‹ Prequel: Streak of Black
Sequel: Ryder Homecoming
Status: This story is told back and forth between Lovett and Ryder's points of view. The chapter bar says who's speaking at any given time. This is the last installment of this series

Aspen County

Chapter 21: Lovett

Monique makes herself scarce over the next two weeks leading up the battle. Louve and I continue practicing every three nights, and Ryder, who decided that my sister's bed is an appropriate place to sleep every night, has complained on multiple occasions about her banging against him when I throw her around. On the last day of the Waning Crescent, Keene comes to the hut, a solemn look on his face.

"You have been summoned by the Council," he informs Louve and me.

We nod seriously and follow him with Ryder in tow—Keene said that he was allowed to tag along as long as he promised to not speak out of turn. Egeria and the Elders are already gathered and seated when we arrive, and Keene immediately moves to stand by his grandmother's side as Louve and I bow down. Ryder quickly follows suit.

"Rise, young ones," the Wise Woman commands softly, and we obey, moving to sit on the bench set out in front of them. "We trust that you are both well prepared for tomorrow and are confident in your abilities to face the one who calls herself Monique."

"Well, I wouldn't say that we are entirely confident," I begin awkwardly. "We have done all that we can to prepare ourselves and are ready and willing to do all that is necessary to rid ourselves of her for good."

"You agree with your brother, Louve?" Egeria asks, her eyes piercing into my sister.

"I trust Lovett. I'm nervous about tomorrow, but I don't want anyone else gto die because of me. If this is the only chance we have at getting rid of Monique then so be it." Louve looks anxious, but her voice is confident and steady. "I'll gladly lay my life down on the line."

Ryder turns to look at her in shock, and Egeria notices. "What do you have to say, young one. I sense unease within you."

Ryder, not having gotten used to Egeria like Louve and I have, cringes under her scrutiny. "Well it's just that I missed Louve so much when we were separated, and when we found each other again, I thought for sure that this would be it—we'd finally be together again with nothing else to worry about, but now she and Lovett have to face this thing, and it genuinely worries me." His voice cracks a little. "I don't want to lose her again."

Louve rubs his arm and leans against him, and if I wasn't so displeased with Ryder, I would probably pity his sorrow. As much as I hate to admit it, even to myself, he really is good to and for her, and even I can tell that he really loves her. Not that I have to actually like him.

"Ryder Adams, you have endured so much in your short life, and your dedication to Louve is admirable as I told you when first you were brought before me with your Pack. But it is as Keene has told Lovett: you can not always be there to protect her. Louve has endured many hardships in her short life, both before and after you two found each other. I can say not whether or not she and her brother will survive tomorrow or the subsequent days, but I can say that your constant support will be incentive for her to fight to the best of her abilities, if only to return to you in one piece."

He nods, not looking very reassured, and Egeria gazes at all of us sympathetically. "My children, you all, as well as Keene, will not have an easy feat the next few days. Of that, I will not lie to you. But while I would never wish a burden such as this upon anyone, especially one as young as you all are, you all are the only four that I could imagine could survive under it. Please go should you have no further inquiries, and enjoy the day together. I simply wanted to wish you all luck before tomorrow."
* * * * *
Louve and Ryder go back to my hut after we leave the Judgment Room, and Keene decides to show me his favorite creek in the forest. We sit down in the snow, watching the icy water crash over barricades created by stones.

"This place must be beautiful in the summer," I mutter.

"Even more in the fall."He glances at me with a small smile. "It's my favorite season." We gaze around quietly for a few minutes. "It's a quiet, peaceful place to just come and think."

I lean against his shoulder. "I can imagine." I tilt my head to look at him, smiling briefly and trying to keep the conversation light. "You remember when you presented Louve and I to the village and had our hands up in the air?"

"Of course." He smiles softly at me, stroking my hair. "What about it?"

"Well I have to admit that before you let go, when you squeezed our hands, it felt strange at the time but nice and reasurring."

He hand drops and takes mine, squeezing it just like he did that day. "I didn't squeeze Louve's hand, only yours," he admits, blushing slightly.

I squeeze his hand back and lean over to kiss him lightly before laying down with my head in his lap. He continues stroking my hair as we gaze out at the creek, reminded of my home in Pennsylvania. There's a calm silence between us for a few moments before I feel the need to break it. "I can't lie to you, Keene. I'm terrified about tomorrow. What if something happens to Louve and me? What if we don't wake up from this dream?"

He wraps his arms around me, and we lay down in the snow. "You don't think I've considered that, Lovett? Of course the thought has crossed my mind, and it terrifies me, but we must be strong, for you will need strength in order to face her, and I need to be strong so that you may draw that strength from me."

I close my eyes and snuggle closer to his side, just needing the comfort of knowing that he's there with me for now.

And it's enough.

For now.