Sequel: Standing Tall
Status: To make a sequel or not...that is the question...

Getting Back Up

Masquerade

Meg looked at her phone and couldn’t believe that Rebecca wouldn’t listen to her. How did she let this get so out of hand? She knew she should have gone to her best friend when this all started fifteen years ago. She shouldn’t have chosen her brother over her best friend. Now she was stuck trying to do the right thing, and Rebecca didn’t want to listen. She needed to find a way to get through to her. She needed to talk to the one person that would be able to convince her not to marry Brad.

*******************************************************************************

Scott was in the locker room of the Wells Fargo Center getting ready for morning skate when Craig Berube, the coach, approached him with a small piece of paper in his hand. Berube leaned down so that his voice wouldn’t be audible to the whole locker room. “Hartsy…the front office gave me this message for you. Some girl Meg…says she knows Rebecca…needs you to call her about her brother Brad. She said it’s life or death,” Berube said as he handed the message to Scott.

“Thanks Chief,” Scott said as he shoved the paper into the pocket of his pants hanging in his stall.

“Everything okay?” Berube asked.

“Yeah, it’ll be fine. Rebecca’s just going through some stuff…” Scott said.

“Well, let me know if you need anything,” the coach said as he patted Scott’s shoulder.

After practice, Scott decided that he would call Meg back. He already knew the situation with Brad was life or death…the man had cancer and was on his death bed. What could she want to talk to him about? Scott walked out of the locker room and down a series of hallways until he found a spot that would be private enough to have the conversation about what is going on.

“Hi, is this Meg? It’s Scott Hartnell…you called me?” Scott said when she answered the phone.

“Yeah, I hate to bother you, but I need your help. Do you know what’s going on with Brad and Rebecca?” Meg asked her tone serious and worried.

“Yeah, Rebecca told me that Brad is dying…” Scott had an inquisitive tone.

“Okay…well, he’s not dying.” Meg said point-blank.

“Wait, what? What do you mean he’s not dying?” Scott grilled her.

“It’s a long story…but what you need to know is that Brad is faking his illness. He wants to marry Rebecca so that he can have a relationship with Tyler…” her words hung in the air until she continued, “He paid the doctor to help him fake the cancer. And now Rebecca’s agreed to marry him...I’ve tried telling her that he’s lying, but she won’t listen to me because of our history. I think she’ll listen to you…you need to stop her from going through with this.”

Scott stood against the wall with the phone to his ear, stunned by what she was telling him. This can’t be possible. No one would be that cruel to trap someone into a marriage they didn’t want. But, if Rebecca wouldn’t listen to Meg…why should he? Why would she do this?

“Scott…are you there?” Meg said as she glanced at her phone to make sure the call wasn’t lost.

“Yeah…I’m just…I’m having a hard time understanding what’s going on. You’re saying that the only reason Brad sought out Rebecca was to get her to marry him for Tyler? If that’s true, why would he wait so long? And if he wants to be with Rebecca…why not just tell her that instead of going through all of this?” Scott asked.

“Look, when he left Rebecca after Tyler was born…he lied about why. It wasn’t because he thought she cheated. She never did. He left because he was greedy. Our parents had set up trust funds for us when we were younger. We weren’t able to touch them until we turned thirty. Any time our parents wanted us to do something, or not do something, they held the money over our heads. When Brad and Rebecca were dating, my parents told him that they didn’t want him with her. He didn’t care, he wanted to be with her. He loved her. But when she got pregnant and he started talking about marriage…they told him that they would take the trust fund away from him if he married her. Instead of standing up to them for the woman he loved and the son he was going to have, he created this lie about her cheating so that he would be able to get out of the relationship and eventually get his money…” Meg didn’t want to give him all the details about what happened, but she had no choice if she was going to convince him to stop Rebecca from marrying Brad.

“So…all this time…he neglected them because he wanted money?” Scott said in disbelief.

“Yes…once he turned thirty and got the money he started planning how to get her back. He knew that if he just showed up, she’d tell him to get lost. He needed her sympathy. He knows she’s got a good heart…she’ll help anyone that’s in need. That’s how he came up with the story about the September 11th attacks and the cancer. He needed her to think he was a better man…” Meg’s words trailed off.

Scott slid his back down the wall until his knees were in his chest. “How am I going to stop her?” he asked to himself.

“I hate to put this on you…but she won’t listen to me. I know you’re dating…I’m not sure where you are in the relationship, but if you care for her at all…you’ll find a way to get her to listen,” Meg said, “there’s not much time. They’re performing the ceremony at the hospital on Friday.”

***********************************************************************

After the conversation with Meg, Scott returned to the locker room. Claude and Kimmo were standing in the middle of the room discussing the game against the Canadiens they had later that night. They saw Scott walk in and head directly to his stall without acknowledging them. He looked like a truck had run him over; the color was gone from his face. They went to him, each one sitting down on the bench on either side.

“Scott…what happened? You look like you’re going to be sick…” Kimmo asked his friend.

“I think I might,” he paused, “Rebecca’s ex…the one who’s sick…he’s faking.”

Claude and Kimmo stared at Scott in disbelief. Claude started, “How can you be sure?”

“It’s a long story…that I don’t quite understand myself. But his own sister called me to tell me that he’s faking,” Scott said as he stared at the floor. “But that’s not the worst part,” he stammered, “she’s going to marry him.”

“What?!” Claude shouted and caused everyone in the room to turn around and look at them. He waved his hand in the air as to tell them they were fine and to go back to whatever they were doing. In a hushed voice he said, “What do you mean she’s going to marry him? She’s dating you…”

“He’s convinced her that the only way he can die in peace is if she marries him as a sign of forgiveness. His sister just told me that he wants her back and wants Tyler and thinks this is the only way to get them,” Scott’s voice trembled as he said the words.

“What can we do?” Kimmo asked as he put his hand on Scott’s shoulder.

“Nothing. I need to talk to Rebecca…I need to stop her,” Scott said as he got up and walked out of the locker room to make a call. He followed the same path down the winding hallways to the spot where he had talked to Meg. He clicked on Rebecca’s name in his phone and put it to his ear.

She picked up on the third ring. “Hey handsome…I’m at work…can I call you back in a bit?”

“Rebecca. I need to talk to you. It’s important,” Scott said, the tense tone of his voice was felt through the phone by Rebecca.

“Oh, okay…give me a second,” she said as she got up from her desk to close her office door, “what’s going on? What’s the matter?”

“Brad’s sister Meg called me a little bit ago. She says that Brad really isn’t sick,” he said as he tried to remain calm.

“What the hell. She’s crazy,” Rebecca said.

“Rebecca, she said he paid the doctor to fake the illness so that he could trick you into marrying him.” Scott sounded as if he had been wounded by the words.

“Scott, she’s been jealous of me since we were kids. She’s the one who’s lying. She’s lied before, why should now be any different?” Rebecca could feel herself getting upset.

“If it weren’t true, why would she go to such lengths to get in touch with me to convince you not to marry him?” Scott asked, getting equally upset.

“I don’t know…maybe she’s trying to punish her brother for something. Maybe she doesn’t want him to have peace before he dies.” Tears began to glide down her cheek.

“I doubt it. I think she’s trying to save you from making a mistake,” Scott responded. “Look, we need to talk about this more before you do anything. And I need to get focused for the game tonight. Can you meet me at my apartment after the game?”

“Yeah, I guess. I’ll tell Tyler to spend the night at Jay’s house…what time will you be home?” Rebecca asked as she wiped the line of tears from her face.

“Probably around eleven. Get there whenever you want…I’ll tell the security desk you’re coming. They’ll let you into the apartment,” Scott instructed.

“Alright,” she said as she composed herself, “Good luck. I’ll see you tonight.” They both hung up their phones. Rebecca placed her elbows on her desk and dropped her head into her hands. Scott leaned his head back against the wall and let out a heavy sigh.

*******************************************************************

After work, Rebecca went home and told Tyler that he was going to stay the night at Jay’s house. She would drop him off and he could take Jay’s bus to school the next morning. Tyler was confused as to why his mother would allow him to stay over at a friend’s house during the school week, but the only question he asked was if everything was alright. Rebecca assured him that everything was fine.

After dinner she drove him to Jay’s house and then made her way to the address Scott had texted her after their phone call. She pulled into the parking garage, parked and walked through the doorway to the lobby of the building. She gave her name to the gentlemen seated at the desk, to which one responded, “Yes. Ms. Caruso. Mr. Hartnell should be returning in a couple hours. I’ll escort you to his apartment.” He came out from behind the desk and escorted her up to Scott’s apartment.

She entered the apartment and was immediately in awe of the scope of it. The living room had ceiling-to-floor windows that opened to a balcony that overlooked the tall buildings of center city. She didn’t want to snoop, but she had to see every part of his pad. She noticed that it didn’t look how she imagined it, for a bachelor pad it was meticulous. Everything was in its place, and as she entered his bedroom she saw that even his bed was made.

After touring his apartment, she poured herself a glass of wine in the kitchen and made her way to the large sofa in front of an even larger flat-screen television. She picked up the remote from the side table and turned on the television and found that it was already on ComcastSportsNet and the game was in the final seconds of the first period. The Flyers were down 1-0 to the Canadiens. She watched the intermission report, during which she learned that Scott had gotten penalized for a questionable hit on one of the players on the other team. She wondered if that had anything to do with her or if it was just the way the game was going.

She continued watching the game, listening as the announcers described the actions on the ice. Canadiens score again, 2-0. Flyers score, 2-1. Second intermission. Third period begins, and although the Flyers kept shooting the puck, the Canadiens goaltender stopped them all. Flyers lose 2-1. Hopefully the outcome of the game won’t affect Scott’s demeanor when he comes home.

An hour and a half later, Scott entered his apartment to find Rebecca asleep on the couch. He wasn’t in the best mood when he first arrived, but seeing her so peaceful brought a small smile to his face. He placed his gear bag down on the floor next to the sofa, leaned over the back and stroked her hair and quietly said, “Babe…I’m home.”

Rebecca opened one eye and looked up at Scott and said, “Sorry you lost.”

“Thanks. Sucks, but it happens,” he said as he walked around to the front of the couch to sit down. Rebecca sat up and wiped the sleep from her eyes. He leaned over and gave her a kiss. “I’m glad you came.”

“Of course…but…nothing that Meg has said is going to change my mind,” Rebecca said harshly.

"Rebecca, please. Let’s just say that there may be a smidge of truth to what’s she’s saying. Why would you marry him if you don’t love him? Why does he deserve your forgiveness?” Scott asked hesitantly.

“I don’t know…but it’s not like it’s going to matter…he’ll be gone within a week or so,” she said softer.

“Look, my ex may or may not have done some pretty terrible things…but there’s no way on Earth that I would agree to do what you’re planning to do.” Scott told Rebecca the history of his relationship with Lisa, having to stop multiple times as he described the rumors about Jeff. “After all these years, I’m not even sure she ever loved me in the first place. If she didn’t, she should have never gone through with the wedding. To put us both through that pain…it was unnecessary. Have you given any thought to what happens if he were to possibly get better? What then? Where does that leave us?” He stared into Rebecca’s green eyes searching for an answer.

“He’s not going to get better. I’ve spoken with his doctor,” Rebecca said as she moved closer to Scott and placed a hand on his thigh, “I hope you can understand…I…I want us to be okay.”

“Rebecca…I….I think I’m falling in love with you,” Scott said as he put his hand over top of hers, “marry me…”
♠ ♠ ♠
I started working on this at lunch, and I just couldn't stop...lol. More to come later!!

And Hartsy scored a goal AGAIN while I was working on last night's chapters...it's like he knows...lol :-p