‹ Prequel: Streak of Black
Sequel: Ryder Homecoming
Status: This story is told back and forth between Lovett and Ryder's points of view. The chapter bar says who's speaking at any given time. This is the last installment of this series

Aspen County

Chapter 29: Lovett

A week after the Full Moon, I've officially moved out of the hut with Louve and moved in with Keene. It might be fast paced, even for werewolves, but she and Ryder need their privacy—as Keene has endlessly points out to me when I get bitter—and being literally the only two for each other, there seemed to be no point in delaying the inevitable. Besides, I'm rarely at the hut anyway.

Despite not living under the same roof anymore for the first time in our lives, Louve and I seem to be closer than ever. After everything, we talked it out, and we seem to understand each other in a way we never have before. I no longer worry about something happening to her every second of the day, and it seems to have helped.

Ryder and I also seem to have come to an unspoken, peaceful understanding: as long as he doesn't hurt my sister in any way, I won't have to hurt him in any way that will prevent him from ever having children.

Keene and I are walking home with our arms looped together after visiting his favorite meditation spot for a picnic when I hear them. Familiar laughs echo off of the trees from a distance, and I sniff the air, a smile creeping across my features. I kiss Keene quickly and hand him the picnic blanket before running in the direction that I know I will find my cousins in, Keene laughing lightly behind me. I stop short right behind them, and they hear me, turning around to greet me with broad smiles.

"Lovett, you're alright!" Rudi exclaims, throwing her arms around me briefly. I hug her back before quickly hugging Nyx and Nox as well. I then turn to the older woman who's with them. She has light brown hair with golden highlights and flecks of grey. Like the twins, she's very attractive and shares their deep brown eyes.

"You must be Lovett," she says, smiling at me. "I've heard so much about you and your sister. I am indebted to you both, and to your Pack, for taking my children in. I'm Cyrene."

"Don't mention it," I reply shyly as I kiss her cheeks.

"Where's Louve?" Nyx asks nervously.

"Is she alright?" Nox adds.

"She's fine. She and Ryder are probably home; just let Keene catch up—I kind of left him behind when I heard you guys."

"We're so relieved she's okay—that you both are," Nox mutters as Keene catches up with me, glaring playfully.

I begin leading them towards Louve and Ryder's hut. "We all are," I respond. "Keene, this is my…aunt, Cyrene. Cyrene, this is my mate, Keene, future Shaman of Aspen County," I introduce as we walk.

"It's a pleasure," Cyrene says, bowing her head humbly at Keene.

"Please, you don't have to bow to me. I'm not Shaman yet." I wrap my arm around him and take the basket back as we approach Louve's hut.

Not bothering to knock, I open the door. She and Ryder are on the couch laughing, and they look up in annoyance at the interruption until they see who it is.

"Rudi! Nyx, Nox!" Louve shouts enthusiastically, leaping up and launching herself at our cousins. Ryder stands and hugs Rudi briefly before they trade off. Nyx and Nox introduce Cyrene, and Louve and Ryder offer for everyone to sit and make themselves comfortable. We call Zeeva and Eyulf over through the Bond, and they quickly arrive.

Small talk is made for a little while until the topic inevitably shifts to how Cyrene survived the hunters. "Well, as soon as I dropped of Nyx and Nox with my brother, I broke the Bond between us all so that in case I was killed, they wouldn't suffer. I really thought that they were going to kill me, and I accepted it. By a pure stroke of luck, I was able to make it to a crowded human plaza where I was able to lose them long enough to make it to Olympus. I was alone there for a while until a few other distant family members and old friends trickled in—it seems as though the hunters have been particularly active in the past few months.

"I had no idea whether the twins were okay or not, and it was horrible." She wraps her arms around them affectionately, and I absentmindedly lean my head against Keene's shoulder. "When they found me a couple of weeks ago with Rudi, I was beside myself with relief and joy. I'm stricken by the loss of my brother, but being back with my children has helped ease the pain, especially with the thought that my son has finally found someone who can bring out the shyness in him." She smiles at Nox's blush. "And I owe so much of this happiness to you, Louve."

Cyrene holds her hands out in front of her, and Louve shoves herself off of the floor, accepting our aunt's outstretched hands. "If you hadn't found Nox back in that horrible mansion and brought my children home with you, I have no clue what would have happened to them. I probably wouldn't ever see them again." She sighs. "I know that it's no consolation, especially seeing as we've only just met, but I have been told of all that you and your brother have both suffered, and I just want you to know that if you need anything, I will be there for you. Nyx and Nox insist on staying here with you all, and I won't lose them again after so long."

Louve smiles brightly. "Thank you so much. It means a lot for you to say that." Cyrene stands and makes her way around the table to hug Louve tightly.

We all watch, and for the first time in a long time, the future looks good for my Pack.