‹ Prequel: Streak of Black
Sequel: Ryder Homecoming
Status: This story is told back and forth between Lovett and Ryder's points of view. The chapter bar says who's speaking at any given time. This is the last installment of this series

Aspen County

Chapter 17: Lovett

I know by Ryder's tone of voice when he screams that my sister is gone. All of us skid out of the house only to see Ryder chasing my sister towards the back of the village.

Not bothering to stop, I Transform and race away from the pack and past Ryder. I sprint with all my might, but Louve has a head start, and I'm soon becoming breathless. However, I fight on, refusing to allow Monique to have her.

We run through the forest, and I begin gaining on her. She seems to be aware of my close proximity and suddenly leaps towards a tall tree, Transforming midair and grasping onto the trunk. She scales it and perches on a high branch, glaring down at me with wild eyes that glow in the darkness. I Transform as well and cautiously assess the situation.

"You thought that you could get rid of me?" she hisses. "Your sister will pay for your stupidity!"

"Monique, let her go!" I call desperately. The group is getting closer, and I hold out my arms to signal for them to stop and not interrupt. Only Nox steps forward to hand me a blanket which I quickly wrap around my body. "We weren't going to actually get rid of you."

She looks away from me, and her eyes glaze over. "What were you going to do?" she pauses. "Language, little wolf. What were your plans?" she seems to look within herself again, this time for longer. Finally her furious gaze returns to me. "You really thought that you could control me? You must be mad!"

"We're not mad! It's possible!" I shout, trying to sound confident.

She throws her head back and cackles. "You are mad. I am more powerful than you and your sister combined, you unnatural little mutt! And I grow greater and stronger by the day! What chance do you have against me? What hope do you hold that you will be able to destroy—let alone control—me? You two are nothing without me. None of you are. Who do you think helped your sister all those times while you were away in Damien's little mansion."

"We can do more than you know. Now give me my sister back!"

"You want her back?" she summons a vicious sneer. "Take her!" she leaps from the branch and dives at me, wrapping her hands around my neck and banging my head against the ground. Black spots cloud my vision for a second as she begins to claw at my face and choke me.

Keene and Ryder grab her arms and yank her off of me, and I'm left gasping.

"Let me go, you useless meat sack! You too, you disgusting queer!" She spits at Keene and kicks Ryder who snarls but doesn't let go. Nyx cautiously approaches her and wraps another blanket around her.

"How did you find out in the first place?" I demand. I ponder it for a moment and glare at Ryder. I advance but ignore the urge to punch him, afraid that he'll release Louve. "You idiot!"

"I forgot for a minute! I got upset, and it kind of slipped out!"

"Get her to Egeria so that we can tie her up and I can rip your freaking throat out!"

Eyulf and I grab Louve's ankles as Monique continues to struggle. Everyone else follows us. Keene pauses momentarily.

"No, take her to the Judgment Room. Grandmother is waiting for us."

We do as he commands, walking to the far western corner of the village where Keene's grandmother stands in front of the building. She leads us inside without a word and gestures toward a bed in the center of the large room. We hold Louve down while Nyx and Zeeva awkwardly arrange the blanket so that Nox can tie her to the bed using ropes that weave through holes in the bed and allow him to secure her ankles, wrists, and torso.

I then turn on Ryder, backing him against the wall. "I want you to tell me everything." I shove him with one hand, still holding the blanket around my body with the other, and he visibly restrains himself from pushing me back. I don’t care. "Please, help me understand how you could make such a stupid mistake!"

"Like I said, she switched out on me and got to my head. I forgot for a minute that she didn't know, and I let it slip to that thing that I'll be glad when you guys get rid of that thing. It was a mistake, and I'm sorry."

"Just saying, 'that thing' happens to be a female who also just so happens to be inhabiting the body and mind of your mate, so have a little respect."

Ryder glances at Louve's body. "I'll respect you when the earth stands still. In the meantime, stay out of this." He turns back to me.

I slap him on the side of the head. "Three weeks, Ryder. You threw away three weeks of secrecy. How the hell could you forget? Egeria made it as clear to us all as possible that we couldn't even think about getting rid of the Voice. You'd think that that would stick with you, but apparently your skull is too thick to penetrate." I whack him on the other side of the head, and Keene offers me a warning glance but doesn't interfere. "Three weeks!"

Monique interrupts the argument again, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the Pack is relieved that someone stopped Ryder and me before we actually start fighting until we hear what she has to say. "You know, if I were you guys, I'd lock up the brother too."

"What?" I demand, hurrying to her side. "What are you talking about?"

"Well, it seems as though I'll be fighting you, too. We wouldn't want me getting any funny ideas and leaping into your head for a little while, especially when things are getting so interesting, what with you finding a boy-toy of your own now and all." She looks at Keene seductively, and he meets her gaze steadily, not backing down. "And so cute, too, I must add." She looks back at me, cocking her head as if thinking. "Or I could always just take over your mind and have you strut right outta this place."

"Fine." I turn to Keene. "Do you guys have any more of those bed things?"

"Yes, they're in the storage room over there." He points behind me, and I follow his finger to the room. "But, Lovett, you can't be serious, right." Even as he protests, he takes the cot from me so that I can stay covered and sets it beside my sister. "She's just messing with your head."

I lie down, wrapping the blanket tightly around my waist. "She probably is, but I won't chance it. I would feel much better if I had your support on this."

He sighs and begins strapping me in. Monique grins at me the entire time, and I have to look away, creeped out by the sadistic look in my sister's eyes. When he finishes, Keene wipes a stray lock of hair off of my forehead and gazes down fondly at me, ignoring my sister or whoever's controlling her mind right now. "Will you be okay?" he asks, gazing into my eyes.

I smile up at him. "Yeah, get some sleep." I lift my head to look at the group. "All of you. I'll be okay." Everyone nods and reluctantly turns away. Through the doorway, I see the sun beginning to rise. "Nyx, Nox!" I call, earning their attention. I smile at them. "Good luck. I really hope you guys find your mom."

"Thanks," she replies.

"Good luck to you, too," Nox adds.

"Thank you," I call back. Everyone ignores Monique as they all stream out of the room with Ryder and Keene as the last to leave.

I muse that they'll probably need a support group for werewolves with crazy mates, a thought that brings another smile to my lips. I can't believe that I finally found someone, especially someone who gets me and understands all of the crazy stuff that I'm dealing with, from Monique to the fact that I actually just asked to be strapped to a bed next to the psychopathic entity that currently occupies my sister's mind.

"And then there were two."

"Oh shut up. I'm not in the mood to deal with you so why don't you just let me get a little sleep, okay?"

"I'm happy to oblige. Goodnight, Lovett. Sweet dreams."

Shuddering slightly, I turn my neck to look away from my sister, and exhaustion soon snatches me into its clutches. I've never been one to dream much, so I'm a bit confused when I open my eyes and find myself standing in the center of a cavern with smooth walls and a scarlet archway that seems to be built into the wall. A bright light suddenly illuminates the archway and a girl who looks exactly like Louve steps through. The only difference is that she has striking black hair with a streak of bright auburn on the right side of her head exactly where Louve has the black hair on the left side of her head.

"I take it that you would be Monique?" I ask hesitantly, aware of how loudly my voice rings out in the large room.

She gasps sarcastically and raises an eyebrow. "What gave it away?"

I sigh. "Quit playing games with me." I warn, not moving from where I stand. "Where am I?"

"God, you and your sister are so predictable. And so stupid. You went to sleep. Where do you think we are?" She puts her hands on her hips and tilts them with attitude.

"I'm sorry if this isn't exactly what I imagined my mind would look like." I roll my eyes and look away from her.

"No one ever does. Although, you and your sister are the only ones who see this place when I visit you. I usually just leech off of others, never letting them know I'm there."

"That's wonderful. I'll make sure to try to forget that disturbing little bit of information. Now, how do I get out of here?"

"Oh, I'm not done with you yet," she warns, pointing a finger at me.

"Well while that may be so, I am quite done with you. So, once again, how do I get out of here? Is it that archway?"

"No, that's just how I travel and show your sister things that I want her to see or that she may ask for if I'm in a philanthropic mood."

"God, no wonder she was going mad!" I glare at her. "Who wouldn't when talking to a godforsaken Voice in their freaking head?" I sigh and turn away.

"You know, I wasn't lying earlier when I said how strong I've grown. I mean, just look at me."

I groan and roll my eyes. Finally, with nothing else to do, I turn and look at her. Except now it isn't her.

Keene stands across from me.

I back away, horrified. "What are you playing at?" I demand. "Whatever you're doing, quit it!"

"Oh, you don't wanna play the game?" She—he—she raises an eyebrow at me. "I thought that this would be a nice way of showing who the girl of your relationship will be." I ignore her, unsure of what to do. It's Louve's voice, but Monique now looks like Keene's body double. I wonder if she'd become more like me if she stayed with me long enough. "Alright." I watch as a light emanates off of her body and she morphs from my mate into my parents' killer.

My eyes widen, and I leap at her, momentarily forgetting that it's not him and that Louve killed him.

She throws me against the wall with her mind, and I stay pinned there as she morphs back into herself. "Ah ah ah, now that's not very nice, Lovett. I'm disappointed. I thought that you were the sibling with the manners."

"Release me!" I command, spitting at her. I remember that I have to conserve my energy, so I don't fight her too much.

"You vile little cur!" she screeches at me. "If you think that this is bad, you should see some of the dreams I sent your sister. She and I have had some fun, I'll tell you that much."

"Not from what I've heard."

"She's in denial." Monique releases her psychic hold on me, and I crash to the floor. "She wouldn't be able to tie her shoes anymore without me."

"If she's so reliant on you, it's only because you've tortured her to that point. Why don't you just leave the two of us alone?"

"Now why would I do that when we're all going to have so much fun in just a few days?"

I look up at her suspiciously, still not rising from where I sit on the floor. "If you're so excited, why did you make Louve run earlier?"

"Ugh! Again you're asking the wrong questions! I ran just because I was shocked and angry! I don't like being tricked, Lovett." She raises an eyebrow and crosses her arms, much like Louve does when feeling smug. "What you should be wondering is just what I plan on using against you come battle time. Much like your sister, you seem to be forgetting that I'm now at my strongest when in your heads. I don't blame you—this is the first time I've met you in here—but just keep in mind that this is my turf that you're fighting on now. You don't have a chance."

"We'll see about that," I murmur.

She tilts her head up. "Someone is waking you." She waves her hand towards her and I'm yanked forward. She kisses my cheek, and I shudder. "We really must do this more often."

"I would rather not."

She smirks, shrugs, and ends the dream.

My eyes dart open and I look up into Keene's concerned face. He's already released me from my restraints and is shaking me awake. Louve's worried face mirrors his from where she gazes at me from around him.

"Lovett, are you okay?" she asks. "She visited you, I could tell. Did you fight her?"

"No." I rub my wrists and look down at the rope burns on them and my ankles. They're on my stomach too. My body must’ve tried to follow the motions in my head like I do when Louve and I fight, but the restraints held me in place. Luckily, the rope burns are already healing. "She threw me around a bit, but she's now looking forward to the fight apparently, so it seems safe to release you...and me, for that matter."

"Well, you are kind of untied already." Louve lifts her neck to look down at her restraints. Keene blushes and turns to free her before handing both of us clothes and looking away. We quickly get dressed. "Thanks. I'll give you two some privacy." She looks back at us as she leaves. "I'm happy for you, Lovett. You deserve someone as nice as Keene."

I watch her smile and leave, no doubt to run off to Ryder, before turning back to Keene. "Hi," I say shyly, well aware of how close we now are.

"I hope you never ask me to tie you up again, at least not for that purpose." He giggles nervously. "Ryder told me that usually when people do that, it's considered 'kinky,' but I honestly don't see the appeal."

I suddenly feel slightly angry, not with Keene or even Ryder; I just get a wave of anger. "Wonderful that he's with my little sister." I shake my head, and Keene laughs, lightening the mood again.

"Your Pack seems really nice."

"Yeah, they are—most of the time. They each have their moments, but I'm one to talk. You should see me when I get really mad. I'm not one to be crossed when I'm pissed off."

He cups my cheek in his hand, and I lean into it. "I can tell. You have a strong soul, but I can see wrath within you."

"How do you and your grandmother do that? Read people the way you do. I mean, you guys can look at a person and know their whole life story."

"Well I don't know about that." He sits down on my cot, and I join him. "She's much better at it than me, but there's just something about people that I can read. I couldn't tell you how, but it just comes naturally to me, like Transforming at free will or touching steel does to you. Sometimes it feels a bit invasive, but I just can't help it."

"Okay, so read me. Tell me about my past, something that I didn't tell you guys."

He looks a bit hesitant but shrugs. "Okay." He takes my hands in one of his, touches my cheek with the other, and gazes into my eyes. He begins talking very quickly. "You've been lost since you were eight and your parents were killed. Not only did you feel responsible for your sister, but you suffered from horrible insomnia and still spend some nights tossing and turning, unable to sleep because you are always worried that hunters will be there, waiting until you're at your most vulnerable place to snatch you or Louve and kill her." He takes a breath before continuing. "You've always put up a strong façade, which is why no one ever questioned you, but even before your sister became Alpha of your Pack, you were insecure in your own ability to protect them, especially after the Pack grew larger." He gasps and looks away. "I'm sorry, I've gone too far."

"No, it's not that. It's just that I've never wanted anyone to know how truly scared I am just because I feel like if they do, I'll be ridiculed and mocked and fall lose the respect that I have within my Pack. I'm afraid of being cast away." I turn his head so that he looks at me. "Much like I'm sure that you are."

He nods. "Grandmother leaves me with great shoes to fill, and it worries me. There's never been a male Shaman before me. They even had to change the title for me. I'll also be the youngest to take over the position as it is generally the child of the previous Wise Woman, not the youngest grandchild, let alone grandson. It's intimidating."

"I get it. We both have great responsibility to our race. It is quite imposing."

"Yeah." He looks into my eyes, and I know what he wants. It's what I want. We stop talking and lean forward, allowing our lips to meet again. I turn my body to face him, and he does the same, not breaking the kiss. We wrap our arms around each other and fall back on the bed, deepening the kiss as our tongues begin to mingle. I feel the bond between us growing stronger as his feelings of bliss begin to flow into me.

I suddenly hear cackling, and my eyes shoot open. He pulls away, having been on top, and looks down at me. "What's wrong?"

"It's here," I whisper. "She's in my head right now. She's watching us."

'And enjoying the show. You really are a fast learner, huh? And much more willing to give into temptation than your sister.'

I snatch my hand away from where it had been resting on Keene's lower back, and he releases me, sitting up.

'Don't stop the show on my account. Things were just getting interesting. I may have been wrong about you.'

"What do you want?" I demand out loud, knowing that Keene won't judge.

'Want? Nothing. I just thought that you'd enjoy knowing that I may decide to stick around for a while. Sure when she's with Ryder, Louve entertains me plenty. But she's too emotional for my taste. And not the good kind. She's just too easily depressed. But you? You've got the good stuff in you, that raw anger. I like that. It sure does taste juicy. Add to that your passion for your new mate, and I’ve got myself a nice little home here.'

"Look, why don't you go pick on somebody else for a little while and leave me alone?"

'I told you Lovett: I will always be there watching. You'd better get used to it. I probably will leave eventually. I just won't tell you when. But like I said, don't stop the show on my account. I'll be here for a while.'

I sigh and look at Keene. "Come on, let's go meet up with the others. She won't be leaving me alone any time soon."

He nods solemnly, takes my hand, and walks out of the dome with me. As we walk, I'm hit with a sudden wave of pure rage, and as much as I try to suppress it, I just can't. I try to ignore Keene's knowing and concerned glance as I stare at my feet, struggling to control the anger within me.

I can feel Monique's pleasure in my head.