Sequel: Standing Tall
Status: To make a sequel or not...that is the question...

Getting Back Up

Indecision

"Scott...stop. You don't mean that," Rebecca said as she stared at him," you just don't want me to marry Brad."

"I don't want you to marry Brad. I want us to spend our lives together. I....I want to marry you," Scott said as he laced their fingers together.

"Scott, I care for you...and I would like nothing more than to spend my life with you...but I need to do this. Not just for Brad...for myself as well. It will put my history with Brad to rest...I'll have closure. And then once he's gone....we can concentrate on us," Rebecca smiled.

******************************************************

Against his better judgment, Scott resigned himself to the fact that he was not going to change Rebecca's mind no matter what. Instead of arguing with her about it, he decided to make the most of their time alone and made love to her into the wee hours of the morning. He wanted to savor every inch of her....every touch, smell, and taste until he couldn't handle any more.

When her alarm woke them up the next morning, he didn't want to let her go. It was one day closer to when she would make the worst decision of her life. Unfortunately, she had to go to work and she hadn't expected to spend the night with him, so she needed to go home to get dressed. He relunctantly walked her out of his apartment, kissing her the entire way to the door and then to the elevator.

He couldn't believe that he had asked her to marry him the night before. Even though the thought of marriage scared the shit out of him, he wanted her...forever. He asked the question initially because he thought that he could at least buy some time to convince her not to marry Brad. But as he pleaded his case to her and assured her that he was serious, he realized that he truly meant it.

He realized that the past few weeks he's spent with her have been the best of his life, and he didn't want that to end. But if Meg is right, he'll lose Rebecca on Friday. They had to change her mind.

Scott called Meg again to tell her that he hasn't been able to get through to Rebecca yet. "God, she's so frigging stubborn," Meg said. "Nothing has changed."

"Regardless, how are we going to convince her that he's lying?" Scott asked.

"I'll get proof," Meg said.

******************************************************

A day and a half passed, it was now Thursday afternoon, and Meg called to tell Scott that she had what they needed to stop the ceremony. She told him that they should confront Brad at the hospital before the ceremony. Scott agreed.

That night, Scott wrestled with the decision to tell Rebecca about the plan for the next day. They were having a wonderful evening with Tyler and he didn't want to ruin it...especially since it could very well possibly be the last time they were to be together.

After Tyler went to bed, Rebecca and Scott remained on the sofa for an hour or so before making their way to her room. They layed in bed, cuddled into each other, exchanging passionate kisses like they never have before. They took their time making love to each other...as if they could stop time if they stayed entwined.

Scott held her in his arms and placed kisses on her lips and neck. "You are an amazing woman. I want you to know that," he whispered.

"You're pretty amazing yourself," she said as she kissed him back.

"I love you." Scott stared into her eyes as he uttered the words, so that she would know he meant it.

"I love you too. More than anything," she smiled as she kissed him again.

********************************************************

Friday morning Scott had to be at the SkateZone for practice by nine o'clock. The whole time he was on the ice he could only think about Rebecca. He was supposed to meet Meg at the hospital at one o'clock so they could confront Brad before the ceremony. Although he would be saving Rebecca from making a huge mistake, she was going to be hurt. Brad was going to hurt her again. Scott mentally prepared himself for the fallout that was about to happen.

Scott met Meg at the entrance to the hospital. "What kind of evidence did you get?" he asked as they walked into the building.

"A recording. There's no way he can deny it once I play this for them," she said as she showed Scott her phone.

They rushed to the elevator and got off on the second floor. They made their way to the room that Brad occupied. As they got closer to the doorway, voices could be heard, but they couldn't make out what was being said until they got closer.

And by the power vested in me by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, I now pronounce you husband and wife.

Scott stopped in his tracks as he heard the words. "It's too late, " he said as he looked into the room to see Rebecca standing by Brad's bed, holding his hand and smiling down at him. She couldn't see that Scott was there. Rebecca leaned down and kissed Brad on the forehead.

"It's not too late. Come on!" Meg said as she tried to pull Scott into the room.

He pulled back. "No. I can't. It's too late." he said as he turned and walked away.