‹ Prequel: Streak of Black
Sequel: Ryder Homecoming
Status: This story is told back and forth between Lovett and Ryder's points of view. The chapter bar says who's speaking at any given time. This is the last installment of this series

Aspen County

Chapter 16: Ryder

We spend the rest of the afternoon and the entire night sitting around Louve and Lovett's hut, everyone leaning against their mate, including Lovett and Keene. While I was always wary of gays as a human, I'm surprisingly very happy for my Pack mate. He found someone kind and good for him. I actually think I'm taking it better than his sister.

"Stop staring," I whisper to her late into the night. "They're gay—not lepers."

"What's a leper?"

"Never mind."

"I support my brother, it's just weird. Too bad I couldn't figure it out until she told me about it." Her voice is bitter, and I hide my discomfort at her casual mention of that thing in her head.

"Don't feel bad. I grew up around people, including gays. You grew up in a forest with your brother. It's normal that that's not the first thing to jump to mind for you." She leans into me and I kiss her head. "I've missed you."

'You too,' she says in my head. 'I'm sorry for never responding to you. We were trying to not encourage you guys. I felt really bad about it though.'

'Don't even mention it.'

'You know, she's not here right now. I know you want to talk about it.'

I breathe a sigh of relief. 'Are you ready for this? Facing her, I mean.'

'No. but I never am. At least this time I have Lovett with me.'

'I wish I could be there with you too.'

She sighs. 'I do too. But I have to face this alone. And then things will be back to normal. I'll be myself again.'

'I hope so.' This time I sigh.

Louve looks at Keene who's telling a story about a village myth that parents used to tell the kids about how on the New Moon, the trees would come to life and take children if they lied. "Come with me," she whispers, taking my hand and guiding me to her room.

She closes the door and we immediately wrap our arms around each other and press our lips against each other's. 'I've missed this,' I hear in my mind.

'Me too. You know, we could always try that thing I told you about on the plane.'

She opens an eye and glares at me. 'Not yet, Ryder. Especially not with all of these people here.'

'Worth a shot.'

'Not really.'

I laugh, deepen the kiss, and lift her slightly off the ground, carrying her to the bed and setting her down there. I lean down closer, and she immediately pulls me tighter against her, wrapping her arms around my waist and holding me firmly against her. I'm happy to feel her pressed so tightly against me again, and we leave no space between us. She pulls away briefly, and I begin trailing kisses down her neck.

"Oh, Keene," she moans.

I jump away from her. "Why did you just say your brother's mate's name?" I demand in a hushed voice.

She licks her lips, shrugs her shoulders, and grins at me. "Maybe Lovett isn't the only one he's been getting action from since we got here."

"You're not Louve."

"Took you long enough; I haven't been Louve since you sat me on the bed."

"Jeez, can't I even spend a little time with her without you interrupting. I haven't seen her in weeks."

"Oh, boo hoo. You're a horny teenager forced to deal with a couple of weeks without any action—cry me a river. These past few weeks haven't exactly been a picnic for me either. I mean, I've had to deal with her depression since she's been away from you, and that is not a healthy part of my diet." I try not to take pleasure in her being depressed at being away from me. "You want her, you gotta take me too. But I'm so much more fun. Why would you want her when you can have me? I'll even let you do that thing you keep begging for that she just continues to deny you."

"Screw you!"

"Why don't you?"

I snarl. "I hate you so much!"

She begins cackling. "Did you know that people often confuse hate with love because the part of the brain that makes you love is right next to the part that makes you hate?"

"Did you know that you're intolerably unbearable?

She gasps sarcastically. "Oh, clever. I wonder what you'll say next."

I growl at her. "God, I'll be so glad when they get rid of you."

All traces of humor drain from her face as she glares at me, her eyes wide. "What did you just say?"

My eyes widen as I realize that I just revealed the secret. I stutter. "Um..."

"Please excuse us."

"Wha—" I'm too late. Louve's eyes roll back in her head as she and that thing argue.

She returns to me after a few moments of terror, and her wide eyes reflect my fear. "Ryder, what have you done?"

"Louve, I—"

"I told you to stay away! And now—"

"I'm sorry: Louve is away from her mind right now and won't be back for a while. If you leave a message, I'll make sure she gets it by the time we're in Pennsylvania. Beep!"

With that, Louve Transforms into a werewolf and leaps out the window, shattering the glass. "Help me!" I yell as I follow her into the night. I don't wait to see if the Pack comes to my aid—I just go after the girl I love just as I have for three years.