No Ordinary Day

Freedom?

When I woke up, I was bound. From what I could see under my blindfold, I was somewhere dark. I could feel the warmth radiating off of someone next to me. With the strength I could muster, I turned on my right shoulder to face whoever was lying there. A noise that sounded much like a whimper emitted from the still body I was now facing.

“mmhmm?” I tried to say ‘Ashli’ through the gag in my mouth. It seemed to be her from the response I got. Mumbling came from behind her gag, or at least I assumed it was a gag. And, she started rocking her body back and forth. The closest thing I could get to a ‘shush’ was a hissing sound that ran past the fabric in my mouth. Immediately, she stopped.

My legs weren’t tied so I used them to feel around. I wrapped my leg around a hard, but cushy object. I ran my leg up it until I heard a small groan from Ashli. I explored some more and realized I was running my legs across her legs. Well, that’s awkward. But, I did find out that her legs were not restrained either, which was good.

What I also found out was that she was lying on her back. I needed her to lie on her side away from me if her hands were bound like mine. I tapped my foot twice on her stomach to get her attention to know I was ‘talking’ to her. After I tapped my foot twice, I started pushing her to tell her to roll over. She seemed to understand because she began to roll.

Once she was on her side, I scooted closer to her until our bodies were touching. I scooted myself down to where her hands were by my face. She seemed to know what I was doing because she curled her fingers around the fabric in my mouth and pulled until it was out. “Ok, now get it off my eyes now.” I whispered. She did as she was instructed.

Eventually, I could see and talk. It looked like we were in some sort of storage closet. It wasn’t large, but it wasn’t small either. A thin sliver of light seeped through the bottom of the door to light up the closet just enough so we weren’t completely in the dark. Why hadn’t they killed us? Why are we tied up in a closet instead of lying dead in the back halls of the mall?

I sat up and made my way over to Ashli to help her the way she helped me out. Soon, both of us could see and talk. “Help me undo the rope around my wrists.” We were sitting on our haunches now.

“It will be easier if we stand up.” I whispered back. All she did was nod. We slowly stood up and turned around. I carefully traced my fingers along her arm and hand to find the knot in the rope. I was in deep concentration when Ashli spoke.

“I don’t think you ever told me your name.” I could tell that she was peering over her shoulder at me to keep her voice as quiet as possible.

“It’s Marley.” I said through gritted teeth as I pulled the rope out of the tight knot. Without a warning, the door to the closet burst open and light pooled through the open doorway.

“What the – come here.” The man that opened the door grabbed me by my neck and put me into a headlock. Another man came through the door and grabbed Ashli. He held her in the same fashion I was being held. We were pulled through a messy store and into another one. The new store we were pulled into held the rest of the men that ripped through the mall with their guns who-knows how long ago.

The man that was dragging me spoke first. “Got some boss.” A man with graying black hair just nodded and smirked. “Sit” the man holding me practically threw me onto a seat. I looked around and noticed about two other girls tied in the same way Ashli and I were. The only difference between us was that we had managed to get out of our gag and blindfold.

A sudden bang made me jump. I was too busy looking around at my surroundings that I failed to see Ashli slip out of her ropes the rest of the way and start fighting back. The man fought back, of course, and threw her into a wooden chair that tipped backwards when she landed in it. She couldn’t get up in time before she was detained again. The ‘boss’ stood up and started clapping. “Bravo,” he gave off a bigger, crooked smile. “I like you. You’re a feisty little one. I’m happy you are providing your services to us.” He turned around and picked up his gun that was lying next to the chair he was sitting in just seconds before. “Let’s go men. This one’s mine though.” He pointed at Ashli and gave off another smirk.