Sequel: Standing Tall
Status: To make a sequel or not...that is the question...

Getting Back Up

Wounds Can't Heal

Despite being a single mother at the age of twenty, Rebecca Caruso graduated Magna Cum Laude from Villanova University with a Bachelor's of Science in Sociology. She had worked parttime at a bookstore on campus, taking full advantage of her mother's offer to babysit Tyler whenever needed.

Because of the time needed to attend class, study, and work Rebecca did not go out on a date until after graduation, only because Lindsey had set her up on a blind date. Rebecca really didn't want to go but since she had been single for 3 years, she figured it was time to try and get back into the world of dating.

The first date didn't go so well.

The next first date went even worse.

Every first date Rebecca went on for a year never led to a second date. Some because they didnt have anything in common. Some because she just wasn't into them. Most because they didn't want to date a girl with a kid.

"That's it Linds. I've had enough. I'm swearing off men," Rebecca shouted into her phone.

"Why? What happened this time?" Lindsey asked.

"This guy was a complete ass. Telling me it's my fault I'm alone because I got knocked up and didn't have an abortion. Like what the hell is that shit?! He's lucky all I did was throw my drink in his face." Rebecca fumed as she fumbled with her keys in the lock of the door to her house.

"Oh my God. What an ignorant ass. I'm sorry Beck, I had no idea John would set you up with someone like that. I'm gonna kill him when I get off the phone." Rebecca could hear Lindsey take a swing at her boyfriend's arm on the other end of the call.

Rebecca opened the door to see Erica and Tyler playing on the floor of the living room with his Matchbox cars and trucks. "Hey bug, you having fun with Er?" She said as she walked over and kissed his head. She motioned to Erica that she was on the phone and walked into the kitchen to continue her conversation with Lindsey.

"I do not need to explain my choices and my life history to a jerk like that. Who the hell is he to tell me that I shouldn't have kept the baby?? I don't regret a single day that I've had that little boy in my life. I just regret that his father was too much of a baby to be a father to his son. And I'll be damned if I settle for anything less than the perfect guy to be in our lives and possibly be a father figure for my son." Rebecca poured two glasses of wine and went back into the living room.

She handed a glass to Erica and said to Lindsey, "Thanks for trying to find someone for me Linds, but I think I just need to find someone on my own. I gotta go put Tyler to bed. I'll talk to you tomorrow." She hung up the phone and placed it on the coffee table.

"I'm hopping the fence," Rebecca joked to Erica. "I know some chicks that would love you," Erica laughed.

"Nevermind. Chicks are crazy." Both girls laughed as Tyler climbed up into his mother's lap.

*******************************************************************

Rebecca could hear Tyler on the phone recounting the conversation they had earlier about the men she had met at the bar last night. She laughed to herself when she thought of how Lindsey, Erica and Tiffany were falling all over themselves trying to make an impression on the four guys.

Her cell phone rings and she sees that it's Erica. "Hey Er, what's up?"

"You should have stayed longer at the bar last night."

"No, Linds and I left at exactly the right time," she quipped.

"Not really. Scott couldn't stop talking about you after you guys left."

"What? Why?" Rebecca asked. She couldn't imagine why...she barely even talked to him after they came back over after finishing their meal.

"He said he thought you were interesting. Especially since you could give a crap who he is. I believe the word he used was mysterious." Erica laughed.

"Oh well. I could give a crap what he thinks of me. I don't need to impress anyone." Rebecca rolled her eyes. "It's not like I'm ever going to see him again."

"Becks, you dont need to be so guarded. They were just trying to be polite and make conversation. Not every guy is Brad or that guy Scott. Most guys are genuinely nice. You should let them show you." Erica had a touch of concern in her voice. "We're just trying to look out for you. We want you to be happy."

"I am happy Er. I've been single for a long time. I'm not looking to start a relationship, maybe I'll never need to be in a relationship. The only man I need is the one that I've got sitting in the other room. It's been 15 years since his father left, I think I can handle life without the drama." Rebecca said as she finished cleaning up the night's dinner dishes.

"I still can't believe that you haven't heard from him in all this time. He doesn't know what he's missing."

"It's better this way. We're better this way," Rebecca said, "But thanks for taking me out last night. It was nice to get away from the house for a bit."

"See, you should do it more often. Crap, that's Tiff calling in. I'll talk to you later, k?"

"Ok." Rebecca hung up the phone. Tyler could still be heard telling the story over and over in his room. She shook her head and clicked the remote to turn on the tv. Tyler had left the channel on Comcast SportsNet, and Rebecca saw a familiar face.

Tyler came out of his room and said, "I thought you didn't watch sports..."

"I don't. I just turned on the tv. It was already on this channel."

"Yeah sure. If you say so," Tyler laughed. "You gonna actually watch the game with me? I can explain it to you if you want to learn."

"I don't need to learn. You watch the game. I'm going to go take a bath." Rebecca went to the kitchen, poured a glass of wine, and retreated to her bedroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is two chapters without Scott. Have no fear, he'll be back soon. :-)