Act of Kindness

Act of Kindness

The snow swirled around my reddened face. The streets bustled with life as the temperature dipped lower and lower. Oh what I would do for a warm drink right about now! My frozen hand gripped as tightly around an empty Styrofoam cup as it could. People walked by not minding any business to me at all. How for such a gracious time of year could they not even spare me a couple coins?

As the temperatures fell far below freezing the streets cleared up as most people made their way to warm shelter. I was left on my own with my frozen and aching body. I probably won’t survive the night. I feel sorry for the person who will have to clear my stiff body off of the street. That is if there is much left of me after the animals get done gnawing off my flesh.

Once the snow started to fall harder I knew I should go somewhere and find shelter. I needed to fight to survive as long as I could. Not only am I surprised that the cold hasn’t gotten me yet but also the streets. Unspeakable things happen to young vulnerable girls left on the street.

After deciding to move to somewhere more sheltered for the night I stood up with much difficulty. There is no doubt that the cold has penetrated my bones. I chastise myself for staying out in the open for so long. I’ll have to check myself for frostbite once I get somewhere warmer.

I make it a fairly decent way down the street when I her someone calling after me. It is a rather elderly man wobbling on his cane toward me. He holds out a jacket for me. “Here darling. It looks like you need it more than I do.”

“I’m sorry sir, but I can’t take your jacket.”

“Please, I insist.” He says with a smile. “Please take it. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if you didn’t take it.”

I reluctantly take it from him and shrug it on. We look at each other for a second before he smiles and nods his head. He turns back around and wobbles back to his car. Once he is inside he looks at me one last time before he drives off.

I turn to continue down the sidewalk. The big jacket envelopes me in warmth. My cold hands slide into the pockets. Something in the right pocket stops me in my tracks. It is a big wad of money. Attached to the money is a note. Stay warm this winter.

I fall to my knees on the powdery white ground. The tears that slid down my face turn icy. The joy that fills me is so abundant I can’t keep it in. I cry and cry and cry tears of happiness until I can’t cry anymore. I lift myself off of the frosty ground and make my way to the nearest hotel. I shall stay there for warmth.

As soon as I make it into my room I flop on the bed. I don’t know the last time I have slept in one. The puffy pillows surround me and the plush sheets swallow me with warmth. I feel so good that I don’t want to move. And, I don’t. I fall asleep right there and dream the best dreams I’ve had in years. More specifically, I dream about that man. I dream about where he came from and what he does for a living. I dream about what his family looks like and what he could be doing right now. I dream of all the lives he has touched and will continue to touch. And, I dream of the woman I can become.

His small deed went a long way. It touched my life more than he could probably ever know. He turned my broken life around and gave me hope. Hope I shall share for many decades to come.