Status: Active

I'm Coming Home

I'm Coming Home

Image


It was midnight when Steven arrived home. He had practically sped the entire way from the airport. He was excited, almost too excited, to be back in Tampa. He hastily parked the car and slammed the trunk when he'd successfully slung his hockey bag over his shoulder.

In through the garage he went, walking straight upstairs to the master room. Steven slowly turned handle on the door. The soft creak of the hinge sounded more like a freight train in the silence of the night. It made him cringe.

He slipped through the small opening he had made. His hockey bag followed suit, barely making it past the door, the tail end scraping against the frame. He swore under his breath. So much for being quiet.

His eyes darted to the bed. There was no movement. She hadn’t stirred. He released the breath he’d been holding.

He gently placed the bag on the floor and then proceeded to take his clothes off. He tiptoed into the closet and pulled out a pair sweats to slip into. Walking around the bed to his side he stopped and smiled.

Emily had a hold of his pillow. Her arms were clamped around it, clutching it to her chest and Steven knew it would take a thousand men to pull it from her grasp. His eyes traveled down her body to find her legs curled up closer to her core just as he had expected.

He had asked her once why she slept like that when he was gone. She told him that his pillow smelled of soap, musk, and hockey gear -all things that reminded her of him. She liked to hug it close because it felt like he was there with her.

The smile grew. He felt a familiar warmth spread outwards from his heart, expanding his chest. He expected this feeling every time he returned home, yet it never ceased to amaze him how content he was watching Emily peacefully asleep. It never ceased to surprise him how happy she made him.

Steven reached over her head and grabbed her own pillow. Pulling back the covers, he eased into bed. He lay on his back when an arm wrapped around his torso. He felt legs tangled themselves in his. Emily was awake and she was happy to see him.

She kissed his bare shoulder. “You were quiet coming in,” she spoke softly.

Steven pulled her closer to his side. “I didn’t want to wake you,” he whispered back, kissing the top of her head.

Emily yawned, “You get an A for effort.”

Burrowing her head into the crook of his neck, Emily sighed contentedly. “I’ll be quieter next time,” he murmured, his warm breath tickling her cheeks.

“No, don’t. I like this –you, me, cuddling in bed. Sure beats hugging onto your pillow,” she replied, a lopsided smile slung upon her lips.

Steven chuckled. The sound rumbled through both their bodies. “I’m glad you don’t mind. It’s just what I need after a long week on the road,” He said. His hold on her tightened with each word he spoke. He’d missed her. He always missed her when he was on the road, but she knew that. She always knew what he was thinking and it made him love her even more.

She kissed him square on the mouth. “Welcome home Steve,” Emily whispered.

With his tongue, he parted her lips and deepened the kiss. “It’s good to be home Em.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I loved the idea of having a glimpse into players returning home from a road trip. Especially when there's someone there waiting for them. Stammer's a cutie too so I thought he'd be perfect to drop into this prompt. I hope to get more over these out with various players from different teams.

As always, I L-O-V-E your guys opinion (and/or criticism). Your lovely comments keep me going and keep me writing. :)

Additional Note: for those of you who may have read this under my story "It's a Great Day for Hockey" I discovered I could not have many one shots as part of a story. Therefore I will place all stories I have written/intend to write in a collection of the same name. Here is the link to the collection. Sorry for any confusion and I hope you continue to enjoy these little stories. :)