Sequel: Standing Tall
Status: To make a sequel or not...that is the question...

Getting Back Up

Staggering

"Is it about what had you so upset yesterday?” Scott asked as he sat up to face her. He hoped that she would be able to confide in him, he wanted to be the person that she went to to talk.

“Yes,” she said as she looked down and began fidgeting with the bottom of her shirt. “Part of it,” she looked up at him and saw the concern on his face, “but, I want you to know that I like you. And if you knew me, you’d know that that’s very difficult for me to admit.”

“I like you too Rebecca,” he said as he reached out for her hands, “I haven’t felt this way about someone in a very long time. So I don’t want to do anything that will jeopardize whatever this is between us.”

“I just…I haven’t been in a relationship, casual or otherwise, since Tyler was born. It’s just been the two of us all these years, and it will continue to be, long after whatever this is, ends,” she said in a hushed voice. “I’ve had a very bad track record with guys, especially his father, and I don’t want to be just another notch in your belt and end up brokenhearted.”

“Rebecca, I’m not like that. Not anymore. I’ve had my fair share of heartache, and I don’t wish that kind of pain on anyone. I certainly don’t want to be the cause of it for someone like you,” he said as he inched closer to her. “However you want to move forward, I’m with you. I would love to take you upstairs and make love to you, but if you’re not ready and you want to wait, I’ll wait. I’m not going anywhere. But I also think we deserve to have privacy when we decide to spend the night together. I don’t want you to have to make excuses or hide anything from Tyler,” he said as he rubbed her shoulders and tried to comfort her.

“I want you more than I’ve wanted anyone else Scott. But you’re right. Tyler hasn’t seen me date, and for him to wake up with a man in the house, albeit one of his favorite Flyers, after only having two dates will just be confusing for him,” she said with a small smile. “And with everything going on right now, I need to make sure that he’s my priority and his life stays as normal as possible.”

“I understand,” he said as he kissed her cheek, “I'll do whatever you want. Is that all that was bothering you yesterday? Forgive me, but that doesn't seem all that upsetting, and you sounded devastated by something."

"No, that's not all," she said as she tried to muster up the strength to tell him about Brad. She began, "I haven't seen Tyler's father since three months after he was born. Last week, the same night that you first called me, he had also called me."

"Wait, you've raised Tyler by yourself? For fifteen years? What kind of man does that?" Scott asked as he clenched his jaw.

"It's a long story, one I thought I had made peace with a long time ago. Things happened to him over the years that made him question the choices he's made and now he wants to make ammends," she said as she held Scott’s hand. "I met him for lunch yesterday to hear what he had to say, and after I left I couldn't contain what I was feeling. That's when you called."

"Was he hurtful towards you? What did he say that got you so upset? I'll kill him if he hurt you in any way," Scott said as he held her face in his hand.

"No, he didn't hurt me. Not yesterday anyway. He just explained why he left all those years ago and what happened to him to make him want to see me and Tyler," she said as she placed her hand on top of his.

"What could have happened? How could he stay away from his son for fifteen years and think that with one phone call everything would be fine?" Scott felt bad asking so many questions, very personal ones at that, but she was hurting and he wanted to know why.

Rebecca took a deep breath and then began to tell Scott the story of Brad. She told him about how he left and how she was able to raise Tyler on her own. She told him about Brad's jealousy and selfishness being the reason he left. She told him about the World Trade Center attacks and the cancer. She told him about the way Brad looks now compared to the way he looked when they were together. She told him how, before she had seen Brad and heard his story, she told Tyler that his father wanted to see him and that Tyler didn't want to have anything to do with him.

When she was done, she was in tears all over again, "I'm sorry for unloading all of this on you. You don't need to worry about any of this. But I don't know what to do about Tyler. I think if he doesn't meet Brad he'll regret it once it's too late."

"I can't believe this. Don't worry about me, I'm worried about you. I know this is going to sound stupid, but, what can I do? I can't sit here and see you like this and not do something to make it better," Scott said as he pulled her into his chest and wrapped his arms around her.

"There's nothing you can do. There's nothing I can do. Except tell Tyler the truth and hope he makes the right decision," she said as she leaned her head against his chest. "Just...hold me." She felt the tears stream down her face and she wiped them away with her hand. Scott hugged her tighter and stroked her hair and said, "Of course. I'll do anything for you."

Scott held Rebecca in his arms until she fell asleep. He couldn't believe what she had told him. He stroked her hair, and rubbed her back and wished he could take her pain away. She didn't deserve to deal with this. He blamed Brad. Brad was selfish when he left, and he's being selfish now. How could he not see that she would be affected by his return into her life? Scott felt sympathy for Brad because of his illness, but he hated him for what he was doing to Rebecca.

Scott closed his eyes as he continued to hold Rebecca. Just as he was about to fall asleep, he felt Rebecca stir. She looked up at him and smiled. He bent his head down and kissed her. "Hey beautiful," he said as he kept his forehead pressed to hers, "I wish I didn't have to leave, but it's late. I'm gonna get going. Are you gonna be alright if I go?"

"I'll be fine," Rebecca whispered, "thank you for listening and staying with me. I'm sorry for unloading all of this on you," she said as they stood up to walk to the door.

"Don't be sorry. I just want to make sure you're alright. I'll call you in the morning, okay?" Scott asked as he led her to the door.

"Okay," she leaned in and kissed him goodbye.

"Sweet dreams," Scott said as he turned to leave.

***********************************************************

"Are you sure this is going to work?"

"Yes, I know her. She loved me. She'll do whatever she can to get him to meet me."

"And then what?"

"And then I'll have my son."