One Cold Night

Chapter 3

When I woke up from being unconscious I was not expecting what I heard, smelled, felt, and eventually saw. I smelled some food cooking somewhere close, and heard the crackle of boiling water. I also felt a soft mattress below me.

When I finally pried my eyes open, I looked around to assess my surroundings to only find that I was probably still in the warehouse because of the boarded windows and the size of the room I was in. “I see you’re awake,” a man out of view, with a soft voice said. I turned to see more only to find out I was still shackled, and my left knee had been wrapped and bandaged.

Surprisingly, the man who had spoken was the same man from earlier. I was confused out of my mind. The same man that, presumably hours earlier, was yelling at me and trying to kill me. Unfortunately, his end game was unknown to me. It scared me a little to not know what he was thinking.

“Here, let me help you sit up so you can eat,” he gently told me as he made his way over to me from what looked like a camping stove to help me sit up. “I hope you like chicken noodle soup.”

Frighteningly, his face no longer held an evil appearance to it anymore, and his hands reached up to pull the gag out of my mouth. At that moment, a door slammed opened and shouting filled the room followed by gun fire. It all happened in a flash. It took me about a minute to take in the whole scene that had just unraveled in front of me. The man was lying dead on the floor with my gun next to him, and the previously empty room was filled with police officers.

“Grace, are you ok?” I nodded my head to the familiar face swiftly approaching me. I was mute with shock. I had a hard time comprehending it all.

As soon as I was unshackled, I was placed on a gurney and wheeled out of the warehouse. The setting sun shined brightly into my eyes. “How long was I missing for?” I croaked out of my dry mouth.

“Nearly a whole day, we’re so lucky that we found you. That man had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and there’s no telling what else he would have done to you. I’m just happy we found you.”

My eyes started to tear up. “Me too, Dad, me too.” He bent down and kissed my forehead. The paramedics loaded me into the back of the ambulance and my hand never left the familiar warmth I had grown accustomed to growing up. I breathed a sigh of relief. I was finally going home. THE END