Put On a Show

Come back to me. I'm coming back to you, too.

“I’m fucking done!”

Please tell me I’ve got it wrong. You’re my loverboy, this can’t be happening.

“You never pay any attention to this relationship and I’m sick of it!”

Correction, you’re the one who’s always out, how do I give you what you want if you’re never here to receive it?

“Aren’t you going to fight back? Tell me I’m wrong, yell at me, hit me, do something! Even when I’m trying to break up with you, all I get is that fucking stupid stare you always give me!”

I’m trying, baby, I am. I don’t know how to control this, but you aren’t wrong anyway. You’re right, and I can’t hit you for being right.

“That’s the only thing you ever do, anymore! Just stare and barely even blink and… I can’t do this anymore! How am I supposed to deal with a boyfriend that’s practically half dead?”

My move is sure to come soon, I’ll snap out of this, I will. Just give it time, Alex, I’ll come around eventually.

“Please, Jack, I’m serious, just give me something. I can’t go on like this- I can’t keep trying if you don’t give me anything in return.”

I’m blinking, more than I have been. Is this not enough for you? It hurts me to try and do anything else.

“Don’t do this to me. Don’t… don’t do this to me! You’ve got to try! It’s not like you’re dead- you’re still here, you’re with me, I’m giving you all I have and I never get anything in return!”

Didn’t they tell you, Alex? I’m sick, too sick to please you. All I’ve got is my love and my eyes. This is all I can do- why are your expectations set so high for me?

“Jack! Can you even fucking hear me? Answer me! Answer me and tell me that you’re still here! Show me you still care, th-that you… that you still love me. Don’t you love me? Or is that too much of a feat for you, as well?”

No, no no no, I do love you, I do. Can’t you see it? Isn’t it obvious when you look into my eyes, when they’re overflowing with tears that I can’t even wipe away?

“I’m sorry, Jack, I’m so sorry, but… I-I can’t do this. I’m done with this hoping and waiting shit, it’s not getting us anywhere and if you’re never going to recover from this I’m not going to stick around just praying that you will. It’s… over. I’m sorry.”

Please don’t cry, please, please don’t. Don’t leave me, I need you, you’re the only thing that helps me get through this, the only will in the world that makes me want to try. I’m doing my best, Alex, please come back.

“What was that?”

Yes, that’s it, come back, come back to me, Lex. I’m coming back to you, too.

“Did your monitor just- oh my god, Jack are you- are you moving your fingers? This is incredible! You’re incredible!”

I’m sorry it took you so long to think that, darling. I’ll never keep you waiting again. Please stick around, I have so much more to give.

“Sir, we’re getting complaints from the surrounding rooms, we’re going to have to ask you to exit the building please. You’re disrupting the other patients.”

“No, no, please, he just- and I almost- I can’t go yet, please. Please! You can’t take me, please! Don’t do this, I have to stay with him!”

There’s no need to worry about me, I’ll be waiting for you to come back. Just take your time, and go, as long as you’re not leaving for good.

“Get your hands off of me! I’ll come back Jack, tomorrow, I-I’ll be back, I promise! Please stay with me!”

I promise too, Alex. Don’t you fret, angel. I won’t be going anywhere.
♠ ♠ ♠
so basically jack has brain damage or something (use your imagination) and alex is pissy and doesn't want to wait for jack to become fully responsive. if that all wasn't clear in this semi-confusing story.