Status: active.

Shattered Silence

The Sight of Shadows

Back at the Guard House the ale was flowing as well as the stories of conquest. The casualties were great but so were the spoils. Not only were daemons enslaved but some forest fae and shape shifters were to. King Mathias was even present as the procession of daemons entered the underground chambers of the castle to be broken-in and assigned their new role.

I sat at my table taking in as many conversations as I could. Everyone has different tales to tell, but one catches my attention. “I will say this. I think Mathias is pissed,” Private Burfort puts plainly.

“Why?” Another soldier from a different squad asks.

“Didn’t you hear? There was a high born.” The other soldier’s face falls.

“You mean a Vetersanguin?” My eye widens in shock. An Old Blood? Are they insane? If there really was a Vetersanguin daemon none of us would be alive to tell the tale. Rumors are Mathias has an enslaved Vetersanguin, but I’ve never seen it.

“No, whispers say there was a Heirkudo.” Impossible!? A Sacred Glory. Those are elf born. Mathias wiped the elves out as his first decree. It can’t be true. “Did you see the sudden storm and pink lightning?” The other soldier shakes his head. “Well supposedly only one soldier survived. He has some wicked burns, lucky if he makes it through the night. I caught a glimpse of him before he disappeared into the castle, probably to be questioned by Mathias. Poor sap,” Burfort’s tone is sympathetic but he cracks a smile.

“I wouldn’t worry too much about the poor sap, I would be more concerned about yourself. When do you go in for your lashings?” The other soldier smiles coyly. Burfort glares at him and looks down into his ale as the other soldier laughs loudly.

I turn back to the conversation at my table as Hollis hunches forward to whisper something to Private Evert and Ephraim. Hollis casts a sharp glance around before speaking. “Adams and Talis should’ve warned us. We lost way more fellow soldier than need be,” he whispers fiercely. His brown eyes darken.

I look down at my untouched ale. I can’t imagine what he’s feeling. Not only did he loose his brother in the raid but he also lost Hester. She and he were to be married before the king. Now all Hollis was, was alone.

“Adams and Talis can’t take all the blame,” Ephraim states, giving Hollis a comforting squeeze on the shoulder. “It’s those creatures,” he hisses. I shift in my seat. To them it may look as if I was leaning closer, but the reality was I suddenly become uncomfortable. I don’t know why but I brush it off as the hard bench causing armor to dig into my leg.

“Fucker’s. I swear on the life of my sweet Hester any daemon without a band will taste my steel.” It was a promise and a declaration. Evert and Ephraim hold up their mugs to toast. Hollis gives a great sigh and heaves his mug up. Their eyes turn to me and I pick up my mug. “Death to daemons one and all!” Hollis shouts and throws back his ale.

“Death to daemons one and all!” Evert, Ephraim, and I shout. We throw back our ale and the neighboring soldiers cheer and echo us.

As soon as my mug hits the table I see my mother sauntering around some of the men. I grimace as she chooses her nightly companion and drapes herself over his back and leans into his ear. I completely block out my table companions as I recognize the soldier she has chosen. Black hair peppered with gray it is undeniable Sergeant Major Adams. I cringe in horror at the stray thought that it might just be possible that he is my father.

I stand, no longer wanting to imagine just how many of the men here could be my father. “I’m out.” I wave to the boys ignoring their protests to celebrate and the taunts of the little lady must be exhausted after such a long day and no she has to get her rest or her midnight rendezvous will be disappointed in her performance. I smile ruefully over my shoulder and give them a departing gift of the bird.

Outside the main hall of the Guard House the halls are eerily quit. I can hear my steps echo off the walls and down the corridors as I make my way to the sleeping quarters. I push against the doors to the sleeping quarters only to find them locked. My brows rise in puzzlement. The doors are never locked. I try again thinking the ale is playing with my mind but the doors don’t budge.

I lean against the door, trying to think of the back way in and groan. It’s a long trip but all I want is my bed and to catch a few Z’s. I walk back the way I came but turn down a different corridor heading towards the castle. The lights along the walls burn dimmer than the torches closer to the Guard house.

I turn down another hallway, letting my mind ponder over the events of recent. As much as the raid was a success it was a botch. I cast a quick glance around even though my thoughts are safe in my head; I don’t feel safe thinking them. I adjust my armor and force myself to remember.

One second I am watching a gruesome display of a younger version of me getting gutted then suddenly I was viewing everything from up on a rooftop. My attention is caught by soldiers shouting loudly and I see a girl covered in blood running. The next second, I’m behind her. My heart hammered in fear that she saw me…jump, move through space, teleport-I’m not sure what to call it, but she drew her weapon. Her hazel eyes held distrust, disgust, and a hint of curiosity. I tried to calm her but she ran away.

I sigh, hoping that I blacked out. If I used magic that would make me….I stop and stomp my foot. I am not magical. I am a Guard. I hunt and kill Others. There is no chance I’m magical. I can’t be!

What makes you so sure? My eyes widen as I spin around, drawing my sword. However there is no one behind me. I scan the hall, keeping my sword at the ready. I shudder as the hall dims even more and my breath comes out as steam.

“Who’s there? Show yourself!” I shout keeping my voice strong. My voice echo’s off the walls for a time then silence takes over. I slowly spin in a circle and halt as I catch a torch snuff out. The smoke starts to drift upwards and then suddenly it darkens and grows larger and starts to swirl downwards. As soon as it touches the ground to starts to expand outwards. The smoke keeps turning like water.

I step back as a slight impression of a form starts to develop. It looks like a beast of some kind but it’s hard to tell. What’s the matter? Do I frighten you? I stop my body from trembling as its voice sneers at me.

“No. Why should I you’re nothing but smoke!” I hope my voice doesn’t waver.

That’s big talk for someone who’s seen night daemons devour Ordinary’s with shadows. The voice snickers.

“You mean me someone like me?” I correct it.

No I mean Ordinary’s. But wait that’s what you think you are. It mocks. Its voice sounding condescending.

“No that’s what I am. You’re nothing but a bunch of smoke and big talk. You’re not real,” I yell. I jump as there is a loud growl. Suddenly the smoke explodes forward as if leaping. I quickly store my sword and run towards the castle. If I can just make it down the corridor I will be in the castle. I push myself as I feel smoke ghost over my leg.

I shriek as I feel a claw of some type graze my leg. I skid around the corner crashing into to two people. Learn some respect. I untangle myself from the people saying words of apologies as I scan for the smoke, but it’s gone. I sigh in relief before I remember the people I ran into.

“I’m so sorry. I wasn’t looking where I was going. I…” I stop as I realize who I was helping up. I stagger back as the torch light makes the bands on the daemons neck glimmer.

These two daemons stand a foot higher than me. Their hair is pitch black as well are their eyes. They smile menacingly at me. Just from their clothes I can see they’re Mathias’s personal daemons.

“Who might you be? I would’ve remembered someone like you.” One quickly steps close to me and touches my hair rubbing it through his fingers. I jerk away from him and put my hands on my sword ready to pull it out.

“I’m a guard you daemon!” I spilt out. This makes them both laugh showing off their pointed teeth.

“Tell us Ordinary. Who might be chasing you?” The way he emphasize Ordinary sets my nerves on edge. They circle me sniffing at the air.

“None of your damn business!” I shout, trying to keep both of them in my view.

“Liar. But then again, you don’t know the truth.” They both laugh as they disappear down the hall heading towards the throne room. They glance one more time at me and disappear in smoke. Any anger I hold for them changes to fear. They know what was chasing me. How much more did they know?

Image

The next morning I groan as one of the passing soldiers bangs on my door to wake me up. Usually I’m the one banging on their doors but I had an awful nights rest. I feel like I didn’t sleep a wink. I push the covers away from me and get out of bed gathering up my clothes. Today we are meeting with Mathias to disgust the raid and the Other’s we captured.

I put on a part of faded leisure clothes trousers and lace up my boots. I grab a cream colored loose long-sleeved shirt and pull it over my head. I slow my movements as I puzzle over what my hands just brushed. I go to smooth out my hair and gasp. I rush to the mirror and almost shriek but barely keep it in.

Curling in my hair line is a set of horns. The bases sit on my temples and branch off into two sets. One pair curves backwards and up slightly and the second pair curls back behind my ears and downwards. They are small and thin, but I have a feeling they won’t be staying like that.

Panic sets in as I realize I’m magical and I have to face my squad and Mathias in less than an hour.