Sequel: Standing Tall
Status: To make a sequel or not...that is the question...

Getting Back Up

Stalling

Rebecca woke up the next morning and did not want to get out of bed. She wished Scott was there to wake up to. She couldn't believe she told him about Brad. She hadn't even told Tyler about his father yet. She was not looking forward to having that conversation, but she promised Brad that she would try and convince Tyler to meet him.

Just as she was getting out of bed to get ready for work her phone rang with a text message notification. It was a message from Scott.

Morning beautiful. Hope you slept well. Can't call this morning, coach decided to have practice. Will call later tonight. -S.

Rebecca responded, Would have slept better if you were with me. ;-) Have fun at practice. Can't wait to talk later. -R.

She was disappointed that she would have to wait longer to talk to him. She needed to hear his voice. Even though they had only known each other a week, he knew what to say and do to make her feel better.

She got another text message.... All in due time sweetheart. ;-) Have a good day at work. :-*

She couldn't help but smile.

*********************************************************

Rebecca came home from work to find Tyler and Scott in the kitchen cooking dinner. They hadn't noticed that she was standing there until she snickered watching them. Tyler whipped around and yelled at his mother for sneaking up on them.

"I didn't sneak. I just didn't announce I was home," she laughed.

"Same difference," Tyler smirked.

Scott walked over to Rebecca, put his arm around her waist, kissed her on her cheek and said, "Hi, you look great. How was your day?"

"Good, but it's better now," she answered with a smile, "what are we having for dinner?"

"Scott made chicken alfredo and garlic bread," Tyler said as he went back to stirring the pasta.

"That sounds nice," Rebecca smiled at Scott.

"I wanted to see you, so I figured I'd make us dinner," Scott said as he helped Tyler finish putting everything together. "I'll finish, you go set the table Tyler."

Tyler grabbed three plates and glasses and put them on the table in front of each chair. He went back to the kitchen to get the silverware, but hesitated when he saw his mother and Scott sharing a kiss. "Teenager approaching!" he shouted as he entered the kitchen.

Rebecca pulled away from Scott and apologized to her son. "It's alright ma, I'm just busting ya," Tyler smirked as he got the silverware out of the drawer, "as you were," he said as he walked back to the table.

"He's great," Scott laughed. "Ready to eat?" he asked.

"Yep," Rebecca smiled. They took the platters out to the table and sat down next to each other. Tyler said the blessing and they all began to eat. "How was school today, Ty?" Rebecca asked.

"It was alright. I got a B on my Algebra test," Tyler said as he shoved a forkful of pasta into his mouth.

"Algebra. I do not miss that," Scott laughed.

"Yeah, it sucks," Tyler chuckled. "But it's not as bad as Chemistry. That bites the big one."

"Tyler..." Rebecca scolded him on his choice of words. She watched Tyler and Scott as they ate and admired how well Scott interacted with her son. She wished they would be able to spend more nights like this. She didn't want to have to bring the mood of the night down, but she was going to have to tell Tyler about his father eventually, and why not do it when she has Scott to lean on for support? "Tyler, I need to talk to you about something important."

"What's up? You guys getting married already?" Tyler joked as he continued to shovel food in his mouth.

"No," she laughed as she smiled at Scott. "It's about your father," she said with a serious tone.

"I don't want to hear it," he said harshly.

"You may not want to, but I need to tell you. I had lunch with him on Saturday and he told me why he left us. He wants to meet you." she said as she placed a hand over his on the table.

"I don't care mom. I told you not to call him. I don't want to see him." he pulled his hand away and crossed his arms.

Rebecca looked at Scott with a disappointed look on her face. Scott held her hand and said, "May I?" Rebecca nodded. "Tyler, you're mom told me the situation last night after you went to bed. I know my opinion means nothing, I'm not a part of the family, but I think you might want to hear her out. She only wants what's best for you, and she thinks that if you miss this opportunity to meet your father you'll regret it. She has her reasons."

"Scott, with all due respect, you weren't here. You don't know what he put my mother through and how she had to work all the time so she could finish school and raise me. You weren't here when I would come home after school and wish my mom was able to help me with my homework instead of having to go to work. That's all his fault. And now he wants to meet me? I'm sorry, I can't do it."

"Tyler, you're a great kid. You're smart and funny. But you'll find out when you get older that sometimes you do stupid things that you think are right for you at the time. And you'll want someone to take the time to hear you out while you apologize. That's what he's trying to do now," Scott tried to explain without divulging all of the details, "just think about for a few days. I'm sure you'll understand."

Rebecca squeezed Scott's hand and mouthed the words 'thank you' before looking towards Tyler for a sign that he was coming around.

"Fine," Tyler sighed, "but can you come with us?" he asked Scott.

"I don't think that's a good idea Tyler," Scott said as he looked at Rebecca. "This is a family matter, and I'm not family. But I will be here, for both of you, to help you work through this."