almost amusingly accusatory.

"I got arrested, remember. I never had a reason to find out before, but apparently, cops use steel in their handcuffs." He shrugs.

"And their cell bars," Eyulf adds, rolling his eyes. Louve, Keene and I look at Ryder's face, and he sheepishly opens his clenched fists, revealing burns that cover most of his right palm and parts of his fingers.

Louve sighs incredulously and shakes her head before releasing him and turning to the rest of our friends. I give Ryder a brief welcoming hug

"So now that we've all learned not to ever get arrested, how did you guys find us?" I ask.

"It's not like I did it on purpose—I just made the rookie mistake of getting caught in an alleyway, and they were driving pretty fast. But anyways, I saw you guys on a plane, found out where it was going, and followed you here. It was hard to find you guys from there, but we managed." He glances at my sister. "Nice hair, by the way."

She tucks the black lock behind her ear and gazes up at him with adoring eyes. "If you saw us then, why didn't you say anything?"

"You were already on the plane...you saw me. You waved and winked."

She shakes her head, and an upset expression flashes across her face. "No I didn't."

Ryder sighs, clearly wanting to say something about the Voice but biting it back. "Don't worry—that's not important. What matters is that I'm here with you again just like we're meant to be."

Louve nods, allowing Ryder to wrap an arm around her shoulder. But she looks distant. I recognize that face—it means she's talking to Monique. I sigh and look away.

"So this is the 'werewolf sanctuary?'" Zeeva asks, gazing around at the valley where werewolves live and play and work.

"Yeah, this is the place." I gesture at Keene. "This is Keene, village Shaman in training."

He smiles. "It's a pleasure to meet you. I'd like to take you to my grandmother; she'll want to meet you. I'm sure she already knows you are here."

Everyone mumbles their agreement and follows Keene. Louve seems to be back to herself again and gladly slips her hand into Ryder's. I want to do that with Keene, but too much is going on right now to begin announcing that I've chosen him to be my mate. Ryder, on the other hand seems to think this is the perfect moment to discuss my love life.

"So, Lovett," he says slyly, stepping up beside me, "in a valley full of werewolves, have you finally found one that will take you?"

I bite my lip, glancing at Keene out of the corner of my eye. "Um, well..."

Keene shrugs his shoulders, but before either of us can say anything, Louve interjects. "Who could you have met? Whenever you're not with me, you're with Keene." I know, just by the tone of her voice, that I've lost her again, and I sigh.

Not wanting to alert the others that the transition has taken place, I say nothing, but by the way he stiffened, I can tell that Keene realized it too. I glance at him again, and he returns my gaze, his eyes seeming to ask if he should say anything. I quickly shake my head as we keep walking. Eyes stare at us, the villagers wondering who the big group with us is. I wish that Keene's grandmother didn't live at the back of the village.

"Care to share your thoughts with the group?" Eyulf asks playfully.

I bite my lip, looking at Keene again. And then a domino effect happens.

"No, you can't be serious," Ryder whispers in an amused voice, mistaking our silent conversation about Louve to be about our new and secret romance.

"What?" Nyx demands.

"Oh my God, you're kidding me, right?" Rudi asks.

"What are you guys talking about?" Louve asks impatiently. I look back at her to explain, but her face is distant again. After a few moments, she returns to normal. "Oh," she whispers. She looks back and forth between Keene and me again. "What?" And those who didn't understand now catch on.

"Wait. Wha—how?" Nyx asks, confused.

"How does that even work?" Nox interjects awkwardly.

"How did you know?" Ryder asks thoughtfully; his tone almost sounds sarcastic, but I'm not quite sure.

I don't look at any of them. "I just do. It just makes sense to me."

"Hats off to you, man. I'm not judging," Ryder whispers. I glance at him, and while months ago he would've definitely been judging me, his face now is completely sincere. It shocks me that he would be the first one to gladly accept this.

I let down my guard a little. "Thank you," I say quietly. "I'm glad you guys are here." I smile at Keene, and he offers me a shy grin.

"So when did it happen?" Ryder asks teasingly, and I know that the brief moment when he was actually being supportive is over.

"Actually just before I realized that you guys were here, if you really must know," I quip defensively. Keene gives me a look that says to be nice.

"Well that explains why you didn't tell me," Louve mutters bitterly.

I turn to reply to her, but before I can, Keene announces, "We're here." He leads us up the stairs to his grandmother's hut. We follow him inside, no one else talking about my new-found mate, but I know that it will definitely come up in conversation later on. We can feel the powerful air surging around us when we enter Egeria's home. Egeria herself sits cross-legged on the rug in the middle of the sitting room with her head bowed.

"Welcome, grandson, Chosen Two—and friends of our great saviors." She doesn't look at us. "Ah, my gentle, insightful young Keene, I see you have found a mate worthy of your heritage, future, and power. I am proud of you." She finally looks up and focuses her gaze on her grandson and I. "May the Wise Women of the past and Shamans of the future look down upon your union with pride and favor." She smiles at us. "Louve, I can feel the trouble within you. It has been a long day."

Louve bows her head and kneels before Keene's grandmother. "It has, ma'am. She has been influencing me, and I fear her growing power. I am no longer myself, and it scares me. I can now sense when she's with me, as you know, and I can tell that she's not here right now. However, I find that the switches are happening much more often and seamlessly. She warned me that this would happen, but it still horrifies me. I barely recognize when it is me and when it is her in my head. Please guide me."

"Child, you need not fear the darkness that is loneliness. You have always had your loving brother by your side, and now, you have your true Pack by your side once more, ready and willing to obey your every command and give their lives for you."

"But that scares me even more." She sounds like she's beginning to cry, and Ryder falls to her side, wrapping his arm around Louve. She doesn't look at him. "I can't bear the thought of her hurting any of them, not after what I let her do to Cannan. I...I don't feel safe around them. Not for my sake—but for theirs."

"Louve, what happened to Cannan?" Ryder asks gently.

I also stare at her in confusion as she meets his steady gaze with wide, wet eyes. Cannan's cowardly abandonment of the Pack when we needed him most was unthinkable and unforgivable, but I'm worried about what she could've done that was so horrible. "I allowed her to suck the very life force out of him, and I watched and smiled when she did it. I wanted her to kill him slowly and painfully, and she did. He only lived because he allowed Lunette to die in his place, and I didn't think he deserved to be alive when she was gone to the world. That was when this—" she twirls the black lock of hair "—appeared in my hair. What's happening scares me, but I like it. And I don't want you guys, even Lovett, to have to endure it with me. I don't want anymore blood on my hands."

"My dear young wolf, you are great—you are one of the Chosen Two. You have evil within you, but that evil is not who you are. I detect that you will be ready by the destined day. You need not fear any longer child. With your Pack for support and your brother at your side, you shall not fail."

Louve looks at Egeria with her big green eyes full of hope. "What will she be doing?" Ryder demands.

"Ah, you were once a human, but you are greater than many born into this life. You were destined to be by this young wolf's side for many battles to come. However, Ryder, this is one battle she must endure with only your spiritual support. Is it still safe?" she asks Louve.

My sister thinks for a moment and nods her head.

Egeria mimics the motion and turns back to Ryder. "I must swear you all to secrecy. You may never think about what I tell you; she could be in any person's mind at any time—she could be in any of our heads right now without our conscious knowledge. What I'm saying may be dangerous enough as it is, but as their friends, their Pack, and her mate, you all have the right to know. Do you swear to never speak of or think about what we tell you?" Our friends nod seriously. "Very well. Ryder, your mate is to wage war with the entity who has called herself Monique. She must defeat the guide in order to control it. Her brother must be by her side in order to possess the same power, though it is unlikely that this task is as important for him to fulfill as it is for her."

"Battle? But how?"

"The word battle often times summons thoughts of weaponry and violence. This will not be one such war. This will be fought within her mind, and that of her brother. It is a mental battle, one that could leave them both much more exhausted and weary but powerful than any physical form of conflict ever could. They have been preparing for this since they arrived in our village, and the new moon symbolizes the beginning of this war."

"But won't she—won't they both be putting their lives at risk? Isn't there some other way to get rid of this thing?" Ryder's face is hopeful and desperate, and I almost pity him.

Keene answers for his grandmother. "They will both be in grave danger. This is one battle that either, if not both, may not survive. It will be perilous and long. It will be terrifying for both of them as well as any bystanders who may choose to watch the events unfold. But for their sakes, as well as those of the villagers, this is what must happen. The events must run their course. And once they have, the world will be a safer place. Louve and Lovett have accepted their fate and that this may very well be their undoing. Unfortunately, the will of their Pack is not a factor. However, a true Pack mate would stand by their sides until the end and be the support that they need right now."

"He's right, Ryder. I want none of you in danger, but I need you right now. I'm so scared. And I'm so sorry that I hurt you back in France. I hope with all of my heart that you can forgive me and that you still love me as much as I love you."

He wraps his arms around her. "If it's what you've chosen and what you want, I won't hold you back. I love you so much, Louve. I've barely made it these past few weeks without you."

"You have a good heart, Ryder," Egeria says, gently patting his arm. "You have faced more in your young life than one should, as have all of you. And while I can promise none of you the calm lives you once knew, I may offer redemption to two of you." She focuses her gaze on the twins. "Nyx, Nox, your mother lives. She is in hiding in a secret location, much like your Pack once was. She believes that if you two survived the hunt, you would one day find her."

Nyx gasps and leans against her brother for support. Rudi rubs a comforting hand down Nox's arm. "Where is she?" he asks, grasping her hand in his own.

"In the last place you would look, but the first place you should check."

Nyx clutches her brother's arm. "Nox, could she be at Olympus?"

"The mountain of the gods?" Rudi asks. Everyone looks at her. "I was a loner in high school and studying Greek mythology was a fascinating outlet—sue me."

"No, our family, many generations ago, would hide from hunters in an old warehouse they called Olympus because it was the safest place they could find. They rigged it with traps and all kinds of things to ensure their safety. But it's been so long since it was used, it became infested with all types of critters, and we haven't needed to hide there in so long. The last people to use it were our great grandparents. Is she there?" Nox begs.

"She is. She, along with others, has sought sanctuary there, and she eagerly awaits the arrival of her children. She trusted her brother to keep you two safe."

"Nyx, we have to go to her." His eyes are wide, but she bites her lip. "I don't want to leave them either, but she's our mother." He looks at Louve and me. "I wish you both the best and thank you so much for all you have done for us. But please, try to understand—"

"I do." Louve rises and gives him a hug. I join her and wrap Nyx up as well. "She's your mother. You have to go to her. I wouldn't forgive you if you didn't seek her out because of us. I do hope you will come back to us one day though."

Tears stream down Nyx's cheeks. "I promise you, we will."

We pull away from our cousins. "We'll leave at dawn," Nox whispers. Nyx nods her agreement.

"Take some of our money to get you there," I offer.

"Thank you," Nyx says, tears still in her eyes.

"What about me?" Rudi asks in a small voice. I've never seen her so vulnerable. Tears also gleam on her eyes.

Nox looks torn as he takes her hands in his. "Please understand, she's my mother."

"I do, but you're my mate. I don't want to be separated from you."

He takes her hands in his. "Please, Rudi, don't make this harder than it is. I don't want to leave you, but I have to find her."

"Let me come with you?"

"They need you here. And once we find her, we'll come back here. I'll come back to you."

"Please, don't leave me."

He wraps her in a tight embrace, burying his face in her long blond hair.

"Nox, it's okay," Louve murmurs. "We'll be fine. Trust me, you don't want to be separated from your mate." She glances at Ryder.

He nods his appreciation, and Rudi smiles at my sister, giving her a hug. "Thank you, Louve. You're always so nice. I'm sorry I'm such a bitch sometimes, but you really make me wish I was a better person and friend sometimes. I've been so awful to you the past few months."

"You have your faults, young wolf, as we all do," Egeria says to our pack mate. "But your loyalty and recognition of those flaws are what make you worthy of your heritage. Don't mistake who you were in the past for who you are now. I wish you all the best in your journey, and you will be welcome back when you return to us." She presses a kiss to each of their foreheads and smiles at them.

"Rest grandmother. I will show them to their homes."

She sits back on the floor. "Thank you child. Your parents would be proud of you."

"I know grandmother. I will visit you tomorrow."

"I look forward to it."