No Ordinary Day

Leaving

All but one guy took a girl. It took me a little while to realize what was going on. They were using us as hostages. That’s why they didn’t kill us. They needed a way to get out of the building and this was how they were going to do it. They cautiously made their way across the second floor of the mall before they made it to the escalator and on to the first floor. So far so good. We were pulled in tighter when glass could be heard breaking.

The police had arrived a while ago. I guess the guys holding us hostage had refused to negotiate since the SWAT team was already set up with no indication of wanting to negotiate. Both sets of men stared each other in the eyes wondering what move will be made next. ‘Mr. boss man’ spoke out to the SWAT team around the corner. “Let us out and none of these girls will be hurt.” Whimpering and crying could be heard from the girls who were still blindfolded and gagged. “Don’t think I won’t do anything.”

A voice from another corner spoke out. “Don’t think we don’t know that already. We are fully aware of what you are capable. Just let the girls go and we’ll talk about it.” The police man gave a pause before continuing again. “Come on Jerry. Let them go. There is no need to harm them. Let’s just talk, man-to-man, face-to-face.”

I heard the man, Jerry, snicker. “Look man. I have no idea what drugs you’re on, but there is no way I’m getting out of this mess scot-free. Just let us out of here and we’ll be out of your hair.”

“You know I can’t do that, Jerry. These girls are as big of a concern to me as you are. I can’t just let you go so you can terrorize other people.”

“Leave us alone and we’ll leave you alone.”

The policeman shook his head. “I can’t do th-“

“Don’t tell me what I can and can’t do!” Jerry had clearly lost his temper.

I could feel the air getting denser. Something big was about to go down. My heart rate spiked and everything seemed to go in slow motion. A gunshot sounded behind me. It was deafening. Soon, bullets where flying all around us. It wasn’t until I dropped that I felt it. I had been hit. The right side of my body burned.

I was lying on my stomach when the shooting had stopped. The only sound I could hear was a ringing in my ears. Wetness soaked the bottom of my pants. I knew right away that I must be lying in a pool of blood.

I was approached from behind. First legs, then a body, then finally a face appeared in front of mine. Ashli’s face was covered in blood spatters and she had somehow gotten out of her restraints. I could see her mouth moving, but I couldn’t hear a thing she was saying.

She had reached over me and untied my wrists. Once I was free, she turned me over and put pressure on my wound. I felt tired. Really tired.

I started getting my hearing back and could hear her assuring me that I would be ok. Her reassurance didn’t last long before she was pulled from my side to be replaced by EMTs. I could hear her shouting and arguing with the person that kept her from me. She was doing everything in her power to get back to me.

For me, I could no longer feel any pain. Pain wasn’t bothering me anymore, anywhere. The only thing I struggled to do was keep my eyelids open. I was exhausted. I felt like I hadn’t slept in years. My eyelids finally did close once I was put onto the gurney and started being wheeled out. I fell into a nice slumber and didn’t want to get out any time soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not quite sure where I want to go with this story so I'm just leaving it how it is for right now.