Sequel: Standing Tall
Status: To make a sequel or not...that is the question...

Getting Back Up

Jubilee

Rebecca and Tyler were sitting on the sofa discussing the previous night's Flyers game while she waited for Scott to arrive. "Ok and what's it called again when the players hit each other into the wall?" Rebecca asked.

"A check," Tyler answered. He had tried to explain the basics of the game while they watched the Flyers game the night before so that Rebecca would be able to talk to Scott about his occupation. Rebecca had a hard time understanding the terminology, but paid attention as best she could while her son yelled at the television every time the Penguins touched the puck.

"And what's icing again?" she asked and raised her right eyebrow in an inquisitive manner.

"When a player shoots towards the opposite end of the ice from behind the center red line and it crosses the red goal line untouched by another player," Tyler tried to explain in its simplest terms so that she would be able to understand.

Rebecca let out an audible sigh. "I'm never going to understand this sport."

"Not the first time you watch a game, no. But give it time. You'll get it," he said reassuringly.

"I guess."

The doorbell rang. Once again, Tyler sprang up and ran to answer the door. "If only I could get you to move like that when I need help with the groceries," Rebecca laughed.

Tyler opened the door to see Scott dressed in dark denim jeans and a Hartnelldown hoodie. "Hey Tyler. Your mom here?" Scott asked. "Yep. Come on in," Tyler managed to say and moved to the side to allow Scott to enter the house.

"Hi Scott," Rebecca said as she stood up from the sofa. Scott walked over to her, took her hand and kissed her on the cheek.

"How are you today?" he asked with a concerned expression on his face.

"I'm good, sorry about yesterday."

"That's alright. You had me worried," Scott said as Rebecca motioned for him to take a seat on the sofa.

"Worried about what?" Tyler asked his mother.

"Nothing sweetie." Rebecca tried her best to suade Tyler's worry but she knew that she had to have the conversation with him about Brad eventually. Just not now. "Are you going out tonight while Scott and I are out?" she asked, trying to change the subject.

"Nah. I'm just gonna stay home and watch tv."

"What? No," Scott said as he shook his head, "You're coming with us."

"I am?!" Tyler exclaimed.

"He is?" Rebecca questioned.

"If that's alright with you, Rebecca. I mean, we did leave him alone the other night...it's kind of cruel if we keep leaving him alone, dont you think?" Scott joked.

"I guess..." Rebecca smiled, "so what do we want to do?"

"How about we go bowling?" Scott asked and looked at Tyler for approval.

"Heck yeah. I'm all over that!" Tyler said as he rubbed his palms together.

"How about you?" Scott asked Rebecca.

"Sounds good to me," she said as she smiled at how excited Tyler was at the prospect of beating Scott.

The trio left the house and drove the fifteen minutes to Lucky Strikes at 13th and Chestnut. Scott graciously signed autographs for adoring fans as they entered the building. Tyler and Rebecca went to the counter to get their lane assignment and bowling shoes. Seeing the mother and son walking to their lane, Scott apologized to his fans and excused himself to join them.

"I bet you get that everywhere, don't you," Tyler asked Scott as he arrived at the lane.

"Sometimes. Depends if I'm wearing any Flyers gear. Most of the time I don't get recognized if I'm wearing normal clothes. Especially since I cut my hair," Scott laughed as he rubbed his head.

"Yeah, why did you cut your hair?" Tyler asked.

"I needed a change," Scott responded, "do you like it?"

"I do," Rebecca smiled at Scott. Scott smiled back and winked. Tyler rolled his eyes.

"Let's bowl people!" Tyler yelled as he noticed his mother and Scott holding hands and staring into each others eyes.

"Have at it bud," Scott said as he moved himself and Rebecca closer to where Tyler was standing. "Don't think I'll take it easy on you just because you're a kid," he laughed.

"Bring it on!" Tyler exclaimed as he threw the bowling ball down the lane, knocking down all ten pins. He turned around and threw his hands above his head in excitement.

"Damn," Scott scoffed as Rebecca laughed at Tyler.

The trio talked and laughed while they bowled, Scott took every opportunity to try and mess with Tyler so that he wouldn't bowl well, but no matter what he did, Tyler was still winning.

Rebecca mused to herself as she watched Scott and Tyler laughing and goading each other as they bowled. She was happy that Scott was considerate enough to invite Tyler to come out with them. In all the years that she spent "on the market", she never dated a man that would take the time to get to know Tyler. In fact, she couldn't remember any that were good enough to actually meet Tyler, let alone stick around long enough to meet him.

She couldn't believe how badly she acted towards Scott the first time they met at the bar. She smiled when she thought of how, even with how much of a bitch she was, he still wanted to go out with her. The smile grew even wider when she remembered their first date and their first kiss. She wanted more kisses from Scott.

"Ma. What's with the goofy look on your face?" Tyler asked as he snapped his fingers at his mother as if she were being awakened from a trance.

"What look?" she asked as she looked up at her son.

"This look," he said as he stuck his tongue out of his mouth and crossed his eyes.

"I did not look like that," she said as she stood and swatted at his arm.

"Yes you did. She did, didn't she Scott?" Tyler asked as he tried to squirm away from his mother.

"Sorry bud, you're on your own. I'm not gonna get on her bad side. I happen to like her face," Scott responded. He walked over to Rebecca, took her hand, and placed a soft, small kiss on her lips.

"Aw man. I don't need to see this," Tyler said as he turned to bowl.

"That was unexpected," Rebecca said as she smiled up at Scott.

"I couldn't help myself. I'm sorry," Scott apologized.

"Nothing to be sorry about," she smiled. "Thanks for inviting him," she said motioning to Tyler, "I'm sure he's having a great time. He's such a fan, I'm surprised he hasn't been snapping pictures to show his friends," she laughed.

"He's a great kid. I'm having a blast too. How about you?" He asked as he brushed the back of her hair with his hand.

"I'm definitely enjoying myself," she said as she took Scott's hand and laced their fingers together. Scott placed another kiss on her lips, this one more passionate.

"Are you guys gonna bowl or make out all night?" Tyler smirked at the couple.

"Tyler John!" Rebecca scolded the teenager as her face began to flush. She wouldn't mind making out with Scott all night, she thought to herself. For the first time, she imagined what it would be like to spend the night with him. Her face felt like it was on fire.

"Alright, let's do this," Scott said as he rolled up the sleeves to his sweatshirt and made his way over to the ball return. He picked up his ball, walked up to the lane, and threw it as hard as he could. It rolled a few feet and then slid into the gutter.

"Don't quit your day job," Tyler said as he laughed uncontrollably. Scott turned around, walked back to Rebecca, pouted and dropped his head onto her shoulder.

"Awwww it'll be alright," she said as she tried to fight back the laughter and stroked his head.

"I don't believe this," he whispered in her ear, "I'm actually not trying to lose."

"I know," she responded, "that's what makes it so funny." She began to squirm when she felt Scott's hands on her sides, tickling her.

"You think it's funny, eh?" he said as he continued to tickle her. "I don't need this abuse...I'm going to get a pizza. Who wants in?" he said as he began walking to the snack bar.

"Me!" Tyler yelled towards him. Rebecca nodded and Scott went off to get their food. "I like him, ma. And not just cause he's a Flyer. He's nicer than I thought he'd be. Plus, he likes you."

"I like him, too." Rebecca admitted.