Sequel: Standing Tall
Status: To make a sequel or not...that is the question...

Getting Back Up

Intentions

Rebecca and Scott lounged on the couch for the rest of the afternoon watching movies and binging on junk food. "You really shouldn't be eating this stuff....not during the season," Rebecca said as she dug into the bag of chips.

"I know. But one time won't kill me. I just think we need to have a lazy day today," he said as he placed his hand onto her stomach. He dipped his head and nuzzled into her neck. She moaned in agreement when his lips touched her skin. "I'll skate longer tomorrow at practice to burn it off," he said.

"You better...can't have you putting on any pregnancy sympathy weight," she joked as she rubbed his abdomen. "Only one of us is allowed to look like a beached whale," she laughed.

"You will not become a whale," he smiled, "You'll be absolutely gorgeous." He kissed her on the cheek.

"Thanks." She said as she deliberately crunched on a potato chip in his face.

"Sexy....real sexy...." he laughed. "So...when are we going to tell Tyler?"

"I think we should wait until after I can see the doctor, just to confirm. No need to mention it if it was a false positive." she said.

"Yeah, I guess. Do you want me to go with you to the doctors appointment?" he asked.

"No, you don't have to...not this one," she smiled, "there will be plenty more for you to go to."

He smirked. "Alright." He paused for a moment while he figured out how to articulate his next thought. "We have something else we need to talk about..." he said as he turned to face her. It had been two weeks since he had watched her marry Brad. They hadn't talked about it at all, but now with a baby on the way he couldn't let her continue with this sham.

"What's that?" she asked.

"Brad. And this situation...I really think you should talk to Meg. She told me she could prove that Brad is lying. We even went to the hospital to confront him before you were going to marry him...but we were too late," the smile he had been wearing for the past few hours disappeared from his face.

"What do you mean she has proof? What kind of proof? And if you were at the hospital why didn't you say anything?" she fired off questions without giving him a chance to answer.

"Meg seemed convinced that you were making a mistake, so I told her that we needed a way to make you listen. A few days later she called and said she had what we needed. I don't know what it is. We were bringing it to the hospital that day, but when we got there you were already married..." his voice trailed off.

"So why didn't you say anything then?" she asked.

"I couldn't. I think I was stunned...I couldn't walk into his room. I needed time to process what had happened," he said as he took her hands in his.

"Is that why I didn't hear from you until a day after you left on the road trip?" she asked.

"Yes. I needed a little time to deal with the situation and to wrap my head around it. I'm sorry...I love you...and I had just admitted it to myself. And then to see you marry someone else, it stung. I know your heart isn't in it, but it's still a marriage. Plus, I had just proposed...I didn't want you to marry him," Scott said.

"Scott..." she moved closer to him, "I love you too. I'm sorry if I hurt you with my decision...that is the last thing I wanted to do. I really thought that he would be gone by now...." she paused, "but every day he seems like he's getting better. I'm starting to think that you and Meg are right."

"And this is what I didn't want. I didn't want you to have to go through this," he responded.

"But how am I...I mean, I know I could petition for an annulment, but that could take months or years if he won't go along with it," she said with pain in her voice.

"Look, if you're worried about me sticking around to wait...I'm willing to wait." He pulled her into him and wrapped his arms around her. "I've never felt like this about anyone before. I love you with my whole heart. I can't imagine not having you in my life...especially now," he glanced down at her stomach and then back up to look into her eyes.

"I feel the same way about you Scott. If someone had told me four months ago that I'd be sitting here today...head over heels in love with a man I just met, having his baby...I would have said they were crazy. But I wouldn't have it any other way," she leaned in and kissed him. He held her head in his hands as they shared a quiet moment.

"So what do you want to do now?" he asked.

"I think I'll call Meg tomorrow and we can go see Brad to tell him I'm going to dissolve the marriage," she answered.

"Sounds good," he smiled.

********************************************************

Sunday morning Rebecca had called Meg and apologized for not listening to her weeks ago. She told Meg about her suspicions about Brad and asked what kind of proof she had about the situation. Meg told her that she'd rather unveil it in person, in front of Brad, so that there wouldn't be any further doubt. They agreed to meet at Fox Chase around one o'clock that afternoon to confront Brad.

Scott placed a call to the lawyer he had used for the divorce from Lisa to start the paperwork process for Rebecca. The lawyer advised him that the entire annulment process could take up to a year, and Scott informed him that it didn't matter how long it took, it needed to be done.

Rebecca called to check on Tyler before they left to go to the hospital. He said they were having a great time and he'd call after dinner when he was ready for her to pick him up.

Scott and Rebecca met Meg at the entrance to the hospital. Meg apologized in advance for what was going to happen, but she was glad that Rebecca would be able to see Brad for the conniving ass that he is. They made their way up to the second floor and entered Brad's room. He looked better than the day before, Rebecca noticed.

"Ummm hey. What's up guys?" Brad asked nervously.

"Brad, we need to talk," Rebecca said as she sat in the chair next to Brad's bed. Scott stood behind her and placed his hands on her shoulders. Meg stood across the room and stood against the wall with her arms crossed.

"Sounds serious. Everything okay?" He looked at Scott and noticed that his jaw was clenched.

"No, not really. I'm going to have our marriage annulled," she said matter-of-factly.

"What? Why?" Brad asked.

"Because you haven't been honest with me. You tried to trap me into this marriage...why I don't know, but I'm ending it," she answered.

"I don't know what you're talking about. I would never try and do such a thing," he responded. "Are you saying this because of him?" Brad said, motioning to Scott.

"Brad, please. This has nothing to do with Scott. He's here because I asked him. This has everything to do with you."

"This is unbelievable. You can't do this. We had a deal. You can't wait until I'm gone?" Brad stared at Rebecca, trying to convince her to change her mind.

"But that's the point Brad. You're not going anywhere. It's all a lie...the entire story...just to get me back. You didn't have any right to do this to me. I was perfectly fine without you." Rebecca could feel herself getting choked up until Scott's hands squeezed her shoulders to let her know that he was there for her.

"What do you mean I'm not going anywhere?? I've got cancer....you heard Doctor Pearlman the other day...I'll have good days and bad, it's to be expected. But it's only a matter of time." Brad glanced at all three faces before settling on Rebecca's.

Rebecca turned to look at Meg and nodded. Meg took her phone out of her pocket and clicked the screen a few times before a voice came through the speakers.

Brad: You'll get the money when it's done.

Pearlman: I can't keep this up any longer. Administration is looking for the money. I can't put them off any longer.

Brad: How many times do we have to go over this? Once I get her to marry me I can start my recovery. Once I'm out of this bed, the hospital will get their money.

Pearlman: Well it better be quick or we'll all go down. And then you won't get what you want.

Brad: Three days. In three days she'll be my wife and then we can start working on getting me out of here.


Meg clicked the phone off and put it back in her pocket.

"You backstabbing bitch!" Brad shouted as he sat up in the bed.

"Brad, don't blame Meg. This is your fault, not hers. I'm having paoers drawn up to dissolve the marriage. You'll be served in a few days. If you ever loved me...you won't contest it," she said strongly.

"You're nuts if you think I'm going to let you go that easily. I didn't spend all this time, money and energy just to give up," Brad yelled.

Rebecca stood from the chair and walked out of the room, followed by Meg. Scott stood next to Brad's bed and issued a threat.

"If you come within five feet of her or Tyler...I will have you killed."

"Screw you. She's my wife and Tyler is my son. I'll do whatever I can to have them," Brad said through gritted teeth.

Scott stared at Brad for a moment and without warning cold-cocked him in the jaw, knocking him out.

"I'll feel that later," he said as he left the room to catch up to Rebecca and Meg.