‹ Prequel: Streak of Black
Sequel: Ryder Homecoming
Status: This story is told back and forth between Lovett and Ryder's points of view. The chapter bar says who's speaking at any given time. This is the last installment of this series

Aspen County

Epilogue: Louve

Days after the mating ceremony, Keene comes to the hut Ryder and I share, informing us that Egeria is summoning us. Walking hand in hand, we follow him to her hut.

Inside, he leaves us by the door, telling us to wait as he disappears into the haze created by the incense his grandmother keeps around her home. The smoke seems especially thick today, and I suppress a cough. Ryder wraps his arm around my waist, and I smile lovingly up at him.

Through the smoke, a small figure approaches, and I hear Redell call out, "Auntie Louve!" The toddler launches himself into my arms, and I hold him tightly, twirling him around and kissing his forehead. He touches my cheek and grins broadly at me. "You're happy."

"I am happy," I whisper into his hair, glancing up at Ryder.

Redell looks up at him knowingly. "Hi Uncle Ryder," he says pleasantly.

"Hey Little Shaman. Still got that wolf?"

Redell nods enthusiastically, and I set him down on the ground. "Why don't you go see what's keeping your Uncle Keene, okay?"

He nods and totters away. I sigh contently as I lean against the wall and look up at my mate. "What?" I demand playfully, noticing the sly grin on his face.

"Nothing, I just realized what a wonderful mother you'll be one day."

I giggle evasively. "Let's not get ahead of ourselves now. I'm barely eighteen; we still have plenty of time for that later."

He wraps both of his arms around me, pulling me closer, and kisses my forehead. "I know. Come on, when have I ever pressured you, Little Wolf?" He winks mischievously and presses me against the wall, beginning to twirl the black lock around his finger.

Hearing him using my old nickname in such a seductive tone, I almost reach up on my toes and give him what he wants, but the sound of Keene's sudden approach breaks us out of our reverie.

"The big Shaman," he mutters.

I reluctantly push Ryder away. "We'll finish this later," I growl sensuously.

He winks, and we turn back to our future Shaman. His normally calm and collected facial features are now solemn and grim, and I recall seeing Egeria looking a little pale during our past few talks and at my Mating Ceremony to Ryder. I just now realize how exhausted Keene looks.

Growing increasingly concerned for our Wise Woman's well-being, Ryder takes my hand, and we follow Keene through the over-powering haze to the back where Egeria's room is. The Wise Woman looks deathly ill, and I stumble at how quickly her health is declining. Ryder squeezes my hand comfortingly, understanding that my hesitation comes from my fear that I may be responsible for this. I squeeze back without conviction and allow him to gently lead me into the room.

"Good afternoon," she greets, her voice wavering. "Keene, why don't you take Redell with you and continue packing with Lovett?"

"Let's not be too hasty, Grandmother; it's not yet my turn to live here," he argues, shocking me—Keene never talks back to Egeria. When she gives him a knowing glance, he nods respectively, looking reluctant to leave her, and approaches the bed. Redell, who had been lying on the bed with his head resting on Egeria's stomach, sits up and allows Keene to pick him up. Neither look pleased about leaving, but even Redell knows that his great grandmother is not to be questioned.

Once the pair disappears into the smoky haze, the elderly woman turns her warm gaze back to us. "My dear children, do not be sad," she says gently, noticing our faces. We kneel by her bedside. She reaches out and cups my cheek in her hand. "Death is a natural thing; Louve, do not fear for me. I promise you that this one is not your fault."

"But—"

She cuts me off by pressing her forefinger to my lips before retracting her hand to rest on her stomach. "My death will not be your fault," she repeats. "I am old; that is all. The Wise Women have come and gone for centuries, and the Shamans will continue to live and pass for centuries after I do. It is the way of the world—that is all."

"But what's going to happen to everyone—Keene, Redell, the village?"

"Keene has spent 21 years preparing for this moment. Now is his time to prove himself. With Lovett at his side, he will be more than capable of not only moving on past my death, but also of proving himself when the time is right. I have complete faith in him. And Redell will have his uncles, and he will have you two to watch over him and protect him and raise him to take Keene’s place one day. I have faith in you all."

I nod solemnly. "So, I guess we should leave you now to get some rest."

Egeria turns a sad gaze on us, and my heart plummets into my stomach—it's not often that she displays pity and grief for others to see. "Not quite yet. I called you both here because I have something to tell you. Unfortunately, it is not pleasant news. I haven't told Keene this as it is not my secret to tell. You may choose to do with this information what you please. It is just one final Prophecy delivered unto me by the Wise Women of the past."

"What is it?" Ryder asks slowly, squeezing my hands in his to keep me calm and remind me that he's still there for me.

Egeria takes a deep breath and grips my wrist tightly, her eyes glazing over. "The battle to free yourself of Death's grip has forced you to sacrifice an innocent life: that of your unborn child. He, too, would have endured that which slavery to Death has forced upon you. In the coming years, Death will make two demands more of you. In order to prevent this price from being met, you will be blessed with two children more, each with an ability that will aid them in this battle. One shall have the power to touch that which will kill you, and the other will have the power to Transform at a time when it is needed of her the most. But should Death be evaded by even one of your children, He will haunt you through use of that which you sacrificed your son to be rid of."

"No," I whisper almost soundlessly. Ryder's horror spills into my mind through the Bond. I take a deep breath, but all it does is force more smoke down my throat. "Please, no," I repeat, this time a little louder as I struggle not to choke. "Please tell me that that's not true, that it doesn't mean what I think it does. Please!" Tears stream down my cheeks, and Ryder wraps his arms tightly around me, pressing my cheek against his chest.

"Louve, it'll be okay," he tries reassuring me unconvincingly. His voice is trembling almost as much as mine is.

I look at Egeria. "How long will I have with any other child I may have?" I demand. "A day, a month? How long?"

She shakes her head, her sad eyes meeting mine steadily. "I cannot honestly tell you, my child. Just take this to heart, raise your children to fight for themselves, and pray that they are as strong, resilient, resourceful, and stubborn as both their mother and their father. You must treasure every moment you have with them, my children. That is all I can say to you."

I nod numbly, shake Ryder off, and stumble out of Egeria's hut.

As I do, I can almost swear that I hear Monique cackling somewhere deep in my mind.