‹ Prequel: Inner Demons

Hit and Run

Chapter 10

okay, so... this is where the stroy starts getting interesting, i promise. I combined movies like Amityville Horror, and this kick ass show that used to scare me shitless called "A Haunting in Conneticut".
so here it is... again... Hit and Run


***************************************************************************

A month had passed since the tumultuous night in the corridors of the hospital. Nadine now found herself staring mindlessly out the car window, watching in a solemn daze as trees and houses whizzed passed, all melting in a numbing blur that screamed the fact she was moving further and further away from the loud, chaotic life she was so used to living. Delia shifted in the seat next her, her head sliding down the window and falling onto her shoulder, bolting her awake from a deep slumber she'd been in for 2 solid hours now. Nadine sighed softly, kicking Delia's foot away from her own as she stretched her legs out in front of her.

"Stop kicking my seat..." Gerard whined, pulling his hood over his head and trying to fall back to sleep.

She scowled and drew her foot back, curling it behind the other one. Oregon was extremely drab, the sky was a constant grey and the ground was yellow and lifeless. Every house, every city, every person looked exactly the same. The same depressive, morbid look plastered on their facades; a dying aura surrounding their dilapidated outsides. Rain began to pelt the windows, blurring the world even more. Nadine let a sad breath from her lungs, turning towards her brother, "Are we getting close?" she questioned quietly, her voice laced with desperation.

"Not much longer now," He sighed, glancing from the road for a spilt second, "Our exit will be coming up in just a few miles."

They bought a large Victorian just outside Madras, trying to keep themselves as far away from the city as possible. They got the house cheap after a series of "events" during the house auction, and also due to the fact it was in slight disrepair. The car rumbled down the road, the tires bumping along as pavement blended with gravel. Soon, just beyond a line of trees, they saw the huge steel exterior of the house. Frank jabbed Gerard with his finger, laughing softly as he snorted awake, "Huh? Who's there?" he cried out, his words slurred from rest.

'We're home, Geetard." Nadine giggled, running her fingers through his soft hair.

He yawned and rubbed his eyes, "I can't believe we're actually doing this..."

Nadine smiled gently, "The fresh air will be good for us."

Gerard coughed softly, laying his forehead against the window, "I dunno... I just have a really bad feeling about this... like Paramour Part 2 or something..."

Frank laughed, pulling onto a dirt road, "You're so fucking over dramatic Gee... "

He huffed, building a layer of steamy onto the window, "I'm serious!"

Delia groaned softly, "Gee, shut up or I'll be forced to castrate you."

Frank threw his head back in laughter, "Yeah, and I'll be sure the scissors are extra..."

Suddenly a large, white form bolted in front of the car, causing Frank to slam on the brakes and send the car sliding through the mud. Gerard was thrown back into the glove box, banging his head on the dashboard before being slammed backwards by the airbag. Cali, who'd been curled up on Delia's lap, screeched and vaulted herself into the front seat, mewing loudly in protest. The car rumbled to a stop, Frank's breathing harsh, "Y-you guys okay?"

The car was silent for a few moments, before Gerard shrieked, "What the FUCK was that thing?!"

Frank turned his head, looking out the fogged window as a squat, white blob stumbled through the forest, dragging it's long, knobby arms behind it. He blinked, trying to focus his eyes, still concentrating on the white thing as it slowly made it's way through the dense forest. Gerard coughed loudly, rubbing the side of his face, "Can we just get to the house and pretend this didn't happened?"

Frank nodded weakly, turning around, "You girls okay?"

Nadine nodded gently, pulling her matted hair from her pallid face. Delia, however, was cursing loudly and cradling her thigh, "CALI YOU FUCKING FURBALL!" she screamed, wiping down her bloody jeans.

Cali cried pathetically from the front seat, cowering into Gerard's chest. Frank drove to the house quietly, keeping his eyes wide and utterly focused on the road. Once he pulled into the gravel driveway, they all breathed a collective sigh of relief. As soon as the car was in park, Gerard jumped out, "I call the basement room!" he shouted, fumbling with the key in his pocket and racing towards the door.

Delia huffed loudly, "You bastard! You said I could have it!"

He turned and smiled, his hazel eyes bright and glittering with life. Frank started cutting strings and tossing suitcases at them, "Someone needs to wait outside and look for the movers."

Nadine raised her hand sheepishly, "I'll do it."

Frank smiled, pulling his own suitcase down, "We'll be inside if you need anything."

She nodded and walked around to the other side of the porch, kicking aside small rocks and twigs as she did so. Delia followed her for a few moments, extending her legs in a drunken ballet, trying her best not to trip over the cat that was snaking it's way through her legs. "Deeny... I'm gonna go help Gee and Frank now..." she called, keeping her eyes to the ground.

Nadine made a small noise and disappeared behind the house, still exploring. Delia made her way back to the entrance, where Frank and Gerard were pulling random boxes from the back of the car, "Care to help?" Frank asked softly, looking up from behind the trunk hood.

Delia shook her head, "I will in a minute... lemme take my stuff inside."

He nodded at her and watched from the corner of his eye as she dragged down her bulky duffel bag and carried it upstairs. The house was old, very old. Most of the wood and brick interior was dark and musty. the stairs gave ominous moans and creaks as Delia made her way upstairs, making a mental note of everything around her. The top hallway was very long, dotted with several doors and large, vacant walls. She opened several doors leading to closets and bathrooms, before finally finding a bedroom. It wasn't much bigger than the one she had in New Jersey, but it had a huge window that overlooked the entire front yard and most of the adjacent forest. She smiled softly and set her bag onto the floor, stepping towards the window. She stared out onto the property, her gaze slowly fixating onto the forest. The sun was setting just behind it, turning the trees blood red and the leaves a brilliant gold. There were strange objects moving among the trees, like deformed humanoids with sickly white bodies. Delia made a disgusted face and backed away, trying to convince herself she was seeing things. She shook her head again, glancing out the window as one of the creatures moved about on the lawn, "I'm just seeing things..." she muttered to herself.

"Del... who are you talking to?"

She jumped up at the sudden voice and gripped her shoulders, letting out a frightened yelp. She then felt a hand touch her hair, "Delia... what's wrong?"

She turned to see Gerard, worry etched into his delicate features. She pointed towards the huge window, "There's something in the woods! I swear, I can see them!"

She kept pointing frantically, jabbing the air with her finger. Gerard pulled a strange scowl and moved towards the window, "Where?"

"By the forest... it's like, little white people-things."

Gerard narrowed his gaze, scanning the forest floor. "Del... I don't see anything..."

She huffed in exasperation, "I know I saw something!"

"Maybe you just..."

"I saw something out there, Gerard," she interjected, sounding crisp, "If you don't believe, fine."

He turned to her, "I didn't say I didn't believe you... I just didn't see anything." he explained, brushing a wisp of hair from his eyes.

She mumbled softly, looking back outside the window. The forest was bare, darkness now settling above it. Gerard shifted, the floorboards groaning loudly under the sudden weight, "Ummm, anyways... I came up here to ask you if you were hungry..." Gerard explained.

Delia blinked, "Yeah, a little."

He furrowed his brow, yawning a bit, "Anything in particular you'd like?"

She shook her head, turning fully to see him. He looked rather awkward bathed in the late dusk light, his high cheekbones and pointed nose giving his an elfin appearance. He blinked, his eyes dark and sparkling, "You okay, Del?"

She smiled, "Yeah, I'm just fucking starving... can we eat now?"

He laughed, his perfect titter dripping past his lips like warm honey, "Yeah sure..."

She left the room, tugging at her hair as she left. Gerard looked around the room, his eyes flicking from wall to ceiling. He turned his head to his shoulder, staring out the window. His body began shaking and a frightened whimpered burst from his throat as he saw a white creature, it's mouth open and it's clawed, bony hands plastered against the window. It screeched, opening it's sick mouth to reveal row after row of treacherous looking canines. Gerard whimpered again, forcing his knees to unlock and go towards the door. But they froze and buckled beneath him, sending him toppling to the floor. The creature ran a single finger down the glass, it's dead, black nail grinding along and producing a horrid whine. Gerard screamed in a blind panic, throwing his body out the door and into the hallway. "Gerard... what the hell man?"

Frank was standing there, looking bewildered and munching on a slice of pizza, "Look, when you're done playing gymnastics, dinner's here." he snorted, making his way towards the stairs.

Gerard blinked, trying to control his breathing, "Frank... that thing was at the fucking window. The white thing that jumped in front of the car." he explained radically, gasping for breath between words.

Frank's feature fell and he raced towards the window.

"oh, Jesus fucking Christ..." he moaned, watching in a disgusted horror as the imp made it's way back towards the forest edge.

"Frank... what have we gotten ourselves into?" Gerard gasped, trying to keep down bile as he wrenched his eyes away from the window.

"I don't know Gee... but I think we won't be moving in without a fight..."