Status: active.

Shattered Silence

Two Divide

The four Others walk ahead of me. They talk quietly among themselves. They cast accusing glances at me. I can tell they don’t trust me and to be honest I don’t trust them. If I would’ve known Kalix was an Other, I would’ve turned her in, in a heartbeat.

I clinch my fists at my side. I hate them. I don’t know them, but I’ve seen how Others are. They’re all the same. Cold hearted, manipulating, high and mighty, bastards. I itch to grab my swords and…and… what kill them? I slump my shoulders. How can this be happening? I can’t be like them. I don’t want to be like them.

My shoulders slump even more as the swollen dark cloud over head pour down rain. I peek up at the Others and a spark of fear blooms. One of the four has somehow managed a clear barrier over them. They look as dry as day. My fear dies and emptiness replaces it. I look down dragging my feet. The armor is heavy and my feet are aching because of the extra water weight.

“Rune.” I jump as I suddenly run into Kalix. She looks at me unblinkingly with a multi colored stare. “You’re soaked and dragging behind. Get under the cover.” I make a move to back away and to say ‘no’, but Kalix moves to the side to make room for me. However, a woman dressed in a leather vest and a loose cream colored long-sleeved shirt moves into the space. Her hair is dark brown with sun-kissed highlights.

Her eyes narrow at me. “Kalix, I don’t think that’s such a good idea.” The girl looks pointedly at me. “For all we know she could be one of Mathias’s Cuffed demons. She is half daemon.” I bite my cheek to keep for saying something I would regret.

Kalix shifts from foot to foot. “Tuulikki, she’s not Cuffed. She’s being hunted down. Mathias tried to Cuff her but she got away. Unless they somehow made them invisible, which I doubt, she is not Cuffed. Besides the rain is slowing her down it will be faster if she travels under cover with us.”

“Whoa! Whoa! Kalix I think you misunderstood us.” The man with the dark colored satchel with books peeking out steps forward, ignoring me. “We said we were looking for you. We plan to take you to the rebels not her.” He points at me like I am nothing more than an animal.

Kalix face darkens. “Why not? She’s obviously on the run. You guys saw that. Explain this to me Ardor.” Ardor bites his lip and looks to the women in a deep purple dress.

The woman looks at me then looks back at Kalix. Kalix looks impatient now. “It has come to our attention that a select few, and by this I mean around four or so daemons, have been willingly helping King Mathias. We have to suspect her. You have to wonder how she escaped.”

My jaw drops and I hear Kalix gasp. “You can’t be serious?!” I speak before I can stop myself. Suddenly the three stiffen. They act like they forgot I am here.

“Kalix, can we speak to you alone.” The three look at me, as if they could mentally shove me away. Honestly there is nothing more I would like to do than walk away. Being around them is making my skin crawl. And who knows what they could do. However, I hadn’t heard anything about willing daemons and I want to know.

“Sanura, she’s not like that. I saw how scared she was, how scared she still is.” Kalix glances at me. I can see pity in her eyes. I want to hate her, but she helped me and saved me.

When none of the three say anything I got the hint. I put my hands up. “I got it.” Kalix goes to stop me by reaching for my wrist and I freak out. I jump back and fall into the mud. “Don’t touch me!” Instantly I regret what comes out of my mouth. Her ears droop a little and her eyes sadden, but then she stiffens and looks at me with cold eyes.

“Fine,” she whispers and looks away. I can see her putting on another guise and wish I could just accept the kindness of an Other. Yet there is a fear in me. An old fear that has been buried with a memory I have forgotten.

I stumble to my feet and back away. Finally after a few feet, I see the three circle Kalix and start whispering to her. Their hands move rapidly as they try to explain to Kalix what’s going on. Kalix shakes her head and I see her lips form ‘no’ over and over.

After some time Kalix walks over to me, her colorful dragon hovering over her shoulder. “They won’t take me if you come.” I look off to the side.

“I sort of figured that.” We both stand there as the rain falls over us. I can tell she wants to go, but she doesn’t want to leave me. My heart aches at the thought that she still cares after how I treated her. “Go I will be fine.”

Kalix laughs and snorts. “I’ve seen how you fare in the forest. I wouldn’t say ‘fine’.” Silence descends on us.

“Seriously go. I can see how much you want to go. I was raised a soldier. Adapt and overcome.” I grimace as I say it. I haven’t really adapted or overcame.

“If you think so…Well Rune this is goodbye then. I’m sure our paths will cross again.” She sticks out her hand and I just stare. I don’t want to touch her. “Right.” Kalix takes her hand back waves and walks away.

Image

Figuring it would be unwise to head in the same direction as the Others, I decide to take a break. The trees are thick on either side of the trail. I scan them until I find one with descent coverage. Finally I spot one where the undergrowth is relatively dry. I lean against the truck and slide to the ground.

Finally you’re alone. I stiffen as the shadows from the coming night sudden move in a smoky fluidity. Fear grips my heart, but I’m too tried to act on it. I sit quietly, hoping if I ignore the shadow creature it will disperse and leave. Fat chance. I’m not leaving. I’ve been waiting all day until those so called rebels finally decided to ditch you.

I shift uncomfortably. “Why does it matter if I stayed with them or not. They’re Others. I bet they knew you were here the whole time.” A shiver racks through my body as a gust of wind blows by. I slowly start to peel off my armor and wet clothes.

The smoke jerks around as I hear it laugh. You really are ignorant. I jerk off the last of my armor and toss on the ground, as the shade laughs. Frist, they don’t think you even have a familiar, you’re only half magical. Second, remember Kalix’s dragon. Neither you nor that sorcerer knew she was even there.

I stop undressing and open my mouth to speak. Lesson one, Familiars can’t be sensed by other magical being. I raise my finger to argue that point, when he could’ve just hover on the fringe. Let me finish! The smoke snaps. I curl into myself and gesture for him to continue. While we can’t be sensed as a familiar our present can still be known as another magical being.

I sit quietly and wait to see if he has more to say. When the silence stretches on I try my hand at talking. “Are you done?” The smoke shifts in a way I assume to be yes. “You’re not my familiar. You attacked me when we first meet. Familiar’s are supposed to protect.”

Do not tell me what a familiar is supposed to do. Your whole life you’ve thought yourself Ordinary, you know nothing of the Other world. And no matter how much you deny it. I was and will be your familiar. The smoke swirls around getting closer to the ground.

“Are you saying you’ve been watching ever sense I was born?” I ask giving him the eye. I pause thinking it better to hold off on completely getting nude.

Ever since you were conceived. Familiar’s come into creation with their charge. It just a matter of meeting said charge. Finally the smoke seemed to settle on the ground, but it was still just a mass of ever changing darkness.

“That’s creepy.” I suddenly feel very self-conscious. “Do you think you could leave? I would like to get out of these wet clothes.” I pull my bag to me. The bag is heavier than I remember and realization hits me. “Could my day get any worse.” I pull out my sopping wet clothes and toss them on the ground. With this rain they won’t dry out and it’s just extra weight. “Great now I’m stuck in these clothes.”

You’re still thinking like an Ordinary. I turn my head to snap back that I am an Ordinary, when suddenly I get a face full of smoke. I feel sight tugging in my hair, on my clothes, and my skin. I swat my hands but it’s useless. My vision is useless. My heart starts to beat faster. This is how I’m going too died.

Don’t be so dramatic. My vision clears and the smoke takes to hovering over the ground again. I’m a creature of black as you are a daemon of smoke and ash. There are many things you can do and many things you need to learn.

My brows knit together as I take in my appearance. Gone are my soldier’s clothes. In their place are form-fitting soot colored soft soled boots, leggings, and a long-sleeved tunic. My hair is done in a braid and my skin is clear of water and cold. Sitting on my shoulders is a thick soot colored, fur lined cloak.

“What did you do?” I stand and realize I am no longer sore. I glance around and to my surprise my things are all gone except a small sack and my two swords.

I did what any familiar would do, I took care of my charge. Now gather you things. It’s time to get moving. You have a lot to learn. The smoke raises and circles around the trees going in and out of the rain.

“But’s it almost dark?” I gather my swords and strap them on my back and shoulder my sack.

You’re a daemon of smoke and ash, remember? The night is where you will learn.

I stop moving and watch the smoke dance around. I question my motive of why I’m willing to trust this thing I can’t even see, something that not less than four days ago I would’ve been trying to kill or Cuff. Now here I am following its orders. For some reason it feels right and I finally feel safe. I close my eyes and make up my mind. I can’t go back, so I will try to change for the sake of me.

Looks like someone is starting to come about. I open my eyes and gasp in surprise. Standing before me on hooves was a creature like no other. It was similar to a horse, but’s tail and mane were ever changing smoke. Its muzzle and face was encased in obsidian armor with amber energy creating random designs. Protruding from the top of his armor are two massively curing horns plated with obsidian. Two unblinking blue eye’s stare at me. Scattered about his body are plates of obsidian armor with the same energy coursing through.

It’s nice to finally meet you. I’m Deimos.