Sequel: Standing Tall
Status: To make a sequel or not...that is the question...

Getting Back Up

Overture

Rebecca had waited until after Scott got out of the shower to tell him about the phone call from Meg. She told him that she was going to go see Brad, and said that he didn't need to go with her, she would be fine. He told her to call if she needed anything and that he would meet up with her after practice if she didn't feel up to going to work.

Rebecca gave him a kiss and told him to lock up on his way out. She breezed down the stairs and out the front door to the car.

Meg was waiting for her when she arrived at Fox Chase twenty-five minutes later. Rebecca hadn't seen Meg since she was pregnant with Tyler, before Brad had left. She still had long, flowing auburn hair and looked like she hadn't aged a bit.

As soon as Rebecca saw Meg she was reminded of the accusations she had made about her cheating on Brad. She gritted her teeth as she greeted Meg. "Hi Meg. Thanks for calling me. Where is he?" she asked as they entered the building.

"He's in room 211," Meg said as she directed Rebecca to the elevator.

"Are you coming?" Rebecca asked as she stepped into the elevator and Meg stayed back.

"No, you should be alone." Meg said as the elevator doors shut.

Rebecca got off the elevator and followed the signs to room 211. She stood outside the room listening to the beeping of the heart monitor. A doctor walked up behind her. "Are you here for Mr. Parker?" he asked.

"What? Oh yes," she said when she realized he was talking to her.

"I'm sorry there's not much more we can do for him. He's stopped responding to the treatments. We don't think he's got much more time left." Rebecca turned to look at the doctor standing next to her. He was tall, with salt-and-pepper hair, wearing a stethoscope around his neck. His name tag said Dr. Pearlman, M.D.

"How long?" Rebecca asked, she tried to swallow to remove the lump from her throat.

"A week. Maybe two," Dr. Pearlman said apologetically. "You can go in...he should be awake."

"Thank you Doctor," she shook his hand and entered the room. She slowly made her way to his bedside, placing her jacket and purse on a cabinet next to the bed. She pulled the grey chair closer to the bed and gently took his hand in hers. His eyes fluttered open at her touch.

"Becky..." he said breathlessly, "I'm glad you came."

"Meg said you wanted to see me..." she said as she patted his hand.

"I wanted to ask you something before its too late...." he coughed after every second word.

"What's that?" she looked at him inquisitively.

"I...you know I'm sorry for how I left all those years ago...I...I want to keep my promise to you..." he managed to turn his head to look in her eyes.

"What promise?" she asked.

"To marry you....," he said before coughing violently. "I promised that after Tyler was born that we'd get married. And then I was stupid and left before we could do it...."

"You don't need to worry about that. It's water under the bridge.." she said reassuringly.

"No, you don't understand...I need to keep my promise...so I can die in peace..." he choked as the words crossed his lips.

"Brad...I forgive you...for everything. There's no need..." Rebecca felt tears forming in her eyes.

"Becky, please...I've already changed my will...once we're married and I pass, you and Tyler will get all of my money. You won't have to worry about providing for his future. You won't have to worry about anything..." Brad tried his hardest to convince her that marrying him would be beneficial for everyone.

Rebecca told Brad that she needed a day to think about it. He thanked her for considering and asked if she would come back to see him tomorrow. She said she would come by after work.

Rebecca left Brad's room and immediately called Scott. He was just getting to the SkateZone and said that he'd be at her place by the time she got home from work. He asked her if she would be alright, and she said she thought so.

******************************************************

"And you're considering it?" Scott asked as he held Rebecca.

"I know it sounds crazy...but he's been through so much..." she paused, "if it will give him peace and allow him to come to terms with what he did to me and Tyler...how can I refuse?"

"But..." Scott couldn't ask the question he wanted, "you know that if you needed anything for Tyler I would help..."

"It's not about the money....that's not why I'm considering it. He wants forgiveness. And this will give him that," she responded. "And it's not like it will mean anything...it's just on paper. He doesn't have much time left."

"I can't tell you not to do it...but I want you to know that I'm here for you," Scott said as he kissed her forehead.

********************************************************

The next morning Rebecca called Brad and told him that she would marry him. "Thank you so much Becky....you don't know how happy this makes me."

"When do you want to do this?" she asked.

"Is Friday alright?" he questioned.

"Friday is fine," she responded.

"I'll have Meg make all of the arrangements." he said and hung up the phone.

Brad called Dr. Pearlman and told him that the plan was in motion and that she had agreed to marry him on Friday. Brad told the doctor to make sure that he looked his absolute worst and to have the machines rigged to show fake stats. Pearlman confirmed that it would be done.

Brad then called Meg. "She's agreed. Friday is the day. Get in touch with the hospital pastor and set the day." He let out a sigh of relief. Step one...complete. he thought to himself.

********************************************************

Despite being loyal to her brother, Meg was fighting with herself about telling Rebecca the truth about Brad. Meg and Rebecca had been friends for years before Rebecca started dating her brother. Throughout Brad and Rebecca's relationship, Meg had first-hand knowledge of all of the fights, all of the excuses he made to not spend time with Tyler, and the inevitable reason he gave for leaving. She hated him for using her as a scapegoat to accuse Rebecca of cheating on him, but he was her brother.

She needed him more than she needed Rebecca. He was the one that helped her when she was involved with a boyfriend that abused her. He was the one that convinced their parents to let them stay in the mansion so that she didn't have to tell them that she blew through all of her trust fund money.

Meg knew that if she told Rebecca the truth, Brad would never forgive her. He might even kill her. But she couldn't continue to go along with this scheme. Rebecca deserved to live her life. Tyler deserved a better father. Brad was trying to take it all away from them.

She picked up the phone and called Rebecca. Rebecca answered on the second ring. "Becky...I need to tell you something."

"Is it Brad? Is he gone??" Rebecca asked.

"No, he's not gone. But it is about him," she hesitated.

"What's wrong?" Rebecca sounded more concerned than she should have been about Brad.

"He's lying to you. He's not sick." Meg managed to say.

"What? What do you mean he's not sick? I saw him at the hospital."

"I know...but it's all an act. He wants to trap you into marrying him." Meg confessed.

"Why would he want to do that?" Rebecca questioned.

"Because he wants Tyler. And he knows the only way to have his son in his life is to have you. And you wouldn't want to have anything to do with him if you knew the truth about why he left." Meg said as she choked back tears.

"I know why he left Meg. It was because of you. You lied to him. You convinced him that I was unfaithful. What I couldn't figure out was why...you knew I loved your brother. You knew I had never been with anyone other than him. Why would you lie?" Rebecca tried to remain calm, but she couldn't contain herself.

"I didn't tell him anything. He made that all up. He used me because he needed a credible source for his lie. He knew that you wouldn't question me," Meg began to cry. "I'm so sorry. You don't deserve this. But I had to tell you the truth."

"Tell me the truth. How can I even trust what you're saying is the truth? You were always jealous of me, I just didn't realize that spilled over into your relationship with your brother. You're the one who's sick Meg. Thanks for the concern, but I know what I'm doing." Rebecca hung up the phone.