‹ Prequel: Inner Demons

Hit and Run

chapter 6

Gerard sat upright in the bed, staring at the eerily placid walls. Delia was still unconscious next to him, her face paled and tear streaked. He pulled his legs towards his chest, folding them neatly and setting his hands in his lap. He looked down at himself, they had taken his clothes while he slept, replacing them with a drab gown that clung to his form. Delia had one on as well, though, it was a soft shade of pink instead of white. He blinked softly, trying to process all that what going on in his head. He glanced at the door, half expecting everyone to burst through and assuring him it was only a joke. He looked back over at Delia, sighing quietly. She was curled up in the same position from when Gerard was holding her, and nothing had changed. Unmoving, quiet, lifeless. He breathed out quietly, a soft misty, cloud rising in front of his face. Suddenly, the room became cold, impossibly cold. Frost crept along the thin metal rails of the gurney, and Gerard clasped his arms around his chest. The room became colder and darker, the frost starting to cake around the window. he rubbed his pallid arms. "N-n-n-nurse?" he called, the shivers starting to impair his speech.

The nurse from before bustled in, a smile on her face, "Is something wrong Mr. Way?"

He blinked, staring at her. The air around her was warm and loving, like some sort of aura. Gerard nodded, "I'm so c-cold."

Her smiled remained, "That's because your dead Mr. Way."

His breath seized, "Dead?"

She came over, her smile sending a soft glow onto the sheets, "Yes, dear... now lets look at your burns."

He shook his head, "Burns? I don't have any burns... I broke my wrist."

He held his arm out for her, but she pushed it down, "Now now, Mr. Way. Lets not play around."

She rolled him onto his side, her soft fingers running along his spine, "Yes... it's doing quite nicely."

He craned his neck back, "Umm, I forgot.. how did I get this again?"

"A beam fell on you."

"Oh."

The nurse moved to the other side of the bed, "You look fine."

He smiled inwardly, "Good."

She sat next to him, "Would you like a mirror, you're hair is a mess."

He gulped softly, "Yes... please."

She turned, reaching into a small dresser-like piece of furniture, "Here you are Mr. Way."

She passed over a small hand mirror embedded in hot pink plastic. Gerard smiled and brought it up to his face, before screaming and dropping it to the ground with a snap. He wasn't himself... he was Mikey.
**************
Gerard snapped awake, shaking the entire bed as his body jolted upwards. It had been a painful four months since Mikey's death, and nightmares still haunted Gerard's sleep. Nadine groaned softly, opening her eyes, "Gee?"

He didn't answer her, the ebb and flow of fear crashing through his body. "Gerard? Sweetie?"

He felt a cool hand snake along his face and neck, finally resting on his forehead. Nadine's soothing voice striked up again, "Go back to sleep, hun. you're fever still hasn't broken."

He looked at her, green eyes hazy with illness, "I had another one."

She sighed, dropping her hand from his face, "Did you see him die?"

His face screwed up slightly, "No... I was him and Delia was with me... we identified Bob's body."

Nadine sighed, wrapping her arms around him, "It's okay baby... they'll pass soon."

He sniffed, looking at her and smiling, "You're so pretty in the dark."

Nadine cracked a grin, "You think so?"

Gerard nodded, "I know so."

Nadine flushed softly, before turning and looking at the digital clock, "6:15? God, why am I up?"

Gerard smiled, before coughing roughly and laying back down in the bed, "Ugh..."

Nadine looked down at him, "Feel sick?"

Gerard nodded, an aching, fuzzy feeling starting to wash over his body. Nadine crawled out of bed, wrapping a quilt over her nude body, "I'll be right back, Gee."

She crept out of the room, her feet padding along the hardwood floors. Gerard craned his head backwards, trying to recapture bits of his dream, trying to make some connection to his real life. Nadine came back in, carrying a glass of water, "Here... we;re out of juice."

Gerard shrugged, taking the glass and drinking greedily. He cuddled against her, nuzzling her bare breasts. Nadine smiled, kissing his long hair, "It's gonna get better Gee... we'll have our new house soon."

He looked up, "Yeah.. we will."

They leaned in to kiss, when a sharp scream from Delia thundered through the house. There was a series of crashes, followed by another scream, before Delia streaked into their bedroom, her body concealed only by a threadbare robe. Gerard lifted an eyebrow, while Nadine worked hastily to covered her nude body. Delia broke into a fit of hysterical crying, "Th-there's a man-eating sp-spider in the t-tub!!" she wailed.

Gerard coughed quietly, "A spider?"

"YES," Delia exclaimed, looking rather frantic, "It's huuuuuuuuge!"

Gerard rolled his eyes, "Just turn on the water"

"I tried that... it started spazzing out and tried to eat me." Delia whispered, lowering her head.

He heaved a sigh and pulled himself out of bed, "Can't Frank kill it?" he asked, rubbing his tired face.

"No, he'll die." Nadine half-giggled.

Delia began to bounce on her heels, "Gee, hurry! I have to get to work and that spider could've escaped!"

"Okay, okay..." he grumbled, walking towards the bathroom.

He flipped on the light and looked down into the tub. A larger-than-average garden spider was scuttling about, looking dazed. He scooped it onto his hand, watching as it roamed about on his skin. Delia gagged, "How can you let that thing touch you?"

"Some vegetarian you are..." he shot back.

"I only like animals with 4 legs or less." she replied, sticking out her tongue.

Gerard rolled his olive eyes, "Awww... but Fernado here loves you." he chuckled, bringing his hand close to Delia's face.

She let out another ear-splitting scream and ran out of the bathroom. He laughed to himself and walked outside, setting his hand down in the grass. The spider hurried away, off into one of the hydrena bushes Nadine had planted. Gerard stood up, watching as the heavy, red sun snuck over the horizon. Soon, he felt someone at his side, and saw Nadine standing there, her hair pulled back and a robe adorning her body, "Come inside." she coaxed.

"In a minute... I need a cigarette." he begged.

Nadine put her hands on her hips, "I really wish you would stop smoking."

"Yeah well, I can't." he argued, sounding defensive.

Nadine backed off, going back inside. He dug around the pockets of his sweatpants, pulling out his cracked lighter and a half-finished pack. He fished one out and lit it up, drawing the smoke into his airway. He held it for a moment, watching as a pair of robins twittered overhead. He blew the smoke from his nose, plopping down into the grass. He looked around, his eyes landing on the For Sale sign hanging precariously on their lawn. Bob had bought the house a while back, so he and Delia would have a home after their parents death. Slowly, members from countless bands moved in and out, each leaving behind a little something so he could remember them. Then Gerard moved in, re-kindling a friendship he and Bob had when they were teenagers. Soon after wards, frank and his 12-year-old sister moved in, both trying to escape from an ugly divorce that had descended over their house. "What I'd give to go back," Gerard sighed to himself.

He heard the faint rumble of an engine, and watched as Delia took her beaten down, orange Subaru to her waitressing job. He sighed again, taking one last hit from his cigarette before going back inside. Nadine was curled up on the couch in a peaceful slumber, while Frank was busy toying with their newest coffee machine. "Ray just called." he announced rather suddenly.

Gerard perked up, "he did?"

"Yep, he and Christa finally moved in.. for the most part anyways."

Gerard smiled inwardly, "How's England treating them?"

"Good... he's afraid to go into public alone though." Frank giggled.

Gerard nodded, "I miss going to Europe."

Frank looked up from pressing buttons, "Yeah?"

He nodded, gazing down into his empty coffee mug, "Wanna just go out... bug Delia for a couple of hours?"

Frank shrugged, "The Realtor is coming at 9."

"Oh..."

"Yeah..."

The two men fell silent, and awkward and heavy silence descending over the kitchen. Nadine shifted on the couch, the fake leather squeaking under her bare skin. Frank pushed his breath out slowly, "Let's go out... Delia needs the tips anyways."

Gerard looked up, eyes lighting up. Frank smiled at this, "Lemme get a shower first."

He walked out of the kitchen, scratching at his chest hair. Gerard went over to the couch, shaking Nadine's shoulder, "Wake up, babe. we're going out for breakfast."

Nadine mumbled, and buried herself deeper into the couch. He began whining, "DEEEEEENYYYYYY! I want pancakes!!"

She lifted her head 'If I wake up will you stop talking?"

He nodded, laying down on the couch next to her. "You know.. we have about 15 minutes before Frankie comes back..."

Nadine smirked, seizing Gerard.