Sequel: Standing Tall
Status: To make a sequel or not...that is the question...

Getting Back Up

Treatment

Scott turned to look at Rebecca. She squeezed his hand as she said it again.

"Really?" Scott asked, not really knowing what to say. He could see that she was searching for a positive reaction in his face and he was more than happy to give her one. He placed his arms around her waist and pulled her into him.

"Well, I'm late...," she said as she looked up into his blue eyes, "I haven't seen my doctor yet."

"How late?" he asked.

"Nine days. I've never been this late before," she responded. "I didn't know if I should tell you yet...without confirmation...but when I saw you...I...I wanted you to know," she could barely get out the words.

"Of course I'd want to know," he kissed her lips. "I love you. And if you are pregnant, I'll love this baby even more," he kissed her again as he placed a hand on her stomach.

She covered his hand with hers. "I love you too."

*******************************************************

Saturday morning Rebecca woke up to sunlight streaming through the curtains in Scott's room. She admired his features as he slept. She was thankful that he was happy about the possibility of becoming a father, she was so nervous to tell him. She wouldn't be able to make an appointment with her doctor until Monday, so she decided that she would stop at the pharmacy and pick up a pregnancy test on the way home.

She wanted to know as soon as possible, even if they weren't one hundred percent accurate, she figured it was better than nothing. Then she would be able to have it confirmed by the doctor...and they could start making plans. As she started to think about the future, she began to worry...would she be able to handle being a mother again? Tyler was basically grown, he could take care of himself...a new baby requires alot of work. Could she keep up at her age?

"What are you thinking about?" Scott asked as he opened his eyes to see Rebecca furrowing her brow.

"Oh, hi. Nothing...," she answered with a smile.

"If you say so," he said as he leaned in for a kiss. "How do you feel?"

"I feel great. How about you?" Rebecca smiled.

"Absolutely perfect. Waking up next to you is the best part of my day." He inched closer to her and draped his arm over her side.

"Mine too," she responded as she nestled her head against his chest. "Do you have practice today?"

"Yeah...at eleven. But then I'm free the rest of the day. What do you want to do later?" Scott asked.

"Whatever you want...Tyler is spending the weekend with Jay and his family, so I'm all yours," she answered with a smirk.

"Nice...I like the sound of that..." he said as he stroked her hair.

******************************************************

"How much longer do you need?" Doctor Pearlman asked.

"A week or so," Brad responded, "and then I can make my recovery."

"Alright. It's just that the staff is starting to ask questions.." Pearlman said.

"Well then answer them. Just don't let anyone know what is going on here," Brad responded. "We have to make it convincing to her that I've started to recover, despite what you've told her."

"Fine. The sooner the better. I'm the one with the most to lose here," Pearlman reminded.

"Stop being such a baby. It'll be fine." Brad had finished the sentence just as Rebecca walked into his room. "Hey, I didn't expect to see you today," Brad said.

"Yeah well Scott’s at practice and Tyler's with friends. Figured I'd pop over and see how you are," she said as she nodded towards Doctor Pearlman.

"Better today," Brad responded.

"You look better..." she said.

Doctor Pearlman and Brad exchanged glances and the doctor excused himself from the room. Rebecca wondered if it was possible that Meg was actually telling the truth. Over the past week Brad has seemed in better spirits and looked like he could be getting better. She wondered if Brad could really be that meniacal...

She spent an hour or so with Brad before heading back to Scott's apartment to meet him for a late lunch. On the way back she stopped to buy the pregnancy test.

*******************************************************

"Is it time yet?" Scott asked as he paced the floor.

"Scott, sit down...you're making me nervous," she laughed.

"I'm sorry. I can't help it," he said as he sat down next to Rebecca on the sofa. He rubbed her upper thigh with his hand and asked, "Why aren't you climbing the walls right now?"

"Because I've had time to process the possibility that I'm pregnant," she chuckled, "I just sprung this on you last night."

"True, true. How much longer?" he smiled.

"You're impossible," she kissed his cheek. The alarm on her phone rang.

"It's time!" Scott exclaimed as he jumped up off the sofa.

"Okay, okay....you stay here, I'll go check," she said as she walked towards the bathroom. Scott followed her but stayed outside to wait. Thirty seconds later Rebecca emerged from the bathroom. He searched her face for a reaction but couldn't find one.

"Well??!!" Scott asked.

Rebecca held up the strip and said, "It's positive!" Scott grabbed her tightly, lifted her up off the floor and squeezed. He kissed her before dropping to his knees and pressing his forehead to her stomach. Rebecca held his head to her.

"We're having a baby..." he said as he stood back up. "I love you so much Rebecca."

"I love you too," she said as he hugged her tightly. "Are you ready for this?" she asked.

"Yep. I'm ready for anything," he responded.