‹ Prequel: Streak of Black
Sequel: Ryder Homecoming
Status: This story is told back and forth between Lovett and Ryder's points of view. The chapter bar says who's speaking at any given time. This is the last installment of this series

Aspen County

Chapter 8: Ryder

Three days after my arrest, Officer Redrane makes an appearance, his black shoes dramatically clicking along down the hall. I lazily open my eyes, glance over at him, and allow them to float shut again.

"Officer Redrane—what a surprise. To what do I owe this pleasure?" I consider for a moment before adding, "I feel so rude—I've only just realized that you know my name but I don't know yours. What do you say we have a little guessing game to pass the time?"

"Alright, kid, drop the sarcasm."

"Hm, turns out I'm not the only one who needs to learn other people's names."

"Can it, kid," he commands, his voice becoming increasingly irritated. "The chief told me to allow you to make that call to your brother."

"So how's this going to work?" I inquire, finally opening my eyes to look at him. "Hard as it may be to believe—what with my sunny disposition and all—I always used to be on the cops' bad sides."

"Well the chief is making a special acceptation for you because of…the circumstances of your arrest."

"You mean you all trying to poison me with those handcuffs of yours?"

He reluctantly nods and digs his cell phone out of his pocket to hand it to me. "You get five minutes."

Cocking my eyebrow in shock that they're actually allowing me to call Robin, I swing my legs off of the bed and approach him. Hesitantly, I reach out and take the phone from him. He sits in a chair across from my cell and watches me as I sit on the bed and open the old LG flip phone. Taking a deep breath, I dial my old house number and put the phone to my ear, my hands shaking slightly.

I cringe when I hear my mother answer. "Hello?" she demands impatiently in her croaky voice.

I deepen my own voice beyond recognition. "Hello, Ms. Crenshaw. Is Robin there? I'm an old friend from Penn State." I glance up at Officer Redrane who offers me an inquisitive look. I assume he knows my mother's name and my brother's name, but he doesn't understand why I would pretend I'm someone I’m not.

I ignore him as my mother sighs with annoyance on the other line. "Robin," she calls, pulling the phone away from her mouth. I breathe a sigh of relief that she believed me, continuing to disregard Officer Redrane's befuddled expression.

"Hello, this is Robin," he says in his polite Boy Scout voice. "May I ask who's calling?"

"Robin, it's Ryder. Don't tell mom!"

"Who is it?" my mother demands. I flinch again, afraid that my brother will give me away.

"No one; don't worry about it." Robin's tone with my mother is harsh and hostile, and the thought that I might have finally managed to turn him against her makes my lips quirk with satisfaction. I hear footsteps on the other line. "Ryder, what the hell? Where are you? What area code are you calling from?" The questions all come quickly, his voice low and angry.

"Robin, what's going on? I thought you understood what had happened between mom and me and that things between us were alright again."

"I thought so too until mom and I were kidnapped and held hostage in some mansion for two weeks while they asked about you and your 'Pack.' What were they talking about?"

"What?" I can't believe it—Louve lied to me. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, we're fine, but you won't be if you don't start giving me some god damn answers!"

"Robin, I'm sorry. My friends and I were being hunted by this big organization of people. They must've followed Louve and I to the house that night when I went to explain everything—they only wanted us, mainly her. Look, it's a long story, but it's all over now, and I'm sorry. I never meant for anything to happen to you. But I do need your help."

"Oh that's rich! What do you want now? There's always something with you, Ryder. You can never solve your problems without dragging everyone else into your big pile of bullshit."

"Robin, listen to me. I let my temper get out of hand again—it was really bad this time. I lost touch with Louve, and I was arrested for assault when trying to follow a lead to find her again."

"Why am I not surprised that you were arrested?"

"Yeah, yeah; I know. I was arrested in Michigan, but they're sending me back to Pennsylvania to deal with missed bail and probation meetings. You can stay mad at me for as long as you want—it was stupid to visit you back there, and it was my fault that you guys were taken. I was angry that you wouldn't listen to me, and I was hurt—I wasn't thinking straight. But I need you to do one more thing for me. I'm begging you as your brother, please."

"What?" His voice is venomous.

"This charge was one too many—I really let myself get out of hand. The bottom line is: I'm not just getting off with a little time on parole and a slap on the wrist for this one. All that I need from you is to promise me that when I get back, no matter what happens, you will keep mom away." I take a deep breath to stay calm. "You know that all she'll do is make things that much worse for me."

He sighs, no doubt knowing I'm right. "Fine. But that is as much as I'll do for you. And whenever you finally get out, stay away from me, Ryder," he warns, his tone more serious and strict than I've ever heard him. Before I can thank him for his help, the line goes dead.

I sigh and close the phone, holding it out to Officer Redrane. He gets up, takes it, and watches me carefully with an analytical glint in his eyes. "What's happened to you since you disappeared, kid?" he asks warily.

I don't bother answering, hoping he'll eventually take the hint. I just lie back on the bed, my eyes closed. He finally gives up and walks away after a few minutes, knowing I won't budge. I feel dejected. My mate is gone, I left my Pack, and my brother—the only blood family I have left who actually gave a damn—has completely given up in me.

'I just got off the phone with Robin,' I tell Louve, feeling hurt and angry. 'He wants nothing to do with me. As it turns out, Damien's men kidnapped him and my mother. You know that I don't care about her, but I do care about Robin, and you can guarantee that I definitely give a damn about what happens to him. But now, he wants nothing to do with me. Louve, I know that you knew that they were taken. I'm not happy about this, and I know you're not going to try to explain yourself right now, but it's okay. I'm still going to find you, and when I do, we will talk about this. I still love you—I always will.'
* * * * *
Officer Delmas struts by my cell a few days after I call Robin, about a week after my arrest. I glance at him and roll my eyes, annoyed by the satisfied and cocky expression on his face. "Please, do you mind?" I ask sarcastically. "You're blocking the view." I lethargically point to the wall behind him where there's a poster of a waterfall.

"Yes, I'm sure that you just love passing the time by staring at the 'let crime wash away' poster on the wall behind me, but I've got some good news for you! Well, not so good for you as it is amusing for me—you're going home tomorrow!"

I sit up straight, glaring at him. "Are you shitting me?"

"Hey, watch your mouth; I don't want to hear that shit out of you!"

"Shut up; I'm not going home, Officer Dumb-Ass!"

"Oh yes you are, smart ass. I made sure that your papers were rushed. And guess who gets to escort you." He mutters that last sentence in a sing-songy voice, and I glare harshly

"You do realize that I'll just make that entire trip hell for you, right?"

"I'd like to see you try. Just keep in mind that I know about your little allergy." He strolls away from the cell, whistling pleasantly and messing with the handcuffs on his belt as I glare daggers into his back. Surely he doesn't expect me to go home. He can't—I can't. And the handcuff thing is just low.

I mull over my situation in my head for several hours until I finally come to my decision. Swallowing my pride and hurt and anger, I do the one thing I swore I wouldn't.

'Guys,' I call to Zeeva and the rest of the Pack that I left behind as I lower the walls that separates their emotions from me and mine from them. 'I need help.'

'Ryder, where are you?' Zeeva asks immediately, her voice in my head sharing all of the concern I know that she feels.

'I was arrested the day after I left you guys because I got out of control. You guys were right, and I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done or said what I did—I was being stupid, and I was wrong. But I need your help.'

'Just tell us what’s happening,' I hear Eyulf’s voice tell me calmly.

'They want to send me home. I have a lead that might get us to Louve and Lovett, but they're taking my back to Pennsylvania for some old charges tomorrow. It's not fair to ask of you guys after everything that I said, but please. I'll do anything you tell me to. Just get me out of here. I can't go back there. I can't even begin to imagine what my mother will try doing to me, and I have to find Louve. I can't leave her behind.'

The others leave me alone for a few minutes, and I begin to think that they gave up on me. I finally hear Zeeva’s serene voice in my head again. 'Find out the exact plan for tomorrow,' she commands gently. 'Let us know what they say. We have a plan.'

'Thank you.'

'Ryder, you're family,' she tells me simply. 'We'll never leave you behind.'
* * * * *
Officer Redrane comes around a few hours after I talk to Zeeva with my dinner. "How you doing, kid?" he asks, concern filling his features.

"I'm alright, I guess," I mutter, not making eye contact and trying to draw some sympathy with the repentant teenager act. "Not looking forward to seeing everybody again—they all kind of hated me back there, including my own family. But you probably got that vibe yestertay." I sigh and shrug, really pushing the limits. "I guess I'll live though."

"Look, I wish there was something I could do to help you, but you dug this grave, and now you have to lie in it."

"Yeah, I know." I sigh and look down at the ground. "I was just wondering if you could maybe tell me a little bit of what’s going to happen tomorrow. I've never actually been transferred to another prison."

"Yeah, sure." I knew that taking Drama as a bullshit class for two years would pay off. "Officer Delmas and two of the others will be driving you to the airport. You'll take the flight to Pennsylvania from there, with Delmas acting as your chaperone, of course, and there'll be officers waiting to take you from there. It should be fairly simple."

I nod my head obligingly, trying to look as downheartened as Eeyore. "Alright, I just wanted to have a general idea of what's going down."

Officer Redrane nods with understanding. "Look, Ryder, I know that you were doing all of this for a girl that you lost, and no one wants to go to jail, but you'll be able to restart your life after this. Get a job, find this girl or another. Start over again—you're still young. Just think it all over for a while, and you'll see my point of view."

I nod, and he walks away. 'I just talked to one of the officers,' I report to the others as I take a bite of my dinner—a cold sandwich. 'They'll be transporting me by plane tomorrow. I'll probably be loaded into a van from here and taken to the airport.'

'Sounds good,' Zeeva responds after several minutes. 'We'll help you out of this Ryder, and then we'll find Louve and Lovett. I promise you that.'

'See you guys tomorrow.'

'We'll see you then, Ryder. Don't worry; we'll get you out of there.'
* * * * *
In the morning, Officer Delmas and two other cops that I haven't met walk to my cell, Delmas sporting that sanctimonious grin that makes me want to punch him. He's holding a set of tri-fold restraints, and I sigh, realizing that I'm going to be tied up for the trip to the airport. I just hope that my friends find a way to get me before we get there.

The preparations are made, and I'm escorted out of the precinct 'quietly.' I look around nonchalantly, trying not to draw attention as I search for any sign of my Pack. Sure enough, across the street, I see a grey van with tinted windows, the engine off. I squint, and in the driver seat, I see a familiar blue-eyed blonde. Seeming to sense that I can see her, Rudi looks at me and winks. Just past her in the passenger seat, I can see Nox smiling at me.

I try to avoid smiling with relief as I'm shoved into the back of the police transportation van with the two officers that I don't know, leaving Delmas to drive. We take off down the street, and after a minute or so, I can distantly hear another engine roar to life as Rudi begins to pursue us. I try to keep my breath steady as I wait for my friends.

'Do you guys need me to do anything?' I ask as the pursuit continues to the officers' ignorance.

'Just be ready to jump,' Zeeva commands.

My body tenses, and I can suddenly hear Rudi getting closer. I can hear Delmas curse under his breath from the front, realizing that we're being pursued. He turns on the siren as his driving becomes erratic. Other cars honk as we race past with my Pack right on Delmas's tail. "Whatf the fuck did you do?" he roars from the front as the car jerks.

After a few more minutes of the reckless driving, something—or rather someone—smashes into the back door of the van. One of the doors opens, and Nox makes an appearance, clutching the closed door to remain balanced and gasping with exhilaration. One of the officers holds me down while the other stands, aiming his gun at my friend.

"Ryder, we've got to go—come on!"

I nod and kick the cop that had been holding me in the back of his knee, and he cries out in pain as I hear something in his leg snap. The other one begins waving his gun back and forth between Nox and me, not knowing who to shoot.

"What's going on back there?" Delmas demands, trying to keep control of the van while trying to lose Rudi at the same time.

We ignore him as Nox grabs the cop's arm, yanks it towards him—dislocating the man's shoulder—and thrusts the man against the divider separating the cab from the cargo section. Delmas then makes the stupid decision of stopping the van. Rudi, from her van, does the same thing. Nox grabs my arm, and we hurry outside.

Nyx opens the back section of the van and waves us inside. We throw ourselves in, and Rudi floors it before we even close the sliding door. Delmas yells at us and tries to chase us down on foot, even drawing his gun and trying to shoot our tires out, but Rudi sharply turns a corner and leaves him in the dust to check on his fallen colleagues.

For a few minutes, I just lean my head back against the door of the van, breathing deep sighs of relief. After a little while, Rudi pulls over and climbs over the console into the backseat. Finally I look up and meet the concerned eyes of my friends.

"You guys just did something illegal," I comment, shocked that they actually got me out of police custody at a risk to themselves. That's the only thought that manages to flow through my head. "You guys are amazing. Nox, you're, like, a badass."

Rudi pulls a knife out of her pocket and begins sawing through the double cuffs. "You're forgetting that most of, if not all of, us have killed before, whether it was hunter, family, or someone we just didn't like," she replies, shrugging. "Granted, most of, if not all of, that was justified, but it was a crime nevertheless."

"Are you okay?" Zeeva asks, holding my arm gently and ignoring Rudi. Despite the lack of animosity between them after everything was settled down with their romantic awkwardness, Zeeva's always been a little less tolerant of Rudi's sarcasm than the rest of us.

I nod, and then I begin to allow my brain to process what a wonderful thing that my friends just did for me and how lucky to have them all I truly am. And then I begin to cry.

I don't know why I'm crying. I don't know if it's from my anger at the fact that my family has finally officially and 100 percent shunned me or frustration that I've been separated from Louve with no way to get to her or just that I don't feel like I deserve the love of such a wonderful group of friends. It could be a combination of all three, but I'm crying. No one says anything or judges me for being weak. Zeeva just wraps her arms around me and holds me tightly as the tears flow down my face, and when my arms are freed, I return the hug, needing to be comforted and just wishing that it were Louve here to hug me.

When I finally manage to swallow my emotions and calm down, Zeeva meets my gaze steadily. "What do you say we go find Louve?" she asks gently, a smile on her face.

I nod, and Rudi climbs back over the console and begins to drive away.

'The others got me,' I report to Louve. 'I'll see you soon. I love you so much.'