‹ Prequel: Streak of Black
Sequel: Ryder Homecoming
Status: This story is told back and forth between Lovett and Ryder's points of view. The chapter bar says who's speaking at any given time. This is the last installment of this series

Aspen County

Chapter 22: Ryder

"I can't believe Lovett trusts me alone with you," I exclaim as I lounge on the couch and hold my arms out for Louve to come join me.

She sits on the table in front of me. "He's not that bad. You're allowed to be alone with me, just not usually here. Or where he's not within earshot." We both laugh, and I reach out to touch her cheek softly. She leans against my hand. "Ryder, I meant to tell you: I'm sorry that I lied about Robin and your mom. Monique told me to, but that's not an excuse. It was wrong. I only did it because she said that they would be released okay, but that wasn't my decision to make."

"It's alright. You had a lot on your mind, and you had the rest of the Pack to think about—you had Charlette and Gabrielle to think about. Besides, it just shows the kind of person Robin really is to turn on his own brother."

She looks down at her hands in her lap. "I know; I just feel bad about all of the lies I've told you in the past few months. That, being able to get rid of Monique, and all of the little things that I can't even remember now."

"Don't worry. It's all forgiven. That was Monique making those choices and coercing you to go along with it. I don't hold a bit of that against you. You have enough on your mind right now without having to worry about whether I'm holding grudges for the little stuff that's so easily forgiven and forgotten."

"You're the best, Ryder. I don't deserve you."

"Don't be silly," I whisper, making her loll her head to look at me inquisitively. "You're much too good and innocent for me. I just wish that I had a way to be that knight in shining armor for you like all girls grow up dreaming of. I wish I could go in there with you tomorrow. Better yet, I wish I could go in there for you. I don't want her to make you suffer any more."

"Ryder, it's like Egeria said. You and Lovett can't always protect me. Sometimes, I'll be in danger and you guys won't be able to save me. You just have to trust me to be able to save myself. I don't need some fairytale knight to come along and rescue me. Why would I when I already have you?"

I sit up and wrap my arms around her, pulling her to me. "I just love you too much to easily accept that."

"I love you too, which is why you have to do this."

I pull away and look at her. "What do you mean?"

"You have to trust that because I love you, I'll do my best to come back. Always." She wraps her arms tightly against me again.

"I just wish you never had to leave."
* * * * *
Lovett returns a few hours later, surprisingly alone, but none of us really say much to each other. The weight of tomorrow is too much for us, and there's really no words that can comfort any of us. Louve and Lovett struggle to stay awake and I struggle to not sleep in order to keep them company. They're trying to exhaust themselves so that it's a little easier to fall asleep tomorrow, but it's seemingly much easier for them than it is for me.

"Go to sleep," Louve tells me a few hours after the sky becomes an impenetrable force of darkness. "You're eyes are barely open, and you're more tired than Lovett and I are. Besides, we'll be asleep for the next three days—you won't."

After a few more hours, I finally give in, and I fall asleep at about the same time that my head hits the pillow. When I wake up, Louve is sitting next to me, watching me and stroking my hair. I can smell some type of meat being cooked, and she pulls me up, leading me out of the room. Zeeva and Eyulf are gathered with Lovett in the living room with Keene cooking in the adjacent kitchen. Everyone looks glum and sober.

When he sees me, Eyulf pulls me aside, leaving Louve to talk to Zeeva for a minute. "Don't worry about anything around here," he whispers. "Zeeva and I spoke with Egeria yesterday. You guys are going to stay by the Judgment Room to keep them safe while they're in that state, and we'll be helping her set things up around here."

"What will there be to set up?"

He shrugs. "I wish I knew. I just thought you might like to know that everything will be under control—Egeria knows what she's doing."

I nod and return to the group, wrapping an arm around Louve to keep her close to me for as long as I can
* * * * *
Keene and I escort Louve and Lovett alone, and the Judgment Room is already prepared with the cots set up in the middle of the room. Louve and Lovett lie down, and Keene and I get to work strapping them down. I momentarily ignore Lovett and Keene as I gaze adoringly down at Louve. "God I love you," I whisper. "Please come back to me from this," I beg, my voice cracking.

She stares sadly up at me. "I promise that I will do everything I can to make sure that I do."

"I just don't know what I'll do if you don't." I stroke some of her hair off of her face, revealing the scar on her cheek which I lean down and gently brush my lips across.

"Let's just not think about that now," she whispers when I pull away. "One more kiss?"

I lean down and press our lips together softly before I pull away. "I love you more than you can ever know."

"I know, Ryder. I love you too. Just make sure you're back here in three days."

"I'll be right outside when you wake up."

She nods. "Goodbye. For now."

"Good luck."

She smirks. "Who needs luck when I have you?"

"Ryder," Keene interrupts softly, "it's time to go."

I nod and follow Keene out, turning back constantly to look at Louve. When we're outside, both Keene and I stare at our mates through the little windows in the doors of the Judgment Room. Louve and Lovett grab hands, close their eyes, and summon Monique for a battle that may very well cost one, if not both of them, their lives.